Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello fellow members,

I'm pretty sure some of you had already gone through tire purchase, I'm in need of a tire; the rear one to be exact.
So like the thread title, what's your best tire of choice.

I'm mostly commuting and A bit of Canyon riding so what's the best tire I should buy? Should I get the stock tire again or Q3 or what is the best choice for the type of riding that I do.
Dora's different pattern tire mess with the bikes handling? I'm not an expert and that's why I'm asking the vets here on what kind of tire should I be getting?

The is in advance and ride safe everyone

·
Registered
4,616 Posts
There seem to be a lot of personal preference choices made by fellow bloggers, but the majority of what I've read on here were running Michelin Pilot Road 4. Sounds like they're great performers getting very high miles before wearing out.

Do not replace with original stock tires. Most owners have a pretty low opinion of them.

·
Registered
657 Posts
It is not generally recommended to run mis-matched tires. If you are looking to change tire models/brands, it's better to replace both front and rear.

As for tire selection, there's many, many options and opinions. For a commuter/occasional canyon slayer, I'd recommend a tire with dual compounds. Better milage for the commute, and better grip for the canyons. Again, everyone will have a differing opinion on tires.

Reactions: stuarth

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I still have a lot of thread left n the front and I don't feel like throwing money just to have matching tires, the rear tire is loosing air and it doesn't have lots of thread left. What should I do?

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
If still replace both. Saving a few hundred is not worth potentially risking your life.

·
Registered
883 Posts
I still have a lot of thread left n the front and I don't feel like throwing money just to have matching tires, the rear tire is loosing air and it doesn't have lots of thread left. What should I do?
Last spring, I replaced the rear stock tire but not the front until several weeks later. Looking back, replacing both would have been the better choice.

Your rear tire is losing air and doesn't have a lot of tread left. Replacing the rear tire ASAP is essential; not much of a choice there. But consider replacing the front tire soon after if not at the same time.

I have Pirelli Angel GTs, 'sport touring' tires. The PR4s are great tires, though. I may purchase them next time to have a comparison.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Second the do both if changing brands, I also do the same type of riding as you and although I haven't done it on the FZ yet, not my first bike so really it comes down to your preference between Pilot Road 4s, Bridegstone Battleaxe BT023s or Pereli Angel GTs, I guess one could include q3s with that, my personal preference is dunlops are the only tire ive ever replaced while they still had tread because I hated them that much. out of the other 3, the bridgestones are happy upright or at full lean, they are twitchy inbetween, the PR4 is the best in the wet but walks a bit in the dry and is easily overheated if pushing the pace for any kind of distance. I have nothing but compliments for the Angel GTs, they do take a bit more effort to turn in but after about a week you wont even notice it. if it really bothers you lowering the front a cm or raising the rear a cm will balance it back out

·
Registered
88 Posts
My riding style sounds similar to yours. However, I intentionally make smooth control inputs and maintain momentum. I never indulge in "Hey fellas, watch this!!" moments. I'd recommend, like others have, dual compound sport touring tires. You need grippy rubber for cornering, high mileage rubber for upright. If you need stickier center rubber for hard acceleration/ braking, at least you'll be upright when you discover the fact. Using dual compound for years on Wee Strom 650's and an old air cooled Duc Monster 1000. They aren't as powerful as the 09, but never had traction issues. Have Mich. PR4 on FZ. Only 130 miles of cold wet roads on them so far, but didn't have a single slip. I normally burn through true "sport" tires at 3000 mile intervals. I can't afford that bill.

·
Registered
420 Posts
I put a new PR4 on the back but left the Bridgestone on the front as it looked barely used. I can't believe that other riders find that a problem. They remind me of the princess and the pea. If I was racing Valentino then having both tires match is probably important. The overall feel improved and I didn't note any problems other than a bit rough feeling over uneven pavement.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I really liked my Avon distanzia's on my sm bike, was thinking about a pair on the fz as I do like to hit gravel roads and the real twisty awesomeness is on roads that have real bad bumpy gravely sections .
Oh and I oly change the tire if it needs it and never had a front tire wear down as fast as the front .
When I lived by an mx track I'd go get tires out of the dumpster that had lots of life left .

·
Premium Member
341 Posts
I always mismatch my tires. Often different brands too. I usually change the rear twice before changing the front. Iv'e done this since the 80's with no issues and about everyone that I know personally does the same. And I know alot of riders.

·
Registered
883 Posts
Several members have posted 'mixing' tires, mismatching, different brands. However, I had a 'sport touring' Pirelli Angel GT rear tire with a ‘sportbike’ Dunlop SportMax D214 front tire before eventually replacing the front tire with an Angel GT. I'm curious about your thoughts on mixing tire types (compounds) as well as brands.

Actually, I'm more than curious as my current rear tire will be ready for replacement in a couple months.

·
Registered
470 Posts
My FZ09 is now a year old with 5,000 miles on the odometer. After some research on this forum seems folks opted for the Road Pilot 4's. Got these tires for 407. balanced and aligned. First thing I noticed is my braking power improved. Next, I always feel a slight slip of the tires going over bridge expansion joints on my favorite on ramp, the RP 4's have no slip over these metal grates. I rode in the rain on my commute to and from, big difference in traction from the stock tire's.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Several members have posted 'mixing' tires, mismatching, different brands. However, I had a 'sport touring' Pirelli Angel GT rear tire with a ‘sportbike’ Dunlop SportMax D214 front tire before eventually replacing the front tire with an Angel GT. I'm curious about your thoughts on mixing tire types (compounds) as well as brands.

Actually, I'm more than curious as my current rear tire will be ready for replacement in a couple months.
this is exactly why some people don't run mismatched tires. if you have both sport or both sport touring you may notice minor handling changes, but if you mismatch tire types then while leaned over in your favorite corner you run the risk of one end stepping out while the other sticks. if its the back end stepping out and you have some dirt experience it might make for a butt pucker type moment but is savable, if the front steps out and the back sticks your down, regardless of your skill level or how many other bikers you know that do this. your not guaranteed to die if you ride without gear and many riders do it daily, does that make it a good idea? mismatched tires falls in the same catagory

Reactions: redeye

·
Super Moderator
5,734 Posts
Pilot Road IV tires are hard to beat when it comes to riding in the rain/wet conditions, as well as good mileage because of the harder compound in the center section of the tire. Stick in the corner is decent also, but of course isn't going to compare to a pure sport/trackday tire. It all just depends on what your riding and usage needs are. I run the Road III's on my ST1300 and ride it somewhat aggressively through the twisties, and I've never once felt it push or slip unless there was something on the road that caused it......gravel, oil, etc.

And for what it's worth........I'm not a big fan of mismatching tire brands. I would however use, say a Pilot road III and a IV together, but those tires are used, as stated above, on my ST1300 and I certainly don't push it like I do the FZ09

·
Registered
657 Posts
I still stand where mis-matching isn't ideal. Matching different compounds and profiles when you only have two very small contact patches with the road doesn't sit with me. It is however an opinion based on theory, not real scientific results, just like what oil is best, at what intervals, and how to break in your new engine.

I wouldn't even be comfortable running two same brand tires. Having an Angel GT on the back and SuperCorsa on the front would be crazy. The profiles are apples and oranges. It would probably cause the bike to cartwheel into the stratosphere at initial turn-in, potentially hitting the sun and ending our planet as we know it. YMMV.

Reactions: redeye

·
Registered
883 Posts
It would probably cause the bike to cartwheel into the stratosphere at initial turn-in, potentially hitting the sun and ending our planet as we know it.
I knew someone would come along with the straight scoop! :D

1 - 20 of 21 Posts