Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been sitting here for three plucking hours trying to get brake disc in pads, while keeping caliper on the retainer, while holding wheel up, while keeping dust seals from falling out, while trying to keep axel sleeve from moving around so that I can slide axel in and I am about to go phucking postal and stick some damn c-4 in the tailpipe and blow the whole damn thing all to hell.

Am I missing something here? I have changed a million rear tires but this assembly is absolutely insane!

I can't even get the disc in the pads without the caliper popping out of the retainer groove.

·
Registered
342 Posts
stick your tongue out always helps me.....ive had it fall in and the next time had to fiddle with it for a few minutes.....feel your pain....

·
Registered
474 Posts
Ok Knobby - You have passed that point. Crack a beer or go for a walk, just get away from it for a few minutes.

It is a pain, but I did it with a length of a aluminum rod. Someone else suggested a dowel - either way it helps to keep wheel, seals, etc in alignment while you fiddle with the brake.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Hi Knobby, I had just been wondering why you'd been inactive on the forum so long, too bad your return isn't for a happier reason lol.

The shop manual says to take the caliper off the carrier, I didn't, it went ok putting it back together.

The only thing I really had trouble with is the spacer inside the wheel between the bearings, way more trouble than any bike I can remember. It fell out of place easily and then would jam. Next time I'll try a wood dowel slightly smaller diameter than the axle and a bit less than the width of the outer faces of the bearings. Maybe an old broom handle will work? While you have the axle out what is the diameter? If I recall right the diameter at the threads is a it less, but that diameter might be good.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
To answer the question in the thread title, going by what a dealer would charge for installing a rear wheel it must take 3 people 20 minutes. ;)

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
I always take the caliper off... I could never get the damn thing on by myself with it still installed... Two people make it much easier.

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
a guy i take my bike to for work showed me how to do it myself. He had me use a piece of 2x4 right under my crotch to hold the tire up - i was fairly nervous given the potential danger of ball tapping myself for the first time in my life, but it was actually really helpful.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Oh I feel your pain. It's not a simple task. I'm for sure going to try a pipe or dowel through the wheel next time to keep everything concentric.

That spacer inside of the wheel is a pain. Also, if the rear brake line was an inch or two longer, it would make things much easier.

·
Premium Member
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok, so I took the caliper off, went and ate dinner, came back and then the wheel went right on in a snap.

So, thanks to all for advising me to take the caliper off first. Saved me a ton of grief !

Sorry for bring gone so long, I started a few forums and a new time consuming job and they take up a lot of freakin time!

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
With caliper off, it's a breeze

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
hahaha, just stumbled upon this thread. I had the same damn problems a few weekends ago after putting on new sprocket! I ended up pushing a 1/2" extension through the opposite side to hold the spacer "centered' then pushed the axle bolt through as i pulled the extension out the opposite side.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts