Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My bike has only 100 miles on it so far and it has never started on the first try. Usually i have to crank it for 5 to 10 seconds, stop cranking , crank it again with a little bit of throttle and then finally it will start. Today i took it out after not starting it for a couple days and i cranked it for about 10 seconds the first time, then stopped, cranked it for 5 seconds, stopped, cracked the throttle and cranked it for a couple more seconds and it finally started up.

Thats not normal is it? Any idea whats wrong before i drop it back off to the dealer? Ive also started to hear rattling when cruising in 6th gear sometimes, and i hear a slight rattle from the clutch lever side when i first start it for intermittently for about 30 seconds.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
I'd guess that the noises you hear riding aren't related to the starting problem. Have you put any gas in it since you got it? If you have put gas in you had the problem before?

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Rattle has nothing to do with it. Did you ever pull the tank or airbox off for any reason?
Nope

I'd guess that the noises you hear riding aren't related to the starting problem. Have you put any gas in it since you got it? If you have put gas in you had the problem before?
Ive put one tank of gas in it other than the tank the dealer filled it up with. It did the same thing on the dealers tank of gas. Its only on cold starts and since it was driven around at the dealership by the tech that put it together it started fine when i started it at the dealership. Next morning, took 2 cranks at 5 seconds each before it sputterd to life. Ever since then its been the same thing every cold start. Seems like the longer i go without starting it, the longer it takes it to fire up.

I guess its back to the dealership for me!

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
What's your start procedure?

Are you letting the fuel system prime and the electronics go through all of their self checks, or are you just turning the key and hitting the start button?

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I turn the key, wait till the cluster does its dance, and then hit the start button. How long do you guys wait?

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
can you hear your fuel pump prime? I don't. I hear a buzzing when i turn the key to the on position, but it never stops. I dont know about this bike, but cars have a 3 sec prime if you turn the key to the on position. Its noticeable, but i don't hear that on the bike.

·
Registered
160 Posts
What's your start procedure?

Are you letting the fuel system prime and the electronics go through all of their self checks, or are you just turning the key and hitting the start button?
everytime i start my biike i turn the key let the dash thing do its thing then flip the switch down and let it do it's thing then give the button a nice solid push, ive noticed if i dont give the switch a good push it would not start up lol but my bike start in a second like half turn of the starter lol...that a little exaggerated but yall get what im sayin. i think..

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Waiting for the end of the cluster dance should be fine (about 3 seconds or so). I just figured it was worth asking.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Mine starts right up. I let the cluster do its dance, then hit the start button 2-3 seconds max. I always here the fuel pump prime when I turn the key on.

Then I ride it like I stole it.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Mine starts right up. I let the cluster do its dance, then hit the start button 2-3 seconds max. I always here the fuel pump prime when I turn the key on.

Then I ride it like I stole it.
Ok im really starting to think my fuel pump is'nt priming because other than a constant buzzing that wont stop even if i leave it on for a minute, i don't hear any pump priming. Not like the prime on my buell sounded.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Just double checked... When i turn the key to the on position there is no pump prime noise. When i flip the switch down to the position before starting, i hear a relay click under the seat but thats it. Does your pump prime when you turn the key on, or when you turn the switch on?

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I never turn my kill switch off, never.

YOU'RE THE MAN!!!! Dude if you're ever in MD look me up because i owe you a beer. When i turn the key to the on position with the switch already in the on position, i hear a prime. Thanks you so much. Dude at the dealership should have told me that.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts