Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

41 - 53 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
I think that T/C and ABS are great for rider aids, and almost all bikes now will have them.
This is true.

My main problem with ABS on the XSR/FZ-09 is that it cannot be disabled at the rear wheel. This should be possible via switch or button, not by removing fuses, etc. I really like the TC in TC-1 mode. I think the rider modes are nice, too.

·
Registered
4,934 Posts
Lol, ABS and Traction Control are SAFETY FEATURES, not SAVE MY A$$ FEATURES. It's great if they have saved your arse, that is a good thing, but you have to ask yourself. Did it save your arse because you were riding to fast for road conditions? not paying attention? or out riding your skill level? If it was one of those three things, there is a good chance they will probably fail you next time. :(
You missed the point. They didn't save my butt, no nanny system yet designed can aim a car at the only available gap to avoid another car sliding straight at it. They just hit the brakes, or attempt to avoid loss of control, they do not steer the car.
Nothing to do with going too fast, outriding myself etc.
And, people are using them as save my arse features, the Tesla v truck crash is one example, and the comments from people in general about those systems clearly show that they think these things will cheat the laws of physics and save them every time.

And I'm with you on engine braking, why do people want a 4 stroke to feel like a 2 stroke? Or don't they know how to rev match?

Reactions: Rocky_MTN_FZ09

·
Registered
4,441 Posts
You missed the point. They didn't save my butt, no nanny system yet designed can aim a car at the only available gap to avoid another car sliding straight at it. They just hit the brakes, or attempt to avoid loss of control, they do not steer the car.
Nothing to do with going too fast, outriding myself etc.
And, people are using them as save my arse features, the Tesla v truck crash is one example, and the comments from people in general about those systems clearly show that they think these things will cheat the laws of physics and save them every time.

And I'm with you on engine braking, why do people want a 4 stroke to feel like a 2 stroke? Or don't they know how to rev match?
No worries, I know exactly what you mean, I was adding to what you already said. I personally hate all these lazy new electronic safety feature they are coming out with, like "lane departure warning"???? Seriously, you need a flashing light and warning buzzer to go off, to tell you to stay in your own lane. How about paying attention to where you are driving, lol.

The only ABS system I would want on a motorcycle is one that still lets you steering the bike, like the new Bosch ABS.

But even then, good old fashion riding skills are your best safety system on any bike.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi, Guys i just bought the 2018 MT-09 and i love it, i upgraded from a 2017 KTM DUKE 390 and its a big step up, i drive it B mode with Tcs on 1 as A mode and STD is a bit snappy so im hoping to get used to the bike, im hearing talk of an Ecu flash? whats
woulf that do for me? is it to early to say i regret jumping up to the MT-09 from the Duke or should i wait and get used to riding as i only have it a wet day havnt really rode it much, any suggestions?
thanks

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
The 18 is a pussycat compared to the 14-16 models. If you find it snatchy, adjust the free play out of the throttle and check the chain slack. Too much slack in the chain may make it feel snatchy.

I'll say this without having a clue what your riding skill is like but give it time and you should get used to it.

Sent from my SM-G973W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
The 18 is a pussycat compared to the 14-16 models. If you find it snatchy, adjust the free play out of the throttle and check the chain slack. Too much slack in the chain may make it feel snatchy.

I'll say this without having a clue what your riding skill is like but give it time and you should get used to it.

Thanks man ill take your advice and see how i get on

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Stay in B mode until you are confident. There's nothing wrong with not using all the engine all the time. The flash is great.
The nice thing about the B mode from '17 on is that it does use all the engine, it just applies it at a much slower rate than STD and A modes.

·
Registered
Test
51 Posts
I used A mode for the first time today. Noticeable difference. Definitely more snap.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I still ride in b mode on my 17' after a year , yes you get full power just slower .

Still can roll on wheelie 1st to 3rd no clutch up wot so not that much slower with a 44t rear .

·
Registered
105 Posts
Forget the ECU flash for your 2018. That's a 2014 problem.

Just stay in B mode until you're comfortable and then graduate to Standard. Forget about A mode.

Also learn to relax your hands. Keep your abs tight, and hug the tank with your knees.

Biggest issue I had in the beginning was steering shake while upshifting under hard acceleration. The trick is to clutch with two fingers, and grip with the other two.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Thanks man ill take your advice and see how i get on
Remember: “With great power, comes great responsibility...” Yep you stepped up to a much more powerful bike, just remember to be smooth, and if your getting cocky, spend 20 minutes on YouTube reminding yourself that cocky usually ends up with road rash.

That being said, these are sweet bikes and will be a ton of fun! I’ve toured, done track days and lots of day trips on mine! I don’t have a job I can commute on a moto, or else I’d get more kms on it too.

Reactions: LouG
41 - 53 of 53 Posts