Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
548 Posts
I wasn't trying to be condescending at all sorry if it came off that way. I still have not flashed the ECU and not really sure if I ever will. I would hate to have trouble after doing so and then not being able to utilize me warranty. It hasn't been problem yet.
I had mine 3 years and 10K plus miles before I had mine flashed. I lived with it stock. Happy I got it flashed. I got it flashed to my specs not anyone else's

·
Registered
52 Posts
I wasn't trying to be condescending at all sorry if it came off that way. I still have not flashed the ECU and not really sure if I ever will. I would hate to have trouble after doing so and then not being able to utilize me warranty. It hasn't been problem yet.

It's your bike. Make it like you want it to be today. Don't wait...I've flashed 3 bikes and it improved them all. It's not just HP....it's speedo correction, fan temps on/off, improved throttle response, adding a quickshifter, removal of the RPM governor in 5th and 6th gear, etc.

Flashing an ECU might just be the best value mod a rider can do!

The dealer must PROVE you damaged the bike to deny a warranty claim. The burden of proof is not on the rider.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I'm waiting for more data to trickle in on the 2017 model before considering an ECU flash. Although, ya'll make it damn tempting preaching this gospel.

·
Registered
4,924 Posts
TC is a life saver. Even with it turned on, level 1, it still occasionally will raise the front tire slightly. Level 2 definitely keeps it down.
I have never had TC on a bike. I am still alive. ( I think)

I may regret this post, I'm off for a ride.

Reactions: Rocky_MTN_FZ09

·
Registered
282 Posts

LouG the kiwi, may god rest his soul,
The road had finally taken its toll;
For as he swiftly rounded the wide bend in the road,
Only traction control would have saved him from that godamn toad.

Amen

·
Registered
4,924 Posts
Nope. I'm baaaack. Safe and sound, bloody hate grit in the middle of corners though.

Reactions: Cb750

·
Registered
356 Posts

To me, I'd rather have a safety feature and never using it, than needing a safety feature and it not being there.

Think of your car having airbags. There's a 99% chance you never have used them, but when you need them you'll be glad they're there.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
They also make bikes that are automatic, want one of those? Or a trike, 3 wheels have to be safer than two, right? As its deemed to be "more safe" because your doing less and paying more attention on the road? No thanks

But if I am buying a "new" bike and have the money to throw at it, why not, get the bells and whistles

Just be aware that 20 years from now, when you complain they have taken all the fun out of riding, you look back at how it all started. These "more safe" features play a role in it.

two words - "autonomous vehicles"

another two words - "automatic transmission"

·
Registered
356 Posts
They also make bikes that are automatic, want one of those? Or a trike, 3 wheels have to be safer than two, right? As its deemed to be "more safe" because your doing less and paying more attention on the road? No thanks

But if I am buying a "new" bike and have the money to throw at it, why not, get the bells and whistles

Just be aware that 20 years from now, when you complain they have taken all the fun out of riding, you look back at how it all started. These "more safe" features play a role in it.

two words - "autonomous vehicles"

another two words - "automatic transmission"
I'm confused at your post. Your statement about automatic and three wheels you say "no thanks", but the thing about buying a new bike you say "why not".

I wanted to respond, but I can't figure out what you're for or against.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Lmao, exactly....

If you own the bike, why are you asking how is standard and b modes. Did you research at all before ypu bought the bike? Get out and ride it man, others cant tell you how you feel about somerhing.

Congrats on wasting all of our time OP, as i did yours by rambling on

sorry just in bad mood today, ill be better tomorrow...

·
Registered
356 Posts
Lmao, exactly....

If you own the bike, why are you asking how is standard and b modes. Did you research at all before ypu bought the bike? Get out and ride it man, others cant tell you how you feel about somerhing.

Congrats on wasting all of our time OP, as i did yours by rambling on

sorry just in bad mood today, ill be better tomorrow...
The OP doesn't own the bike yet, and never got to try B mode, so they asked a question. I think you may be confused at who the OP is?

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
yes, i was, my bad

·
Registered
4,441 Posts
I'm considering one even before I get an exhaust. Mostly for the reduced engine braking.
I don't know why so many people don't like the engine braking?

I like it for two reasons:

1). works great for slowing down and not having to touch the brakes.

2). it forces you to learn how to use smooth throttle control.

And before the hates chime in, I know the engine braking drives some people crazy, lol.

·
Registered
4,924 Posts
To me, I'd rather have a safety feature and never using it, than needing a safety feature and it not being there.

Think of your car having airbags. There's a 99% chance you never have used them, but when you need them you'll be glad they're there.
Nope. ABS is a good thing. The rest is just an excuse for feckless wankers to do everything but drive. And, I know that of which I speak, I avoided an accident that no nanny system could have coped with.

·
Registered
4,441 Posts
Nope. ABS is a good thing. The rest is just an excuse for feckless wankers to do everything but drive. And, I know that of which I speak, I avoided an accident that no nanny system could have coped with.
Lol, ABS and Traction Control are SAFETY FEATURES, not SAVE MY A$$ FEATURES. It's great if they have saved your arse, that is a good thing, but you have to ask yourself. Did it save your arse because you were riding to fast for road conditions? not paying attention? or out riding your skill level? If it was one of those three things, there is a good chance they will probably fail you next time. :(

·
Registered
356 Posts
I think that T/C and ABS are great for rider aids, and almost all bikes now will have them.

As far as riding modes (the topic of the thread), I find I only switch them when rain comes, and that's maybe twice a month. So people who say that these electronics just get in your way, I don't see the point. It's not like you'd fiddling with riding modes and T/C settings constantly.

If your traction control and ABS are coming on constantly and getting in your way when riding on the street, then I think you
(1) need some riding lessons
(2) need to take your riding to a track

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
I think that T/C and ABS are great for rider aids, and almost all bikes now will have them.

As far as riding modes (the topic of the thread), I find I only switch them when rain comes, and that's maybe twice a month. So people who say that these electronics just get in your way, I don't see the point. It's not like you'd fiddling with riding modes and T/C settings constantly.

If your traction control and ABS are coming on constantly and getting in your way when riding on the street, then I think you
(1) need some riding lessons
(2) need to take your riding to a track
Agree with that

or

get a bike you can handle if its to much for you

·
Registered
121 Posts
I have a 2015 '09 and haven't flashed my bike. I end up cycling through the modes depending on my mood.

Most of the time I'm in default STD mode, but I'll switch through the modes during a ride.

B mode if I feel like cruising along taking in the sites (as best I can), stuck in traffic. or when I start to get tired, it's also my default rain setting

A mode if I really feel like gunning it and acting like I'm a lot younger than I actually am.The power delivery is instant compared with STD & B

The majority of the time is spent in STD though.

21 - 40 of 53 Posts