Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally got a chance to ride the FZ 09, but didnt get a chance to try it out in standard/B mode

How are they in comparison to "A"(aka, crazy mode)

How is the throttle response/power? Is the bike smoother in standard or b?

Thanks

·
Registered
4,924 Posts
Standard has a slightly slower throttle response, eg, like a standard throttle tube against a quick action tube. B mode is softer still with about 10hp off the top.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I typically ride STD mode. I think it's ideal. It's not sluggish or anything and it's slightly more forgiving with the throttle

·
Registered
30 Posts
The A mode is definitely sharper and I can understand why people think of it as snatchy. Personally, I prefer it and it does seem to deliver the power slightly differently to me.

·
Registered
356 Posts
I like riding around in A mode every day, but when I rains I switch to B mode. I never use Standard Mode.

I still do find A mode more snatchy than my old 600rr, my only bike for comparison. I recently went through a construction zone and as I hit bumps and divots the small changes in my throttle hand made the bike jerk around. I learned that if I'm going to be hitting any bumps at all then B mode is best so I don't put too much input into the throttle.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
These bikes are drive by wire. The only thing the modes do is change how much the throttle opens vs how far you twist the throttle.

Twisting a 1/4 turn in B mode might open the throttle 50%, while twisting a quarter turn in A mode might give you 80% or 90% throttle.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
These bikes are drive by wire. The only thing the modes do is change how much the throttle opens vs how far you twist the throttle.

Twisting a 1/4 turn in B mode might open the throttle 50%, while twisting a quarter turn in A mode might give you 80% or 90% throttle.
Also, 100% throttle cannot be had in B mode.

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
67 Posts
Considering the 2017: If you read the owners manual, for this section on "Driving Modes", it explains what each does rather simply. Nothing changes with the amount of power delivered. It always stays the same. It is simply how the power is delivered but eventually you still get the same power. A is sharper response from low to mid. STN is equal sharpness from low to high, B is slower response from low to high. Regardless, if you push the bike all the way its going to reach the same top speed in any mode.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Considering the 2017: If you read the owners manual, for this section on "Driving Modes", it explains what each does rather simply. Nothing changes with the amount of power delivered. It always stays the same. It is simply how the power is delivered but eventually you still get the same power. A is sharper response from low to mid. STN is equal sharpness from low to high, B is slower response from low to high. Regardless, if you push the bike all the way its going to reach the same top speed in any mode.
All of this information from the OEM is irrelevant for the majority of us. Most of us get an ecu flash, which means its up to the flash "person" to relate to you what is being done, or what you request. A flashed ecu is the best mod you can do to this bike. Well maybe better suspension, but its definitely up there.

Of course I am speaking from a 2015 model. so the newer fz's may be better than the oem of yesteryear...

·
Registered
4,924 Posts
They must have changed the '17, dyno figures I've seen for the early bikes had less power in B. Perhaps it's to do with having traction control on the latest ones, anyone know if the first XSR's with TC have full power B mode?

·
Registered
4,441 Posts
They must have changed the '17, dyno figures I've seen for the early bikes had less power in B. Perhaps it's to do with having traction control on the latest ones, anyone know if the first XSR's with TC have full power B mode?
According to this old article there was a power difference between the modes.

2014 Yamaha FZ-09 Road Test | Rider Magazine | Rider Magazine

The power curve in the above article.

web-2014-Yamaha-FZ-09-dyno-run2-CHART.jpg

As for my 14 FZ-09, there is a definite power difference in B Mode especially in the lower and mid rpm's. I am not in the habit of bouncing my bike off the rev limiter in any mode though, lol.

·
Registered
4,924 Posts
14's were for real men. I speet on your feelthy traction control.

·
Registered
548 Posts
for my 2014, I liked B mode so much, I had VCylenut make it smoother and I made it STD on the gauge when I turn on the FZ-09 (default B mode but indicates STD). I now get smoother twisty riding because of the smooth throttle and if I twist it 80-90 percent it remain smooth during all the acceleration. But, the last little bit (say 10k on) is like a supercharger kicking in. I have no doubt it is not limited in power if it was when stock.

·
Registered
67 Posts
All of this information from the OEM is irrelevant for the majority of us. Most of us get an ecu flash, which means its up to the flash "person" to relate to you what is being done, or what you request. A flashed ecu is the best mod you can do to this bike. Well maybe better suspension, but its definitely up there.

Of course I am speaking from a 2015 model. so the newer fz's may be better than the oem of yesteryear...
I wasn't trying to be condescending at all sorry if it came off that way. I still have not flashed the ECU and not really sure if I ever will. I would hate to have trouble after doing so and then not being able to utilize me warranty. It hasn't been problem yet.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Na man, i didnt take it that way. Its all good. Just trying to help. In my opinion, the ecu flashed is great. That's all i meant.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts