Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Any questions specifically? I hate bikes with stuff tacked on everywhere, so one of my main goals is to make this look as close to possible to factory as I can. The temperature sensor is hidden in the little hole on the swingarm. I've got a 3 axis gyro, 3 axis accelerometer, and 3 axis magnetometer (compass) that I'm using for movement tracking currently, but I'll probably be putting more in the steering head (correct term?) and on the swingarm so that I can more accurately measure exactly what's happening with the bike.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You will have live temp for both tires? Infra red? Neat.
I'll figure out the front later... Between the steering and suspension there's a lot of movement up there and I don't want any issues. I figure getting the rear tire temp will give you an approximate picture of where both tires are at. It is IR currently, I've got a few different types of sensors I'm testing... As well as ways of keeping them maintainable. Germanium lenses are pricy, but they are cheaper than replacing temp sensors every time they get dirty!

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Cool, are you just doing that for yourself or are you hoping to sell it too? More data than I need for the street (shoot, even on the track I'm not a good enough of a rider to need all of that), but tire temp, maybe...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Cool, are you just doing that for yourself or are you hoping to sell it too?
Either/or. I was originally building it for myself and was told by a friend that I should try to sell it. That's something that I'd now like to do provided I can make it good enough to sell (meaning, I don't want it to be a hack-job). Regardless of what happens I'll open-source the code and give some instructions to build it.

More data than I need for the street (shoot, even on the track I'm not a good enough of a rider to need all of that), but tire temp, maybe...
I started with tire temp because there's a HUGE difference in grip of the tire on this bike (so much power <3) whether it's warm or cold. Then I realized, I'm putting a cpu and display on the bike, why not just add the extra stuff? I don't really need any of it either, but I'm a nerd so more data is always fun. Priority 1 after getting the temp squared away is detecting wheelie stats. How long, how high, how far, how fast. That should be easy enough with just one or two IMUs... And lots of fun :D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts