Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2020 MT-09
385 Posts
which one? I've been riding for 10+ years and I've ever only taken the MSF basic course. I've got a couple books I've read, but I figured it was time to step up and do an actual school and see what it was like, I'm hoping I won't be disappointed.
Even the advanced riding class is good. Any training is always worth it if you learned something!

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Also an indication that maybe you need to change your body position on the bike. I can change the width of my chicken strips by a good margin by doing nothing more than staying up right, or by getting my butt off the seat and leaning my body down and forward into the corner, thereby reducing the lean angle of the bike.
I would suggest a better set of riding boots, something with replaceable toe sliders. Hate to see your boot snag the concrete and pretzel your foot and ankle around your rear set.
2 years ago i was hit in a parking lot and I broke my knee pretty badly. Since then I can't, bend my knee to ride on the balls of my feet for any length of time as it's too painful. What I normally do is slide my foot from my arch to the balls of my feet whenever I go into a turn that will require a lot of lean. Once in a while I don't slide it quickly enough and sand down the front of my boots.

* Of note, having been hit by someone that didn't see me I now ride a bike with orange wheels, a high viz jacket, light colored helmet and a super bright strobe tail light.

·
Registered
4,840 Posts
Personally, about 90 degrees on a flat surface after a couple of bottles of wine.
The bike's supposed to go to 52 degrees.
The two of us together? I'd guess about 40 degrees

·
Registered
36 Posts
It is - I like a lot of what Ienatsch has to say in his articles. He also runs the Yamaha Champions Riding School, I'm already enrolled to take the 'Total Control ARC' this year but I think next year I may try to do a day at one of his classes.
I'm a Total Control BRC instructor and I have yet to take the ARC. Hopefully I'll have time this year, then next year do the ARC2 and Track Clinic.

·
Registered
34 Posts
My very first spirited ride on the FZ-09 I dragged the feelers and it scared the shit out of me. I feel like they're way too low from the factory. Took them off immediately.
I never drug mine because I was at a track day and the instructor was like "take those off, you're about to drag on them."

·
Super Moderator
5,662 Posts
The good news is, they wear down pretty quickly! o_O

·
Registered
268 Posts
I used to ride fairly “duck” foot with the step of the heel of the boot catching the peg, used my feet as “curb” feelers, learned better body position, and ride with the balls of the feet up on the pegs... but after my last track day and looking at photos, I had my feet very far to the outside of the peg and still had my toes dragging a lot, since then I’ve been really focused on changing that foot position again. I’ve been riding 20years but still learning!!

·
Registered
2020 MT-09
385 Posts
I used to ride fairly “duck” foot with the step of the heel of the boot catching the peg, used my feet as “curb” feelers, learned better body position, and ride with the balls of the feet up on the pegs... but after my last track day and looking at photos, I had my feet very far to the outside of the peg and still had my toes dragging a lot, since then I’ve been really focused on changing that foot position again. I’ve been riding 20years but still learning!!
I think foot position is the hardest thing to correct unless you have video to review or someone in your ear. It's easy to move your feet and not realize their position in regard to the bike and pegs! A wise man is one who never stops learning!

·
Registered
268 Posts
I think foot position is the hardest thing to correct unless you have video to review or someone in your ear. It's easy to move your feet and not realize their position in regard to the bike and pegs! A wise man is one who never stops learning!
very true, I felt And looked like I had good body position on the bike, hanging off well, but the inside leg caused my ankle to roll on the pegs a bit too, this photo really gave me a lot of insight, look at both my feet position! I had quite the show coming off the titanium toe sliders!

As for the original posters comment about ankle soreness due to injury, I have 8 screws and a plate in the right ankle, and 4 screws and a plate in my left hip, I’m a very avid cyclist, I think it’s been a huge key to my continued mobility, and I recommend pushing your limits as much as you can to see if you can increase your mobility and reduce your pain!

·
Registered
4,840 Posts
I never drug mine because I was at a track day and the instructor was like "take those off, you're about to drag on them."
Dragged. Drug is a different buzz altogether.

Reactions: chadwick
21 - 34 of 34 Posts