Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was out riding after work and got leaned way over on a ramp getting on to the highway. Sanded the end of the sole on my boots down pretty good.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Dragging hard parts can also be a sign of improperly setup or inadequate suspension. Not saying it applies, but even with proper spring rates and damping, over time components wear and fork/shock oil degrades. And you big feet guys will always have a problem...LOL

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

·
Registered
216 Posts
I took the feelers off the rearsets because I was dragging them. Now I drag the rearsets. Aftermarket rearsets are on the way, ordered yesterday
My very first spirited ride on the FZ-09 I dragged the feelers and it scared the shit out of me. I feel like they're way too low from the factory. Took them off immediately.

·
Registered
2016 xsr 900
515 Posts
I leaned over so well once I wore most of the side of my helmet off. Does that count? I can't brag on shoes as being big footed I've worn off the toes of my boots with no where near the lean I thought would allow for my feet to touch the ground.
Yup - my feet are too big too - my toes drag way before anything else touches.....Size 13W here....

·
Registered
2016 xsr 900
515 Posts
Also made me think of this article I recently read - the guy who was complaining about dragging parts was also the slowest guy at the track....https://www.cycleworld.com/story/blogs/ienatsch-tuesday/freddie-spencers-discipline-made-him-a-champion/

:unsure:

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
Also an indication that maybe you need to change your body position on the bike. I can change the width of my chicken strips by a good margin by doing nothing more than staying up right, or by getting my butt off the seat and leaning my body down and forward into the corner, thereby reducing the lean angle of the bike.
I would suggest a better set of riding boots, something with replaceable toe sliders. Hate to see your boot snag the concrete and pretzel your foot and ankle around your rear set.

·
Registered
2016 xsr 900
515 Posts
It is - I like a lot of what Ienatsch has to say in his articles. He also runs the Yamaha Champions Riding School, I'm already enrolled to take the 'Total Control ARC' this year but I think next year I may try to do a day at one of his classes.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I leaned over so well once I wore most of the side of my helmet off. Does that count? I can't brag on shoes as being big footed I've worn off the toes of my boots with no where near the lean I thought would allow for my feet to touch the ground.
I leaned over so far once I dropped my bike. #winning

·
Registered
214 Posts
I've only had my fz on one really twisty ride when I was dragging peg. As I'm getting use to the riding position I need to work on body position as well because the fz is way different than a sport bike. The aftermarket rearsets should help as well. I did notice that my chicken strips are non existent so I definitely need to get my butt off the seat

·
Registered
2016 XSR900 60th Anniv. Edition
1,662 Posts
It is - I like a lot of what Ienatsch has to say in his articles. He also runs the Yamaha Champions Riding School, I'm already enrolled to take the 'Total Control ARC' this year but I think next year I may try to do a day at one of his classes.

Well worth it!

·
Registered
2016 xsr 900
515 Posts
Well worth it!
which one? I've been riding for 10+ years and I've ever only taken the MSF basic course. I've got a couple books I've read, but I figured it was time to step up and do an actual school and see what it was like, I'm hoping I won't be disappointed.

·
Registered
521 Posts
If you live in or around the Pacific Northwest, Mike Sullivan's Roadracing School is awesome. I'm no racer, but doing a few weekends with his group a few years ago transformed my riding...

·
Registered
223 Posts
If you live in or around the Pacific Northwest, Mike Sullivan's Roadracing School is awesome. I'm no racer, but doing a few weekends with his group a few years ago transformed my riding...
About 8 years ago, my brother and I were at the annual Rally in the Gorge and Mike Sullivan was one of the speakers (along with Nick Ienatsch!!) After Mikes seminar he asked if anyone wanted to continue with a ride. He took 10 of us to Rowena Crest in Oregon and had half of us ride and the other half watch from the viewpoint as he gave pointers. After riding back and forth on those curves he had the group switch, - what an experience and what a nice guy!

·
Registered
521 Posts
About 8 years ago, my brother and I were at the annual Rally in the Gorge and Mike Sullivan was one of the speakers (along with Nick Ienatsch!!) After Mikes seminar he asked if anyone wanted to continue with a ride. He took 10 of us to Rowena Crest in Oregon and had half of us ride and the other half watch from the viewpoint as he gave pointers. After riding back and forth on those curves he had the group switch, - what an experience and what a nice guy!
I wish Tom would bring him back! I may be going to the gorge rally this summer... it's one of the only things that hasn't been cancelled yet...

Reactions: betoney

·
Registered
2016 XSR900 60th Anniv. Edition
1,662 Posts
...which one? I've been riding for 10+ years and I've ever only taken the MSF basic course. I've got a couple books I've read, but I figured it was time to step up and do an actual school and see what it was like, I'm hoping I won't be disappointed.
Champ School. Nick and his crew are awesome. They throw a lot at you in a short time, but you can't leave there without having learned something - no matter what your experience level!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts