Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you have read your MOM you know there is a section that gives recommended shift points for your motorcycle. For those of you who completely decided to ignore this section, here is a reminder.
Text Font Line Organism Handwriting

I commute to work on the FZ09 every day and one morning I thought, what would happen if I followed those ludicrously low and mild shift points.

I rode the same route both directions strickly adhering to the instructions in my MOM. Also I carefully massaged the throttle to steadily hang my speedometer exactly on the posted speed limit for all roads. I averaged a 0-60 time of about 14 seconds. My route was about 1/3 city and 2/3 freeway travel (In Rhode Island/no CA Model). I also did my best to time traffic lights and to leave the clutch engaged in gear as long as possible to avoid any excessive idling during my travels. After a total of four warm up periods from cold start (about 3 minutes each), I had traveled 151.8 mi before the reserve f-trip counter came on. I continued to travel another 10.7 mi until I arrived at the pump of a local Shell station. I later compared my trip on Google Maps and found that I may have traveled 0.4 miles less than what my odometer said, but that could also be due to shifts in lane position so I don't think it is an error. I dumped in 3.147 gal of premium unleaded which filled the tank all the way to the top being very careful to make sure I had an accurate reading. In all I averaged 51.636 mpg for the fuel trip, and had managed to leave a full half gallon of gas in the tank. meaning I could have traveled another 28.6 miles before sputtering to a halt. That would have put the maximum range at 191 miles.

Riding at this pace was a real challenge, and I doubt I could ever have the self control to do it ever again. I didn't have any difficulties with the short shifts with the exception of the occasional shift from 1st to 2nd, where I may have disengaged the clutch too long and let the speed drop a few mph.

I figured that at $4.09 per gallon. This saved me a wapping $0.89. with my average mpg according to the controls on the FZ09 is 48.3 with regular riding. Yes I ride like an old lady, but I promised myself no speeding 5 years ago, and I have been very good ever since. But now we know what is possible. My bike is stock, with the exception of cosmetic items, hand guards and heated grips.

I don't plan on riding this way ever again as it was too slow even for me, I obey the speed limit, but how I get there is another story!!!!!:cool:

·
Super Moderator
5,763 Posts
All I can say is.......better you than me! I don't have the patience or determination to even try something like that.

"If it ain't fast......it ain't fun"! :cool:

Reactions: deadduck357

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Very cool. Sometimes I like to play around with these likes this. 51.636 mpg, that's pretty darn good!

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
I average bout 46mpg.

Seen as high as 51 and low of 40.

Only took it to the E flash one time. Came on @ 148 miles.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I fill up everytime i take off. Easy for me local station maybe mile from house.

Never have to put more than 2 gals in at a time, but i have never made any long trips yet.

I bet i never see the warning flash i believe in having too much not to little.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Do you have ethanol in your gas? Alcohol has less energy density than gasoline, so if you're using "real" gas, you'll get better milage. that's my story and i'm sticking to it!

Text Font Number Logo Label
Text Line Plot Font Diagram

·
Registered
768 Posts
One of the major magazines (Motorcyclist or Cycle World) did an in depth article on proper new engine break in and I remember one part stood out. It said to turn to the page in the owner's manual with the recommended shift points, tear it out and throw it away.
That was if you want to expect any life out of the bottom end engine parts. *Most* engines are lugging at those rpms.
:bee: Rev it a little more! =)

Reactions: Poogamer69
1 - 14 of 14 Posts