Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
It depends on WHY it was leaking, loose hose clamp or damaged hose? If the hose is cracked, cut or ruptured then replace it. Did the leaking stop when you tightened the hose clamp?
I’ll keep an eye out, the dribble were just initial eyes on, I also noticed there was dribbles of fluid near the coolant drain bolt though not as much.
I think the right rad hose clamp just got loose from the fluid freezing/expanding and therefore fluid oozed out.

I am gonna be back tomorrow so I will inspect. Either way, swinging by cycle gear in the AM and picking up Engine Ice.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #22

more cause for concern, this is the oil sight gauge. This is a “cold” bike(room temp) and I know the last oil change I did wasn’t anywhere near this high. MF-Er gulp. Def taking to the dealership to have them Go through with a fine tooth comb

·
Registered
2016 XSR900 60th Anniv. Edition
2,088 Posts
View attachment 162557
more cause for concern, this is the oil sight gauge. This is a “cold” bike(room temp) and I know the last oil change I did wasn’t anywhere near this high. MF-Er gulp. Def taking to the dealership to have them Go through with a fine tooth comb
Is the bike standing straight up on a level surface in that picture? Or is it on the kickstand or paddock stand?

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Is the bike standing straight up on a level surface in that picture? Or is it on the kickstand or paddock stand?
Straight up and down I also checked all the hose clamps and all the screws were fairly loose I put the bike off of the Pitbull Stand and on it’s kickstand and I see oil now pics to follow

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #25

Above is it Resting on kickstand

above is me pulling the bike (handlebar) to see the fluid

·
Registered
2016 XSR900 60th Anniv. Edition
2,088 Posts
And you wonder why people have a low opinion of renters. Ever hear of a tarp?

Normally, I’d say welcome to the forum...

But this is how you’re going to introduce yourself? Really?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Yes really. I can't believe no one else commented on this. I find your site very interesting and informative. If I've offended you that wasn't my intention. I would hope others will see this and save themselves some dollars in the future. Thank you for your response.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
How long have you been with the forum and how much do you know about the bike? What gen do you have?

·
Registered
5 Posts
The tarp reference was to protect the floor when he wheels his bike in, so his landlord doesn't charge him for carpet replacement. And I don't wear knickers, I wear tight pink panties.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
The pics aren’t even of my carpet?

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Yes

·
Registered
86 Posts
The tarp reference was to protect the floor when he wheels his bike in, so his landlord doesn't charge him for carpet replacement. And I don't wear knickers, I wear tight pink panties.
That photo is of radiator fluid on concrete... He said "realized a light pinkish powder where it was out doors"

·
Registered
5,152 Posts
You can't use anti freeze when racing, I think it may even be the same for trackdays in some places.

But over winter, people would generally drain it.
That is the point. Use straight water for the track and change it when done. You can save the coolant mix and put it back in. There's no need to use anything other pure than water just for track days.

·
Registered
640 Posts
First, living in an apt complex sucks. I wheeled the bike indoors in my...”open concept garage”(living room) then realized a light pinkish powder where it was out doors:

View attachment 162509
and of course the coolant had been leaking out of it. I looked at the overflow reservoir and it was below the Low line but not by much. For reference it’s been out there since Mid-Nov and temps are only to go down and stay down below freezing.

my question is:
1) with the advent of Water wetter? If I continue to leave it outside for the rest of the cold how much damage will I be doing

2) How much damage do you guys think I did to my bike? Maybe nothing maybe something?

3) what should I do in the future? Even if I get a garage it has potential to get below freezing
Why use anything other than the correct anti-freeze concentration for your climate?
It's not as though the 09 runs hot. If anything it runs too cold.
Mine never sees more than 75℃ in normal use.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Why use anything other than the correct anti-freeze concentration for your climate?
It's not as though the 09 runs hot. If anything it runs too cold.
Mine never sees more than 75℃ in normal use.
I don’t know how it is where you’re from but some track day organizations and circuits don’t allow anti-freeze

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
To come full circle on what all occured. After talking with the dealer, they did not identify any issues with the motor. They too did notice that the steel clamp screws were a little loose but thats about it. $104 OTD for a coolant change and peace of mind. I know what I will be doing fall and springs now.

Reactions: Moto26 and Weeksy
21 - 40 of 41 Posts