Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First, living in an apt complex sucks. I wheeled the bike indoors in my...”open concept garage”(living room) then realized a light pinkish powder where it was out doors:

and of course the coolant had been leaking out of it. I looked at the overflow reservoir and it was below the Low line but not by much. For reference it’s been out there since Mid-Nov and temps are only to go down and stay down below freezing.

my question is:
1) with the advent of Water wetter? If I continue to leave it outside for the rest of the cold how much damage will I be doing

2) How much damage do you guys think I did to my bike? Maybe nothing maybe something?

3) what should I do in the future? Even if I get a garage it has potential to get below freezing

·
Registered
2016 XSR900 60th Anniv. Edition
2,113 Posts
I don't know if you've done any damage at this point, but I would say if you're going to leave the bike anywhere where it will freeze, either run regular anti-freeze or drain the cooling system. We used to drain it from the race bikes if there was any chance of an overnight freeze when they were in the trailer. I don't believe Water Wetter has any anti-freeze properties to speak of.

Hopefully, nothing is damaged. I think the only way to be sure would be to start the bike and let it run long enough to get hot and see if anything leaks...

·
Registered
2019 Yamaha MT 10
422 Posts
I've never even given this any thought. Are you saying that the liquid in the cooling system is not antifreeze?

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Correct. Long story short it is water wetter. Anti-freeze has glycol which has a VERY low freezing point but is extremely viscous and slimy.

The amount of slipperiness is why it’s not allowed for racing and water wetter is the go-to.

·
Registered
759 Posts
If it froze, the damage may already be done. If you let it out there, anytime it goes above freezing it could thaw and refreeze, if it somehow survived the first freeze it likely won't the next. Water jackets in cast parts don't like the expansion that comes with frozen water.

Put a pan under it to catch any water dropping and check your oil for water before starting. If you're lucky, the powder on the ground is from a leaking hose or maybe a bad water pump gasket.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yea all that powder on the ground was from the hose leaking. I will check my oil and coolant. God I need a garage pronto!

·
Registered
563 Posts
Yea all that powder on the ground was from the hose leaking. I will check my oil and coolant. God I need a garage pronto!
A number of dealers near me offer reasonably priced storage. Just a suggestion to check out. They will often include an oil change in the price and hook your bike up to a battery tender.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If it froze, the damage may already be done. If you let it out there, anytime it goes above freezing it could thaw and refreeze, if it somehow survived the first freeze it likely won't the next. Water jackets in cast parts don't like the expansion that comes with frozen water.

Put a pan under it to catch any water dropping and check your oil for water before starting. If you're lucky, the powder on the ground is from a leaking hose or maybe a bad water pump gasket.
A number of dealers near me offer reasonably priced storage. Just a suggestion to check out. They will often include an oil change in the price and hook your bike up to a battery tender.
I will keep that in mind but I like the idea of accessibility in case I want to take it out on a random 65 degree day or make love to her

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It's not accessible if it's cracked the engine.

I get your point, but seems a bit daft. If it's not a race bike, why isn't it running coolant?
I had water wetter before and kept her super cool through Trackdays and general faffing. Quite cooler than engine ice especially in stop and go traffic

·
Registered
563 Posts
Correct. Long story short it is water wetter. Anti-freeze has glycol which has a VERY low freezing point but is extremely viscous and slimy.

The amount of slipperiness is why it’s not allowed for racing and water wetter is the go-to.
You have to give the bike what it needs to live on. Drain the coolant, fix the leak, put 50/50 mix of viscous and slimy Anti-freeze in it. Be sure to fill the overflow where it should be. Take it for a ride or run it till it gets hot. Check for leaks. If no leaks or running problems you are saved and bike is good. Leave it that way till you have a track day.

Pretty simple logic.

·
Registered
5,170 Posts
Yamaha say to use anti freeze. What do they know?

Reactions: GreatHolio

·
Registered
2016 XSR900 60th Anniv. Edition
2,113 Posts
You can't use anti freeze when racing, I think it may even be the same for trackdays in some places.

But over winter, people would generally drain it.
Exactly. It's a pain, but when you're tracking your street bike, it's one of those things you just have to deal with if the track doesn't allow antifreeze. But you definitely want antifreeze in the bike when it lives in cold conditions, so you just have to do the coolant drain hustle every time...

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Exactly. It's a pain, but when you're tracking your street bike, it's one of those things you just have to deal with if the track doesn't allow antifreeze. But you definitely want antifreeze in the bike when it lives in cold conditions, so you just have to do the coolant drain hustle every time...
Lesson learned. I will be buying Engine Ice ASAP and drain the water wetter. As far as damage, I think(hope) the only damage is to the hose clamps that loosened with the expansion 🤞🤞🤞

Reactions: Moto26

·
Vendor
1,382 Posts
I had water wetter before and kept her super cool through Trackdays and general faffing. Quite cooler than engine ice especially in stop and go traffic
the temperature on your temperature gauge is not what engine ice keeps cooler and is not a indicator its working or not ,

it actually makes for more surface area transferring heat away from the combustion chamber due to its crazy high boiling point. This would make the temperature of the coolant hotter.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
the temperature on your temperature gauge is not what engine ice keeps cooler and is not a indicator its working or not ,

it actually makes for more surface area transferring heat away from the combustion chamber due to its crazy high boiling point. This would make the temperature of the coolant hotter.
Thanks for the edification. I may have the dealer do it to give it a proper once over as well

Reactions: vcyclenut

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

I know I had a leaking hose from where the right side of the Rad connects the hose because I saw a notable dribble of pink(water wetter) fluid.
Do you guys think I will need a new hose?

·
Registered
376 Posts
I know I had a leaking hose from where the right side of the Rad connects the hose because I saw a notable dribble of pink(water wetter) fluid.
Do you guys think I will need a new hose?
It depends on WHY it was leaking, loose hose clamp or damaged hose? If the hose is cracked, cut or ruptured then replace it. Did the leaking stop when you tightened the hose clamp?

1 - 20 of 41 Posts