Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it just taped on, or is there also hardware? Is there another option that matches the bike well? Thank you.

·
Registered
833 Posts
silicone adhesive. That is what I used for a fend extenda on my last bike anyways.

·
Registered
11 Posts
If you want belt n braces if the guard is black I use 2 of those black
plastic screws and nuts they use on number plates.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I went with the thick double-stick foam tape (gray stuff for outdoors), and also used black silicone for good measure. Clean the underside thoroughly of course before applying. Works great, and you can angle the extender a bit more out at the bottom so it doesn't hug the tire so closely. I used multiple layers of tape on the top of the extender and filled the gap with silicone.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
I just got my front and rear fenders. The rear comes with some glue (presumably some form of ABS glue) but the front uses tape and plastic push nuts. I don't want to drill my fender. Has anybody tried using the glue that came with the rear fender? The front OEM fender isn't the same plastic as the rear, but I think I'll give it a try. If it isn't strong then I guess I'll try another option.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I just got my front and rear fenders. The rear comes with some glue (presumably some form of ABS glue) but the front uses tape and plastic push nuts. I don't want to drill my fender. Has anybody tried using the glue that came with the rear fender? The front OEM fender isn't the same plastic as the rear, but I think I'll give it a try. If it isn't strong then I guess I'll try another option.
I have both. The glue for the rear works great. It's solid. Follow the instructions and glue like the picture shows... There needs to be air between the lines of glue so it will cure.

As for the front. It's a solid mount if you follow instructions. I drilled with no worries and all is well. Couldn't find a 4mm bit so went with 5/32 or some such and it worked flawlessly.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
My rear fender is drying right now (glued it last night). I don't really want to drill my fender mainly because it's red and the black nubs will be so visible, second if I don't like the extender for any reason then I'm stuck with holes in my fender. I guess that's silly. I'll like it. haha... I'm going to try the glue first though and see if it takes on the front fender.

·
Registered
97 Posts
You can just adhesive like Gorilla Glue, Loctite makes glues, some Goop adhesive, black RTV sealant, etc. Use a nice single bead and clamp it in position with binder clips or some kind of c-clamp. Once that's set up, I run a bead inside the fender where the 2 sections meet, to caulk that gap.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Last night I used the glue that came with the rear fender and glued the front fender. This morning it was solid! Should be good. I sanded through the paint on the inside of the fender to get a good clear area of raw ABS for the glue to bond. This morning I put a bead of Goop around the underside edge for good measure.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Last night I used the glue that came with the rear fender and glued the front fender. This morning it was solid! Should be good. I sanded through the paint on the inside of the fender to get a good clear area of raw ABS for the glue to bond. This morning I put a bead of Goop around the underside edge for good measure.
Awww, man, do I have to take the fender off for this install?.......:p

·
Registered
209 Posts
So you were worried about black POP rivets on your red fender? LOL. In case you haven't noticed that's a black extenda on your red fenda.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Yes, I'm aware of the colour of the extension. LOL... I just think 4 black nubs on the red fender wouldn't look nice. The black extension looks good. Actually one future mod I've thought about is painting the front fender black like it is on other models.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I was thinking about getting one of the rears to prevent from getting water/rocks/mud on the seat/my back when finally find a Fender Eliminator kit that I like (may have to wait awhile). Can any one that has a rear extender confirm that it actually works? it looks a bit short to stop anything from flying up...

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
It does not prevent water/rocks/mud from flinging onto the seat.

It does help keep the underside of the tail section cleaner though.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts