Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Been a while since I've had a stock ZRX (December 98), but here are some numbers to ponder...

ZRX11's had ~96 horsepower and 72 pounds of torque at the rear wheel as delivered. They also weighed ~ 530 pounds fueled up and ready to go. FZ09 is physically smaller, has 10 more horsepower, 10 less pounds of torque...and weighs 130 pounds less. That last part makes all the difference in the world. An FZ09 will just pull harder in any gear and at any speed. A stock FZ09 would even out accelerate a ZRX11 with pipe and jet kit (which would put it at ~ 122 horsepower and 79 pounds of torque)....just due to weighing so damned much less.

·
Registered
583 Posts
I rode one of the ZRX1100's... long time ago. The things I remember the most that are different on the FZ is the "BUZZ" in the handlebars at 4,000-4,500 RPM, cruising at 70 mph. It was so bad, I'd downshift to get the RPM up over 6,000 RPM. The FZ has none of that. Then the width and weight... FZ has none of that. For me, both had plenty of power, torque, enough to shed the rear tire if that's what u want to do. The exhaust on the FZ is much better since it stays low and forward, away from the luggage/passenger. The ZRX is not even close, except in raw power.

·
Registered
619 Posts
I had a Y2K ZRX 1100. the seat on the zrx was worse for me than the FZ's. The FZ is way more prone to wheelies, shorter wheelbase and more power, i guess. my zrx had a Muzzy SS full exhaust and Ivan's jet kit. It ran great, but didn't seem to have as much low down as the FZ.

Suspension wise, the ZRX had dual piggy back shocks, which seemed slightly better damped. (big surprise there) but it's been a long time since i rode the ZRX, and I really loved that bike, so maybe i'm just being kind.

All in all, if you offered me either bike today, i'd take the FZ. I do get nostalgic looking at the ZRX though.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Love those bikes...

·
Registered
158 Posts
Repairman,

I had an '03 ZRX1200 for 23,000 miles. The best thing about the bike was the classic look and the seat. Soooo comfy and soft. The FZ is so much better of a bike. People complain of the suspension on the FZ, the ZRX was much more of a handful in rough corners. I feel there was not enough rebound damping on both ends of the ZRX. It was heavy and wore front tires surprisingly quick. Also, oil changes were horrible because of the internal filter. Total PITA. I enjoyed the bike and my wife thinks it is more comfortable on the back than the FZ but, it's like comparing an old Corvette to the new one. Technology is awesome!

Good memories though!
-Shannon

·
Registered
883 Posts
No experience aboard a ZRX, but yesterday I was riding with a group. One of the riders, a decent guy with a great sense of humor, was on a ZRX.

My observation is more a coincidence of timing (the rear carrier and black bag are visible on my FZ-09 at the top of the picture, taken near Charles Town, WV) than a personal comparison of motorcycles; sorry for thread drifting. But the ZRX was a sweet motorcycle and caught the eye very easily. However, I'll stay with my FZ-09!

·
Registered
276 Posts
I had a Y2K ZRX 1100. the seat on the zrx was worse for me than the FZ's. The FZ is way more prone to wheelies, shorter wheelbase and more power, i guess. my zrx had a Muzzy SS full exhaust and Ivan's jet kit. It ran great, but didn't seem to have as much low down as the FZ.

Suspension wise, the ZRX had dual piggy back shocks, which seemed slightly better damped. (big surprise there) but it's been a long time since i rode the ZRX, and I really loved that bike, so maybe i'm just being kind.

All in all, if you offered me either bike today, i'd take the FZ. I do get nostalgic looking at the ZRX though.

Love the days of Eddie Lawrson!!

·
Registered
221 Posts
No experience aboard a ZRX, but yesterday I was riding with a group. One of the riders, a decent guy with a great sense of humor, was on a ZRX.

My observation is more a coincidence of timing (the rear carrier and black bag are visible on my FZ-09 at the top of the picture, taken near Charles Town, WV) than a personal comparison of motorcycles; sorry for thread drifting. But the ZRX was a sweet motorcycle and caught the eye very easily. However, I'll stay with my FZ-09!
Hey redeye! It was a fun ride. Ive ridden the black ZRX1100 behind it, around the block. It seems SO much heavier than the FZ-09. I prefer mine so much more. But they are quick

Reactions: redeye

·
Registered
883 Posts
Hey redeye! It was a fun ride. Ive ridden the black ZRX1100 behind it, around the block. It seems SO much heavier than the FZ-09. I prefer mine so much more. But they are quick
Hi, FF. Completely missed the second ZRX. Looking at each of the motorcycles in Charles Town, I didn't recognize them by profile, but happened to notice the name on the side of the one closest to me. When I saw this thread later on, the ZRX name had become more familiar.

·
Registered
102 Posts
The bike I sold when I bought my FZ was a ZRX1100 that I put 40K + miles on over a period of 5 years. I loved the ZREX but the FZ out performs it in every way except top speed (until you re-flash). More power everywhere and handles like a supermoto by comparison.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts