Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New guy here and I've been tempted to get the new FZ-09 because of the looks and riding style. I currently ride an 07 GSX-R 750. Even though it's a great bike, it can be a little uncomfortable on longer rides. I know the brakes and suspension cannot compare to the GSX-R but I am curious how the performance is compared. I want a more comfortable ride but I don't want to sacrifice the speed and power that I am used to. Any input would be great.

Thanks!

·
Registered
136 Posts
Silverado, get the December issue of Cycle World, where there is a comparison between the FZ09, Triumph 675 and Brutale 800.
You say you don't want to sacrifice speed and power: The 09 is computer limited to 132 MPH. 0-60 time is 2.7 seconds, (as quoted by Cycle World) which is almost 3/4 of a second quicker than your GSX, 1/2 second quicker than the BMW S1000RR, a tenth quicker than a Hyabusa, etc. The quarter mile time is 10.6, about the same as your Gixxer. The comfort, riding position and posture is top notch, and the seat, though not padded well, is "livable" and very comfortable after you get a few hundred miles seat time.
Trust me, it'll run away and hide versus my modified 1200 Bandit. The biggest shortcoming, as I see it, is if you're going to ride two up, it ain't too good!
Read this forum to get more info. She's a BLAST!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks kickin! I just read it and I am extremely tempted to pick one up. I'd want the orange color though. I just wish there were more aftermarket parts out there already. I might see if i can schedule a test ride soon.

·
Super Moderator
5,701 Posts
There is currently a solution being worked on for disabling the 132 MPH limiter and also eliminating the "fuel cutoff"when the throttle is completely closed, which will certainly eliminate the off/on throttle "snatch"that some of the folks are complaining about. I've personally never ridden a GSX-R 750, but I've had 4 different liter bikes and presently have a track only 600RR and I have to say, the FZ09 is one of, if not the most fun of any bike I've owned. It wouldn't necessarily be my choice for a track only bike, but for total fun on the street and maybe an occasional track day, it would be hard to beat.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
777, I've owned gixxer 750's in the past. First the 09 doesn't have the aerodynamics of any of the gixxers so beyond 100mph hang on. Handling wise your gonna love the 09, it is as flickable as a gixxer if not more so. Riding position is just like a dirt bike so much more enjoyable for lengthy rides or just playing around on. Where a gix 750 is dead/mellow until 6.5-7k rpm and then abruptly wakes up and goes ballistic the 09 is pulling hard at 3k. I believe it feels more like the pulling power of a gixxer 1000 and maybe even a bit stronger at lower rpm's.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
the 09 will have a lot more punch down low and through the midrange, but won't have quite the gsxr750's top-end rush, as the 09 is down about 15-20 peak hp.

gsxr's are pretty comfortable as sportbikes go, the last one i had i could ride all day with no problems. sportbikes are well suited for highway riding if you're into that, they've got you leaned forward and down so the wind blast won't be as bad as on an upright naked.

they're very different bikes. you really will need to test ride an 09 to see if it suits you.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I read that the 09 has more power than the R1 up to 8000 rpm, so it's probably stronger than the GSXR750 up to 9-10k. The 09 has huge amounts of power in the real world street rpm range and at realistic street speeds. For people who need a bike with really high straight line top speed, this bike won't be competetive.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I would assume, Corey, that most would buy it for it's intended purpose, and that sure isn't top speed! If mine shut off at 100 MPH, that'd be alright with me, as long as it goes like a bat out of hell UP to 100!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Well I have GSXR750 GSXR1000 and an FZ09. They are so different you cant even compare them.
Both GSXR's are faster and more stable at speed.....period. Obviously the 1000 is the brute.
FZ09 feels lighter, more comfortable, more torque down low and a super smooth power band. FZ09 is like a muscle super moto. Best way i can describe it.
As for magazine times.....I don't pay too much attention but will tell you the GSXR 750 will launch much better on the street than the fz09 simply due to gearing and the wheelie prone fz09.
Suspension on the FZ09 hurts it in the braking department but i have no doubt they have plenty of power.
Its comfortable fun an a real hooligan bike.
If you want any specifics feel free to ask.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Hopefully there will be a Flash-tune interface for the 09 from flash-tune.com.

If you think the GXS-R is uncomfortable, what until you ride a R1.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I have ridden the 2013 R1 and I have never hated riding a bike until I rode that, most uncomfortable bike with a light switch throttle in A mode. that coupled with absolutely no usable power below 60 mph makes it(in my mind) the worst road bike possible. I mean you have to be doing 70 mph in first gear to get the R1 into the power band! a road bike should have usable torque right off idle to be fun on the road, and it looks like the fz-09 has that low end torque. even the fz8 is geared way too tall in first gear, it will pull well past 60mph in first! who needs that when in a city speed limit of 30? the fz-09 should be awesome for just about anything(except touring, 3.7gallon tank), and I plan to buy one in the spring and I haven't even ridden one yet. ride one and then decide, but im sure it will be a hoot. now if you want maximum power, the new vmax 1700 has it everywhere, but its priced itself out of my budget.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I would assume, Corey, that most would buy it for it's intended purpose, and that sure isn't top speed! If mine shut off at 100 MPH, that'd be alright with me, as long as it goes like a bat out of hell UP to 100!
100% agree, and the 90-100 mph is only rarely needed for passing a line of trucks.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I have ridden the 2013 R1 and I have never hated riding a bike until I rode that, most uncomfortable bike with a light switch throttle in A mode. that coupled with absolutely no usable power below 60 mph makes it(in my mind) the worst road bike possible. I mean you have to be doing 70 mph in first gear to get the R1 into the power band! a road bike should have usable torque right off idle to be fun on the road, and it looks like the fz-09 has that low end torque. even the fz8 is geared way too tall in first gear, it will pull well past 60mph in first! who needs that when in a city speed limit of 30? the fz-09 should be awesome for just about anything(except touring, 3.7gallon tank), and I plan to buy one in the spring and I haven't even ridden one yet. ride one and then decide, but im sure it will be a hoot. now if you want maximum power, the new vmax 1700 has it everywhere, but its priced itself out of my budget.
You don't know how to ride the 2013 if you are complaint about the power. For the most part the power comes on pretty fast compared to non- crossplane inline 4. My 08 R1 power does n't really kick in until 7k rpm and the 2009 plus R1 get the power out around 3k rpm. I would consider that pretty damn good.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Two up is no good on the FZ9. My old GSXR750 had more room as did my 919...a bit disappointing but I wouldn't want to put a passenger on a supermoto either.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I bought a gixxer when I was 8 months pregnant and I loved that bike but now that I am older I prefer the FZ09.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
I had an 04 750 gsxr for a while.

It was my first bike bigger than 600 super sport. I got myself into several situations having lots of torque. But the torque comes on way sooner with the FZ-09. It just start pulling right away. Don't plan on beating anything through turns on it or pulling on 750's on the highway. But the 09 has way more real world useable power. Not many bike can accelerate like the fz-09 and have such a comfortable riding position.

·
Registered
23 Posts
i have a k5 750 and have to say its one of the funnest engines to be put into a sportbike,picked up my graphite gray fz 09 last week and excited to compare them,only 1 problem,live in canada and theres snow,guess i gotta wait:(

1 - 20 of 26 Posts