Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
is there just no way to do a low speed power wheelie on this thing?
on the sv650 it was easy, just lean all the way back, go to 6krpm,,,roll of a bit, then roll on. boom.

i rather not have to use the clutch.

i havent really tried too much but im having a hard time doing a wheelie on this thing. i tried just rollling straight to 7rpm but i guess im to inhibited.

·
Registered
235 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,763 Posts

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
i havent really tried too much but im having a hard time doing a wheelie on this thing. i tried just rollling straight to 7rpm but i guess im to inhibited.
That is the instinct for self preservation, a good thing to have, ignore it at your peril.

One of the situations I can't push myself harder on is late braking for a turn, even on a race track I know well, my EEEK! kicks in and leave myself plenty of room for error etc. I can still do a lap time that isn't last place in a club race. But it's a h*** of a lot slower than a fast racer could do on the same bike lol.

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
Gun it in second or third from about 5,000 to 6,000 rpm. A couple of power wheelies in this video starting at about 3:08.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
That is the instinct for self preservation, a good thing to have, ignore it at your peril.

One of the situations I can't push myself harder on is late braking for a turn, even on a race track I know well, my EEEK! kicks in and leave myself plenty of room for error etc. I can still do a lap time that isn't last place in a club race. But it's a h*** of a lot slower than a fast racer could do on the same bike lol.
haha i know what you mean, when i used to go to the canyons i would always break early so i could easily accelerate through the turn, but yeah just in general ive been conditioned to ease on the throttle even though i started on 250. dont get me wrong i can go WOT but i just dont have that snap on my wrist like some folks do i suppose.

Gun it in second or third from about 5,000 to 6,000 rpm. A couple of power wheelies in this video starting at about 3:08.

ok thats a great video, yeah i just wanted to "see" a feel for it. I just wanna pick up the front wheel a bit...knowing the rpm range should help me a lot as well. but yeah its pretty fast, looked like he was going about 55+?

·
Premium Member
341 Posts
Don't rush the wheelie thing. Focus on getting used to your bike, getting to know your limits, getting comfortable with your limits. If ya have a decent twisty road or section close to your home, those corners will be where you really get used to your limits on that bike. Then, before ya know it, when you are pushing those ever growing limits, you will really power out of a corner in 2nd or third and that front wheel will start poppin up and you will smile.

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
Those are just short power wheelies. I have done some second through third ones, but the throttle is still a bit snatchy for me to do the four gear wheelies like I do on my CBR.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
I agree that you should take your time, low speed power wheelies were the cause of my initial crash.

Having said that I got the Stoltec flash and suddenly found that low speed power wheelies were very easy.

Just make sure you are pointed in a safe direction and have at least a mile or two in front of you and roll at about 5-10mph and blip the throttle quickly in first. Your front end will come up, make sure you cover that back brake.

Reactions: jmcghee41

·
Registered
1,081 Posts

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Yeah, but 20 isn't high speed, and it gives a bit more stability. In first there isn't much throttle difference between the front wheel being 2 feet high and over the top. Though a flip in 2nd is easy too lol.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Personally I've found that in 1st and 2nd gear even with the snatchy throttle you can use the bikes power and weak front bouncy springs to your advantage to bring the bike up really smoothly. Meaning; at around 4k-5k rpms in either 1st or 2nd gear push down on the front then pull up on the handlebars and simultaneously give it just a little more throttle and you'll be airborne. This will get you up with less throttle, fewer rpms and a little more control.
Remember each bike is different there's a lot of factors like rider weight, where you ride on the saddle... etc.. either way be smooooth on the throttle and always cover the rear brake.

·
Registered
151 Posts
for sure get used to the bike and keep foot covering rear brake, The first ride I took on my bike "around the block" I pulled a small wheelie without trying, so it should not be hard!

·
Registered
418 Posts
Just snap the throttle! It's really easy on this or any bike with decent power.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts