Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I know how to apply chain lube... just spray it on, LOL... but how do you spin the rear wheel? Obviously, if you have a rear wheel cradle, the issue is resolved but "on the road", that solution disappears... One way might be to pivot the whole bike up on the kick stand and have a "friend" spin the wheel and apply the lube but are there other solutions? Help, this becomes a serious issue for folks over 70... thx, G.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Best option is to buy a rear stand. It's worth it just for the chain maintenance. You can get one and a set of spools for around 100 bucks.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy 5 S using Tapatalk

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
Best option is to buy a rear stand. It's worth it just for the chain maintenance. You can get one and a set of spools for around 100 bucks.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy 5 S using Tapatalk
The Best of the Rear Stands run about $125-150. The Retail store, Cycle Gear has one on sale for $39., marked down from $79. It's not the best, but it does the job. :cool:

image.jpg image.jpg

·
Registered
117 Posts
Have assistant walk the bike forward in N and apply lube. Be sure to clean your chain too! Wd-40 works for both.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Guys, he is asking about on the road. You're not carrying a rear stand when traveling.
What yoyodyne posted works.
I use to walk the bike back and forth. Alternatively, get a center stand if on-the-road maintenance is going to be regular... That was my best friend in the mountains.

·
Registered
377 Posts
I spray the upper chain top/bottom as far as I can reach with ptfe/wax,
then the lower chain "
then push the bike forward enough to expose the chain bits that were around the sprockets or under the sheild, do it again.

rarely do I have to push the bike again after doing the above.

·
Registered
350 Posts
On the road without assistant is a pain. Spray a little, roll the bike forward, spray some more repeat. Or tilt up onto the sidestand.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Guys, he is asking about on the road. You're not carrying a rear stand when traveling.
What yoyodyne posted works.
I use to walk the bike back and forth. Alternatively, get a center stand if on-the-road maintenance is going to be regular... That was my best friend in the mountains.
Ah! Apparently my reading comprehension is off today.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Eons ago, I used to put all sorts of things under a bike to hold it up, but it's so much easier and more stable to use proper stands. Buying them is a one time investment that you can use with any number of bikes for the rest of your life.
If you're on such a long trip that you absolutely must lube on the road then anything that works is OK.

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
Eons ago, I used to put all sorts of things under a bike to hold it up, but it's so much easier and more stable to use proper stands. Buying them is a one time investment that you can use with any number of bikes for the rest of your life.

Eons......???

Man, you ARE old :eek:ccasion18:

·
Registered
768 Posts
I carried a section of PVC in a tail bag on old my Transalp rides. Then I discovered Scottoilers.
12 2 mods 003.jpg 12 2 mods 004b.JPG finished.jpg IMG_7364.JPG

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
There's a little roll-stand that is small (fits under the seat) and is 50 bucks

It's called a wheel jockey.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts