Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Most of the bikes I have owned lately have had either a factory lower fairing, or race bodywork that hides the headers.

The FJ-09 has no lower fairing, and 3 (currently) shiny header pipes hanging out just behind the front fender, where I suspect they will be subject to regular slashings of dirt, slop and crud from the roadways. These pipes will obviously be quite hot when in use, and thus, this crap is going to bake onto the headers regularly.

Does anyone have tips/experience with keeping header pipes looking good? Has anyone ever buffed/polished header pipes with a rotary buffer?

I'm also considering a fenda extender for the rear of the front fender, but I know those pipes are going to get nasty looking anyway.

How should I keep them clean?

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
Think about it; Should you really have your pipes exposed..???

Reactions: Hawkerjet

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I thought I was doing OK by not letting my big pipe drag on the ground. Nonetheless, I still want to keep 'em looking good. Tips, anyone?

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
The Fenda Extender for the front mudguard helps a lot in keeping the headers clean.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Semichrome and steel wool.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I use Nevr-Dull from Eagle One. Just wad up a little cloth with a little elbow grease and you're set. Keeps them looking great!

·
Registered
120 Posts
I only ran the stock headers for a few hundred miles before installing IXIL's excellent shot-peened units as part of their full system. The stock units were dulled and dirty in a short period and so far after a thousand miles, dirt doesn't even stick to the new ones. Didn't expect this benefit when I ordered them.

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
I find the Pyramid Plastics Fenda Extenda works great to help keep crap off the pipes.

Pyramid Plastics Fenda Extenda for Yamaha FZ-09 '14 - TwistedThrottle.com

To install it I just used some Permatex Silicone Adhesive Sealant between the extender and underside of the front fender, and it is mounted rock solid. Just make sure you give it lots of time for the silicone adhesive to cure, and use some good tape (like Gorilla tape) to hold it in place while it's curing.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Mothers and a rag or WD and 0000 steel wool if they're bad. The biggest thing is to keep them clean. The longer you let crap bake on, the harder it is to get off.

·
Registered
21 Posts

·
Registered
857 Posts
Mothers and a rag or WD and 0000 steel wool if they're bad. The biggest thing is to keep them clean. The longer you let crap bake on, the harder it is to get off.
I agree! PS wait until the pipes have cooled off,

Ride Safe.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Mine look good except where they come from the engine and there they have turned a blackish color. Right where they exit
the head for about 1 1/2 to2 inches. Used neverdull and all looks good except this area???

1 - 18 of 18 Posts