Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm having a major dispute with my husband right now. For years, I've been using Avon Skin So Soft to remove adhesive residue from ANYTHING, including painted surfaces that I wouldn't want to ruin. I trust it that much. I removed the letters from the hood and pinstripes off my Jeep Wrangler I had several years ago, using Skin So Soft, cotton balls and a hair dryer.

The other day he tried to remove the two labels that come from the manufacturer. He picked at the corners so they not only looked stupid, but they looked crappy and stupid with the dog-eared corners. So I grabbed a hair dryer, hoping that it would soften the glue enough to just peel right off. No such luck, and the residue was left behind.

So I went to grab the Skin So Soft, and he said I'm not using that on his motorcycle. I love the man, but I really don't like him very much right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
I used WD-40 on mine. Skin so soft huh? Also works as a good mosquito repellant

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
I find a hair dryer or a good heat gun works to get the sticker off. Just making sure you don't use to much heat and burn or bubble the paint.

Then WD-40 a soft cloth and elbow grease, it can take a while, but it will slowly get rid of the glue.

Some people have mentioned Goo Gone works great, but I have never used it.\
Stain Removal | Adhesive Remover | Oven Cleaner

Reactions: Jem

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Don't use GoofOff. It removed the clearcoat off a Suzuki until the color starting coming off on the cloth. Admittedly, it was soft clearcoat from the factory.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I used WD-40 on mine. Skin so soft huh? Also works as a good mosquito repellant
I've been using it for years and never had a problem. If he'd use it, it oughta keep the bike bug-free on our trip to the Gap this week!
But since he wants to be a doodyhead, I'll try these other suggestions. If not, then he can ride around with that crap on his tank until the adhesive boogers fall off in a year or so.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
lots of products out there that do the job and have been mentioned above. Vegetable oil works. I prefer peanut oil but others work as well. Goof off is the best product I know of but I have also seen it damage painted surfaces.

I usually try furniture polish first. If that doesn't get it off, then vegetable oil, wd40 or Goof Off and finally acetone, MEK or similar solvents but realize they will also attack the paint!

·
Registered
87 Posts
I've used Goo Gone on both of my bikes. My Honda VTX had these huge plasti-chrome helmet emblems on the tank, I let it sit out in the sun and put the goo gone stuff on it then just wiped it off with a microfiber towel after about 15-20 minutes, used the same technique on the tank sticker on the FZ worked like a charm. My FZ is the matte gray and my Honda is a candy burgundy so I can speak to the effectiveness on both types of paint.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Heat, peel, if there's any residue left, 3M adhesive remover on a paper towel = done!
the 3M stuff is specifically designed for taking adhesive crap off of automotive finishes, so no worries about damaging the paint :cool:

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
White vinegar, Red Wine, or Imported Beer -- all to be used sparingly.:cool:

Reactions: Lateralus

·
Registered
101 Posts
Goo gone is definitely better than all the products I tried over the years, plus it smells good.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Depends on the surface. I've found that carb cleaner works really well on everything. I'm not brave enough to try it on painted surfaces though.

Reactions: Steve101

·
Registered
635 Posts
Getting a divorce worked for me and as a added bonus was more money to spend on the bike; but I feel that you are not looking at going to that extreme so yeah, WD-40 works good. One just has to let it soak if it is an old sticker plus be prepared for discoloration due to covered area possibly being a crisper/fresher color than that of the paint that may have faded in the interim. Circular motion will ball it up nicely then you just have to get the goop booger off your finger.
On another note- I assume( I know a bad thing) that you use SSS on yourself and your hubby doesn't complain so why is he having a fit if his mistress (bike) uses it also?

1 - 20 of 37 Posts