Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looked through shop manual and did not see how to change CO setting. Could someone enlighten us?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Hold Select and Reset buttons, switch ignition to on whilst holding the buttons for a further 4 or so seconds.
You're then able to select CO or dIAG. Go into CO by pressing and holding both buttons for 2 seconds.

I believe this is for the MT only and not the FZ.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I dont think you can in the US or so I hear?

A mate put this on another forum.

If you have a Euro or an MT-09 you can change the CO

Access Co/Diag menu -
Hold down both select/reset buttons. Turn key so dash comes on. Keep holding till diag appears. Press select to show CO.
Hold down both buttons and 1 will appear.
If you press select it will run through 1 then 2 then 3 cylinder.
On each of these hold down both buttons till 0 appears.
Now you can change it up.
Once done on that cylinder press both buttons and repeat for all.

edit: beat me by a minute @Rekt !

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
co adjust can be done easily on mt's. on fz's, the co adjust needs to be done with the yamaha diagnostics tool which is supposed to only be available to dealers.

·
Registered
226 Posts
On my old WR we had to run a ground wire from the lean angle sensor to the negative battery terminal to access the the diagnostic/CO settings. I wonder if it's the same with the FZ???

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
What is the purpose of doing this? What is the CO?

·
Registered
108 Posts
co adjust can be done easily on mt's. on fz's, the co adjust needs to be done with the yamaha diagnostics tool which is supposed to only be available to dealers.
Has anyone running stock exhaust / ECU asked a dealer to adjust the CO settings on their FZ09? I was reading a thread on the UK forum which has a lot of comment about adjusting all three cylinders to a setting of 14, and this having a noticeable positive effect on throttle snatchiness, by it seems making richening the AFR (unless i'm reading it wrong which is quite possible). I'm tempted to try this (I'd do it myself if we could but it's one of the differences between MT and FZ) but before going to the dealer here I'd be interested to know if anyone has adjusted the settings and also feels it is worth doing.

Changing the CO settings in the DIAG menu [Archive] - Yamaha MT-09 / FZ-09 Forums - The largest Yamaha MT-09 / FZ-09 Forum on the Internet!

It's a looong thread so here are a couple of the more intriguing posts:

"I think 14 is the normal advice.
I dont think its power loss your feeling rather a smooter throttle with no jerkiness so it seems like less power. Triple Trouble you dynod it didnt you?

Yes mate we've dyno'd quite a few MT's now and they all run much smoother with no jerkiness with the CO set to 14 on all 3 cylinders."

AND

"Did you notice any difference when you rode it after you changed it ?

I did. Took from Gloucester to the Brecons for a spin, last night. Perfect evening. I stopped at various points to try different levels and I'm happiest with 14 (stock exhaust) the difference in 'B' is negligible but in 'A' it's remarkable. Throttle much less snatchy at low end and the smoothness when rolling on is significantly better. As long as the are no detrimental long-term effects (and why would Yamaha allow this kind of flexibility in the setup if there were.....) this is where my settings will stay. If it hadn't been for this thread, I'd probably never have known :)"

·
Registered
520 Posts
Has anyone running stock exhaust / ECU asked a dealer to adjust the CO settings on their FZ09? I was reading a thread on the UK forum which has a lot of comment about adjusting all three cylinders to a setting of 14, and this having a noticeable positive effect on throttle snatchiness, by it seems making richening the AFR (unless i'm reading it wrong which is quite possible). I'm tempted to try this (I'd do it myself if we could but it's one of the differences between MT and FZ) but before going to the dealer here I'd be interested to know if anyone has adjusted the settings and also feels it is worth doing.

Changing the CO settings in the DIAG menu [Archive] - Yamaha MT-09 / FZ-09 Forums - The largest Yamaha MT-09 / FZ-09 Forum on the Internet!

It's a looong thread so here are a couple of the more intriguing posts:

"I think 14 is the normal advice.
I dont think its power loss your feeling rather a smooter throttle with no jerkiness so it seems like less power. Triple Trouble you dynod it didnt you?

Yes mate we've dyno'd quite a few MT's now and they all run much smoother with no jerkiness with the CO set to 14 on all 3 cylinders."

AND

"Did you notice any difference when you rode it after you changed it ?

I did. Took from Gloucester to the Brecons for a spin, last night. Perfect evening. I stopped at various points to try different levels and I'm happiest with 14 (stock exhaust) the difference in 'B' is negligible but in 'A' it's remarkable. Throttle much less snatchy at low end and the smoothness when rolling on is significantly better. As long as the are no detrimental long-term effects (and why would Yamaha allow this kind of flexibility in the setup if there were.....) this is where my settings will stay. If it hadn't been for this thread, I'd probably never have known :)"

Do you know what the stock CO setting is currently set to?

·
Registered
108 Posts
Do you know what the stock CO setting is currently set to?
Just going by what I've read on that and similar threads seems that many bikes are set to 0-0-0. That said (and again just going by what I've read), some folk have reported other settings ie 5-2-5, possibly where the dealer has changed things pre-delivery. But apparently there is no specific Yamaha guidance for dealers as to what should be recommended 'stock' setting.

One school of thought is that setting to 0 leans things a bit and is thus more emissions-friendly and hence possibly mandated by legal requirements at delivery. My understanding is that setting each cylinder to 14 (I don't know what '14' represents, which I'd like to know) richens mixture, presumably all across the fuel maps.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Just going by what I've read on that and similar threads seems that many bikes are set to 0-0-0. That said (and again just going by what I've read), some folk have reported other settings ie 5-2-5, possibly where the dealer has changed things pre-delivery. But apparently there is no specific Yamaha guidance for dealers as to what should be recommended 'stock' setting.

One school of thought is that setting to 0 leans things a bit and is thus more emissions-friendly and hence possibly mandated by legal requirements at delivery. My understanding is that setting each cylinder to 14 (I don't know what '14' represents, which I'd like to know) richens mixture, presumably all across the fuel maps.
Interesting... I will ask my flash tune guy about this when akrapovic decides they profit more when they keep up their supply with demand.

If you find the value of 14, please post... I'de like to convert whatever value that is to my akra carbon if it doesnt come defaulted with my flash and helps fill in gaps that the flash misses... Between that, a flash, and a g2 throttle tube... I think A mode would be amazing. It's a shame because i loce stock A mode on open roads, but its less performance in the twisties.

·
Registered
400 Posts
I thought I saw in another thread here, this indeed did work on US bikes as well? I have not tried myself yet...

And if we cant... WTF? Why do we not get to use the cool stuff?

·
Registered
652 Posts

·
Registered
400 Posts

·
Registered
555 Posts
I did this, changed to 14 on all cylinders. Promptly changed it back after a few rides. Makes the lean surge and smoothness of the throttle a bit better, but you lose some of that snappiness from my experience. Felt........doughier. And my fuel economy suffered.

Nobody, has given any type of firm answer to what it is that they are actually changing. I know it is fuel, because I could smell how rich the bloody exhaust was with each increase in value. But what ranges? What rpm does it alter values at? Just closed loop? All the time? Nobody knows. But everybody is doing it. Counter intuitive.

And I had the weird result also of increased engine temp. Not worth it IMHO. Leave it up to the PCV or a dyno tune.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
I did this, changed to 14 on all cylinders. Promptly changed it back after a few rides. Makes the lean surge and smoothness of the throttle a bit better, but you lose some of that snappiness from my experience. Felt........doughier. And my fuel economy suffered.
you don't have to set it to 14, you can set it to a lower value if you want. just try some intermediate values and find the best compromise.

·
Registered
555 Posts
you don't have to set it to 14, you can set it to a lower value if you want. just try some intermediate values and find the best compromise.
I tried from as low as 2 all the way up to 14, stepping up in increments of 2. Each time, got progressively smoother on throttle, but progressively worse elsewhere lol.

At 0-0-0.......she bloody rips, and I find it to be the best setting.

Good to see people playing around though, just wish someone could give a firm answer to what it is that they are actually changing!!!!

1 - 20 of 36 Posts