Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this is most likely the opposite of what most of you want, but how do you prevent your bike from doing this? I have been on a number of cruiser bikes and never for a second thought about losing contact with the pavement. Apparently, this is something that people like to do and have an easy time doing on the FZ-09. How do you avoid doing this?? Do all sport type bikes do this?? Thanks!

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Cruisers do it too, usually you get a chirp out of the back tire instead of a wheelie, but i have seen a lot of cruisers loose contact with the front. Having said that its not like you buy the bike and the front wheel is floating, you have to accelerate hard and keep going after you feel the front wheel get light. And a clutch wheelie you have to pull in the clutch rev it up and pop the clutch. You shouldn't have to worry about it randomly happening unless you are already pushing the bike.

·
Registered
276 Posts
I know this is most likely the opposite of what most of you want, but how do you prevent your bike from doing this? I have been on a number of cruiser bikes and never for a second thought about losing contact with the pavement. Apparently, this is something that people like to do and have an easy time doing on the FZ-09. How do you avoid doing this?? Do all sport type bikes do this?? Thanks!
B mode helps. Lean a little forward as you accelerate. Give it smooth throttle instead of a big jerk. Sitting straight up an grabbing a big gob of throttle is a sure way to wheelie in the first two gears. Also don't dump the clutch. That will also cause it to wheelie. Most sport bikes have low clip on bars that put more of your weight on the front, making them not so wheelie prone. Do you mostly ride on B mode? One thing that might help is to stiffen the preload on your rear shock (may be a harsher ride) or better yet get the one advertised here on the forum. These few things used in combination may help you keep your front down.

·
Super Moderator
5,751 Posts
Honestly, B mode and a lot of throttle restraint/control. Having said that, stoppies are almost as much fun as wheelies!

Reactions: zloikish

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
Its a lot battle... lol

Pretty much come down to throttle input! Upgrading the rear shock help a bit... in 3rd gear but still quite easy in first 2 gears.

Sorry... its just the nature of the beast!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
What others have said, throttle control etc, you will learn.

Have weight as far forward as reasonably possible, use a tank bag instead of putting stuff on the tail. Lean forward when you want to accelerate hard.

You don't need to do it right away, but if you have enough time on the 09 that you are comfortable with full acceleration and the 09 is going to be a long term bike for then upgrade the suspension. Stock when you gas it the rear shock allows too much "squat", the tail goes down, and that rotation makes a wheelie even more likely.

Personally I'm not completely adverse to wheelies, but they aren't why I ride. I like twisties and being able to use as much of the bike's acceleration as possible, so I'll be looking for lower/more forward handlebars to get my weight forward, upgrading he suspension etc. It will still wheelie if I want, but most of the time I'll just want it to go like a bat out of **** lol.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

1 - 20 of 82 Posts