Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just picked up a new MT-09 and need to be able to strap a backpack on the back.

How are you guys without luggage racks strapping down a duffle bag / backpack to your MT-09 when you have fender eliminator?

Doesn't seem like anywhere good to put the Rok Straps I have but I'm sure someone has come up with something.

Please share if you have.

Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
2,742 Posts
Just picked up a new MT-09 and need to be able to strap a backpack on the back.

How are you guys without luggage racks strapping down a duffle bag / backpack to your MT-09 when you have fender eliminator?

Doesn't seem like anywhere good to put the Rok Straps I have but I'm sure someone has come up with something.

Please share if you have.

Thanks.
You could use a net and straps that anchor to the passenger peg brackets.
I've also looped rope/straps under the seat before.

On the seat, there should be a loop of material used as a grab/hold. You could loop some rope under that as well.
Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive tire Sky

Just make sure the load is secure before getting on the road.
Also, make sure not to block the tail light.

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
I mounted my straps with pop rivets on the underside of the seat and it has quick clips that attach the bag. and when not in use the straps on the seat can be tucked under the seat for a factory look.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I had to buy a used stock rear fender for my previous Triumph 765R, not because I couldn’t fit luggage with the fender eliminator on, but because the luggage ended up partly covering the brake light and turn signals.

This is the reason I’m keeping the stock rear fender on my 21MT09

·
Registered
2022 Yamaha MT-09 SP
78 Posts
i've got the nelson rigg touring bag on my 22 mt09. I couldn't fit the straps under the seat (couldn't get it to latch) so I tied the straps to the passenger peg bracket (like @MK3Brent said) i looped the back set of straps around the back fender but with your fender gone you may have to strap that part under the seat or at least attach to the passenger hold. The back part the straps are mainly there to keep the bag from flopping upwards.

I much prefer the look of the straps tucked away under the seat. May have to go out and try to get that to work again.

·
Super Moderator
2,742 Posts
Just to add some knowledge, I think everyone should learn some basic knots.
My go-to knot for everything is a trucker's hitch.
Here's some info on how to do it.

Tool Rectangle Hand tool Font Pliers

Reactions: Camp49

·
Registered
2019 Yamaha MT 10
1,857 Posts
I still have a Nelson Rigg touring bag for sale. Accepting offers. It's a few years old and lightly used.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I mounted my straps with pop rivets on the underside of the seat and it has quick clips that attach the bag. and when not in use the straps on the seat can be tucked under the seat for a factory look.
This sounds like an option. Do you have any pics? Is it easy install? Thanks

·
Registered
2021 MT-09
114 Posts
If so inclined, you could also add spacers under those two bolts per side along with longer bolts, and then add some type of tab/hook/short strap with a hole, to connect your straps too. My Ventura rack system include these two mounting bars, but uses included spacers so that these bars extend out just enough to clear the side body. I think the spacers needed wouldn't be thicker than say 1/2" or so, so we're not talking anything funky looking.

Sky Automotive tire Helmet Vehicle Automotive lighting

·
Registered
503 Posts
Just to add some knowledge, I think everyone should learn some basic knots.
My go-to knot for everything is a trucker's hitch.
Here's some info on how to do it.

View attachment 170814
Good Stuff Brent! I like a bowline but this truckers hitch will be my go to.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Here you go :
gabraham5757,
I ordered the Kriega US-20 and have a question. I found several bolts that will work to mount the straps under my seat to the frame. What did you do when making holes through the straps? I don't want to mess up the integrity of the strap by the hole causing rips in the strap. How do you make a non frayed hole in the strap?

·
Registered
4,564 Posts
Put two of these behind your upper tag bolts. I also found that the subframe has bolt locations underneath as well as marked places to drill the plastic subframe cover. I have been using them for decades.

P1Tools Dirt bike Tie Down Strap Rings
Automotive tire Bicycle part Rim Font Automotive wheel system

·
Registered
13 Posts
If so inclined, you could also add spacers under those two bolts per side along with longer bolts, and then add some type of tab/hook/short strap with a hole, to connect your straps too. My Ventura rack system include these two mounting bars, but uses included spacers so that these bars extend out just enough to clear the side body. I think the spacers needed wouldn't be thicker than say 1/2" or so, so we're not talking anything funky looking.

View attachment 170819
Yep 👍
I have the exact same one ☝

1 - 17 of 17 Posts