Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to do a HID retrofit on a used headlight I have but I don't have the slightest idea on how separate the lens and the back of the housing. I don't even see any sealant anywhere. Does anyone know where I should start?

I've done retrofits on my previous car and it was held in my tabs and black sealant. With a little bit of heat and muscle, I was able to pry those headlights apart. No luck with the FZ'9's headlight.

·
Registered
651 Posts
I had a quick look at the assembly.It appears that there is a black cover surround that hides the tabs and sealant.I suggest you look at the small gap at the back of this cover and try to see the parts that appear to be snap catches and lift these to release the cover. then you should be able to work on the sealant/tabs.
Tip:The sealant can be softened by immersing the whole assembly in hot water.This is safer than using a hot air gun.

·
Vendor
2,394 Posts
This is what I did:
I preheated my oven to 250*.
When it reached that temp, I turned the oven off and threw my headlight in the oven for 15 minutes.
Once the 15 minute timer went off, I grabbed the hot headlight and pried apart the front lens and trim piece (together) from the rest of the headlight.

P.S. Getting the reflector shroud will be a whole lot of fun.
You will need to unscrew the adjuster bolts and then pry the fugger off with incredible strength in order to dislodge the plastic piece from the round-headed bolt:

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks. This is the exact info I need to proceed. I'll give it another shot this coming weekend.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Has anyone had luck removing the reflector bowl? I feel like I have been prying for days. Any tips on how to remove that mother from the headlight? The adjuster screws are off, its the plastic piece on the inside I am struggling with....The piece Niner posted above.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts