Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if anyone uses the wear on the rear tire as a gauge to how far you are leaning the bike in the turns?
Last weekend and this weekend great riding finally. Only 760 miles and I feel more comfortable with the handling compared to my 08 SV650.

20140419_185049.jpg

·
Super Moderator
5,734 Posts
Personally, I don't. In fact, I've got probably 1/4" of chicken strips on both sides of the rear tire. I would rather use good body position and get my butt and upper body off the bike to the inside of the turn than to lean it over to the maximum lean angle. The less lean angle that you've got, the more of the tire surface is in contact with the pavement.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I don't use a tire to gauge my lean angle - too many variables. I use my knee slider to tell me how much room I have left, if that gets pinched between the bike and the road, I'm out! :)

Here's my rear Dunlop Q3 after last weekends ride. Bike now has just under 500 miles on it, about 400 or so on these tires.

·
Registered
418 Posts
I know guys that are much faster in the turns and don't lean as far over as other guys on the same bike. I know when I'm using all of the tire when my knee puck hits the pavement. But seriously chicken strips don't really prove anything on a street bike. If you have them after a day at the track, there's a huge problem! Just enjoy the bike and use however much of the rear tire you feel comfortable with.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I don't use a tire to gauge my lean angle - too many variables. I use my knee slider to tell me how much room I have left, if that gets pinched between the bike and the road, I'm out! :)

Here's my rear Dunlop Q3 after last weekends ride. Bike now has just under 500 miles on it, about 400 or so on these tires.

whoa, cool. I was just wondering. Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
5,734 Posts

Looks like you need to back off the rebound just a bit.....you got a slight bit of raised area on the trailing edge of the tire grooves.

Reactions: Rayminator

·
Registered
238 Posts
Looks like you need to back off the rebound just a bit.....you got a slight bit of raised area on the trailing edge of the tire grooves.
My boingers were set at GP Suspension (in 35 degree weather and with their former #1 plate holder/suspension guy) to "put it in the ballpark" and the plan is to get me two ideal settings next weekend when I see them again at the track. I'll get an optimum street setting and hopefully one better suited for track days.

On the street it feels quite nice so far, but I honestly won't know what I like and don't like until I get it to the track and can get it in that environment which magnifies imperfections in set up as you know.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My boingers were set at GP Suspension (in 35 degree weather and with their former #1 plate holder/suspension guy) to "put it in the ballpark" and the plan is to get me two ideal settings next weekend when I see them again at the track. I'll get an optimum street setting and hopefully one better suited for track days.

On the street it feels quite nice so far, but I honestly won't know what I like and don't like until I get it to the track and can get it in that environment which magnifies imperfections in set up as you know.
dude after looking at your rear tire I am definitely not in your league, lol. I think I do pretty good, but nothing like that. My fun comes passing cars from 65 to 105 in no time, but man

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
I love leaning the bike over and feeling the Gs in the corners. While i have scuffed the entire profile of the rear tire, my average ride leaves about 1\4 inch chicken strips... I like keeping the meat of the tire on the road. I haven't had a high side on this bike... yet... ;)

·
Registered
350 Posts
This is a common thread in sport bike forums, 'my tires are used to the edge, and yours have chicken strips, so you are a pansy'. Silly macho bullshit. Don't try to emulate the track guys on the street. Learn to ride at your own pace. If you are using maximum lean angles on the street you are not using good judgement. Track is different, clean surfaces. The street is dirty and unpredictable. Ride conservative on the street. If your buddies tease you about your chicken strips, find new buddies.

·
Registered
6 Posts
If you have them after a day at the track, there's a huge problem!.
Not sure I aggree with this statement. I have strips on my race bike and street bike and what it tells me is that my BP is working. The less lean angle you have the more you can throttle which is key. For the op, don't worry about chicken strips, worry about riding comfortably and in a manner that you are in control. As you progress you will use more of the tire and learn to manipulate the bike so you have room for error. Never know if the guy in front of you is goin to go down and you might need that last little bit of bike lean to save yourself and the guy who went down.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Not sure I aggree with this statement. I have strips on my race bike and street bike and what it tells me is that my BP is working. The less lean angle you have the more you can throttle which is key. For the op, don't worry about chicken strips, worry about riding comfortably and in a manner that you are in control. As you progress you will use more of the tire and learn to manipulate the bike so you have room for error. Never know if the guy in front of you is goin to go down and you might need that last little bit of bike lean to save yourself and the guy who went down.
As in ( start at 2:00 min )

Reactions: EdVR

·
Registered
601 Posts
One trip to Jennings would shred my rear to the edge. But I never plan to track this bike. And I live in Florida.

So I'll have perpetual chicken strips. Even if I ride up to the Smokies.

I ride my own ride and don't care about any macho BS like how much unused edge tread I have on my rear (or my tires).

Lean shouldn't necessarily be a goal. The more lean the less traction and the more likely you are to scrape parts and hit the asphalt. I've seen many guys crash in front of me by leaning the bike too much in turn eight at Jennings.

The horrible scraping noise of a bike's parts being grinded away is not a good sound.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks everybody, I was just curious. I am not a "track" person. All my riding on street (been riding for 30 years or so, some of it dirt) and so far my bike is 100% stock. I maxed out the suspension and it seems to be ok although I will at some point change the shock and the springs in the front. but this bike handles very well. Yesterday I rode 218 from corwnall to west point and that road was salty and sandy (its on the side of the mountain along the Hudson river). Usually a great place to lean in the turns and test yourself a bit but dangerous cause you have limited sight around corners.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Not sure I agree with this statement. I have strips on my race bike and street bike and what it tells me is that my BP is working. The less lean angle you have the more you can throttle which is key.
I've never seen a real race bike with strips, EVER. I don't mean a street bike that's used for track days, that's not a race. I mean a real race bike as in used in actual races. If you have strips on a real honest to goodness race bike and you're actually racing in competition, you would not fare too well in the standings.

As in ( start at 2:00 min )

Looked to me he hit the yellow line when he went down. You can't have an extreme lean angle an a bad line, there is no room for error. They were following WAY too close for street riding. Following close like that in the twisties is asking for trouble, which the video proves. I have been on a few rides with people I don't know. When they do crap like that I never ride with them again.

Reactions: triplethreat

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Is Palomar in Arizona?

·
Registered
83 Posts
leaning the bike too much in turn eight at Jennings.
That corner got me! Was rookie shit too, came in too fast thinking the track was magic asphalt or something. Like 6 laps into the second session, ruined my whole day.

The whole chicken strip thing is silly. I knew a guy that used to brag about his lack of them, and sure enough he didn't, but then his body positioning was god-awful. Proper positioning should allow you to lean the bike less and give you more traction, which is good for everyone

1 - 20 of 78 Posts