Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been getting about 44.3 mpg average and have 300 miles so far according to my FZ-09's gauge. For some reason, I feel I'm getting less mpg than what the gauge is stating. I do about 65/35 highway/city riding.

Is the real-time and average mpg info pinpoint accurate?

·
Registered
275 Posts
The Scangauge and Ultragauges on my 4 wheeled vehicles have been really accurate once calibrated, too bad the non-calibratable oem stuff isn't as good.

·
Registered
364 Posts
On this small of a volume of gas, filling technic along can cause the average mileage to vary alot. On a motorcycle, how you drive has a great effect then in a car. I will use the trip meter and the gas gauge to determine when to fill up. Driving the bike 65 miles home the dealer, I was varying the speed all over the place. With one bar left on the gauge, I put in just under three gallons and drove 104 miles averaging around 35 MPG.

Reactions: chuck

·
Registered
147 Posts
Chuck, when I drive easy, obey the speed limit, and ride in econ, I get about 45-48 MPG. If I open it up and ride I average around 40. Note: Oahu does not have a lot of open areas so most of the time I am riding at 45MPH.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Chuck, when I drive easy, obey the speed limit, and ride in econ, I get about 45-48 MPG. If I open it up and ride I average around 40. Note: Oahu does not have a lot of open areas so most of the time I am riding at 45MPH.
Nice! It must be awesome riding around in Oahu! That's pretty good mileage for city riding.

How is it riding around on a tropical island? Do you go full gear?

·
Super Moderator
5,700 Posts
I did a track day this past weekend on the FZ and obviously had the throttle at wide open a lot more than normal type riding. The results.......22.4 MPG...but who cares...I was at Road Atlanta and having fun.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Chuck, I really don't do city riding more or less going from the North Shore to Schofield. It is nice to ride on the island but we have started our "rainy" season which means it never stops. I wear long pants, shirt, helmet, boots. Never really too hot/cold.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all your input guys! Looks like I'll have to start calculating my own mpg from the pump.

Safe riding to you all!

·
Registered
76 Posts
I saw someone mention this once on this forum, but I never saw anyone link to it. For all concerned with MPGs you should either view this site, or join up and log your miles. I use this to track my car and once I have an FZ-09 I will probably track that as well. It has some cool features and makes it easy as I just text the numbers off my car and the pump and it records it down for my viewing pleasure.

Yamaha FZ-09 MPG Reports | Fuelly
Yamaha MT-09 MPG Reports | Fuelly

If more people with FZ-09's join up, there will be better data to view from. It really depends on how you ride though, so take it for what it is. I just like the records and various charts/graphs it displays.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I saw someone mention this once on this forum, but I never saw anyone link to it. For all concerned with MPGs you should either view this site, or join up and log your miles. I use this to track my car and once I have an FZ-09 I will probably track that as well. It has some cool features and makes it easy as I just text the numbers off my car and the pump and it records it down for my viewing pleasure.

Yamaha FZ-09 MPG Reports | Fuelly
Yamaha MT-09 MPG Reports | Fuelly

If more people with FZ-09's join up, there will be better data to view from. It really depends on how you ride though, so take it for what it is. I just like the records and various charts/graphs it displays.
I'll definitively give that a go. Do you use the mpg reported by the computer or do you calculate it?

·
Registered
76 Posts
I'll definitively give that a go. Do you use the mpg reported by the computer or do you calculate it?
I personally use my trip mileage when I text them the information. They give you the option of using your total mileage as well, but if you happen to forget to log a fuel up then it gets a little quirky for the next time around. So no, nothing on that site is based on the MPG computer, but the trip computer.

As an example, when I text them my text will usually include the following information in it: "330.4 3.379 9.440"
You don't include the quotation marks of course, and the numbers signify miles, price per gallon, and amount of gallons put in respectively. If you read their site a little bit then you can actually add some more information to your log via text like the amount of city vs. highway driving you think the trip was, and additional notes. I just text the above info because it is easier. Only one number comes off the vehicle as you can see, so I usually text this all as I'm sitting at the pump. Its become a slight habbit so I haven't missed a fuel up yet.

****ing Focus (Ford Focus) | Fuelly
That is my current statistics for my Ford Focus. Don't mind the name of my vehicle, but this just gives you an idea of some of the stats you get when you have logged a few miles. I bought the car new, and started the Fuelly account after one fill up I believe so this is about 300~ miles shy of the actual mileage on my car. I wanted to compare it next to Ford's claim of 36MPG highway and I'd say I'm doing well. My commute is like 90% highway.

·
Registered
768 Posts
I have been tasked by my selling dealer to run 1 tank of gas in each of the three ride modes and document the mpg for each.
There's an approx. 125 loop I'm going to do with fill-ups at the same station with the same grade of gas, etc...
Wish me luck!

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
I should be about the same. As lkng as the riding style stays the same. When the ECO icon is on on the dash the ECU keep the AFR at 14.7:1

On my test @ 70 MPH I got 47 MPG... just ro five you an idea.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
768 Posts
Not wanting to eek the last drop from a full tank of gas just to do a mpg average, I have completed two 100 mile stints in both Standard and B modes thus far. Both had a small amount of city riding mixed with near identical back roads and a little 4 lane duty.
I used Texaco 93 octane for Standard and Chevron 93 (same gas, really) for B mode. Both contained up to 10% ethanol.
I didn't baby it, nor did I cane the crap out it either. I just rode and enjoyed the rides.
Standard mode: 100.1 miles on 2.05 gallons = 48.82 mpg.
B mode: 100.5 miles on 2.049 gallosns = 49.048 mpg.
I have saved A mode for last and admittedly will ride it a bit more aggressively. Who wouldn't?!!?
Stay tuned, campers!

Of note: I rode it between 500 and 1,400 feet above sea level in temps from 69F-79F.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Dang that's considerably better than I'm getting. I'm averaging 42.7 over my 950 miles so far. Of course that's better than the 12mpg that my old range rover gets so I've really got no complaints!

Daniel

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 23 Posts