Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Banned
739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Didn't want to sidetrack that road rage thread...

What do you guys think about the horn on the FZ? I think it's incredibly wimpy sounding. Not that I use it a lot but, when I need to it's that embarrassing 'excuse me' Japanese tweet. Plus, I can never find it quickly enough with my thumb.

Any good upgrades to this part?

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
Denali makes a louder Air Horn that I added -- Revzilla has a few as I recall -- But it wasn't loud enough IMO. Cagers are deaf in Florida. :(

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
Stebel Nautilus on my last three bikes. Love it!

It's bigger than stock and will crunch your front fender if you mount it in the same spot. I managed to work it into the space above the airbox. Still plenty loud. They typically ship with a relay, so the amp draw of the air compressor comes directly from your battery, while the horn button only pulls in the coil contacts. That keeps the horn load from frying your horn button switch. Very straight forward install for under $50 and worth every penny. That was my first priority mod on the new FZ.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Stebel Nautilus on my last three bikes. Love it!

It's bigger than stock and will crunch your front fender if you mount it in the same spot. I managed to work it into the space above the airbox. Still plenty loud. They typically ship with a relay, so the amp draw of the air compressor comes directly from your battery, while the horn button only pulls in the coil contacts. That keeps the horn load from frying your horn button switch. Very straight forward install for under $50 and worth every penny. That was my first priority mod on the new FZ.
Fender problem is a very good point! Have any pictures of your installation? Thanks,

·
Registered
136 Posts
You should hear most of the European motorcycle horns.

Nothing worse than riding next to your buddy honking and you can barely hear it.

·
Registered
238 Posts
If you check the forum, I posted a thread about replacing the left switch housing with one from a Triumph Daytona 675 to get the horn button in a standard place. I have a few bikes and it was not good to have to think about where the horn button is in an urgent situation. Why Yamaha chose to buck convention with switch placement is beyond me.

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
Fender problem is a very good point! Have any pictures of your installation? Thanks,
Sorry RBC. It's in storage right now, so it would be a bit of a pain to do pics. But, I can tell you what I did easy enough.

I loosened the front tank bolt removing the trim above it first for easy access. Remove the seat next. Then, remove the rear tank mount Allen bolts and prop up the tank to give you access to the open area under the rear of the tank. I mounted the horn relay in place of the stock horn up front under the triple tree and plugged in the existing wires to control the relay coil with the horn button. Then I ran the two new contact wires from the relay back under the tank to one side of the horn and to the one battery terminal. The other side of the horn is wired to the other battery terminal. If you buy the harness kit that sells as a horn option, it has the right gage wire, an inline fuse holder plus the fuse to go into it. The wires also have spades crimped on to plug into the horn and terminal ends for the battery. It's well worth the extra $15 or $20. All instructions are included with a wiring diagram fool proofing the installation. Coil contacts are interchangeable, but the horn hookup is not. If you mix up the polarity on the horn, the compressor will spin backwards sucking instead of blowing. Not the desired result here. When you place the horn, it's just a matter of finding the best position in the best spot. The biggest challenge is routing the wires to allow enough slack to position the relay and horn. You can get creative with cushioning and securing the horn to keep it in place if you want, but there isn't a whole lot of room for it to move once the tank is bolted back down. It is tight, but I'm comfortable with where it's at and it's plenty loud. Good luck and let me know if you have more questions.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Hey, TS:

forgive me if I've missed this in an earlier post. I have the Stebel Nautilus duel horns and harness; and, have separated the horns from the compressor - where did you end up mounting each?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Hey, TS:

forgive me if I've missed this in an earlier post. I have the Stebel Nautilus duel horns and harness; and, have separated the horns from the compressor - where did you end up mounting each?

Thanks in advance.
We will never be satisfied without getting pictures from @Tigershark : )

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
1. I didn't split the horn and compressor, but that might be worth doing. I tried, but couldn't budge them. Maybe some trick that I'm not privey to?

2. You people sure like those pictures. It's still is, and shall be for some time yet, in winter storage, but I'll see what I can do.

There really was nothing significant with locating it. I just loosened the front tank bolts, removed the rear bolts and raised the tank enough to insert the complete horn assembly. It's a really tight fit, so you need to fidget it around until you're okay with the exact position. If I took a pic, you would just see it laying wherever it fit best. As my previously written procedure spells it out, I put the relay where the stock horn used to be, since that's where the horn button wires connect anyway. The only issue there was getting the return wire that's part of the accessory harness I bought to reach all the way back to the battery terminal. But, that can be done if you work at it.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Here are two videos that could help us understand (i) where the space @Tigershark was referring to actually is and also (ii) how to reach there:
1. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=pjukfBvNlAw&list=FLjXgQZ5WOBi-KzAhFWMQxkw&index=2
2. https://m.youtube.com/watch?index=1&list=FLjXgQZ5WOBi-KzAhFWMQxkw&v=rS6HhNKnA3s

@Tigershark - please correct me if I'm wrong; you did not even have to remove/separate the tank from the bike, nor did you unplug any tube, cable, harness or connector from it, right? What I understand (after watching these videos) is that the free space (range of motion) will allow us to easily put the horn in there, once we first remove the air scoops and then simply loosen the main fasteners holding the tank. This must be why you think that the installation was so easy...

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
Good videos. The second, Power Commander install, is the best source for the horn install. I removed all of the same plastic bits, but just loosened the front tank mounting bolts, then blocked up the rear of the tank enough to provide access. No tank hoses or connectors were removed. I located the horn in the same open pocket area where he located the Power Commander. Routing the horn wiring harness may have been easier if the tank had been removed. That looks like a minor addition to disassembly and relatively easy.

So, what you just asked is correct. All you have to come up with on your own is how you choose to cushion or secure the horn. Not too critical, since it can't go anywhere in that tight spot anyway.

I wouldn't hesitate recommending the purchase of the optional wiring harness associated with this horn. It's good quality with the proper stake on and ring terminal connectors, plus an inline fuse holder with a 30 amp fuse included. The length is tight from the relay back to the battery, but will work. $20 extra well spent. The horn comes with a relay, as does the harness, so you do end up with an extra relay. As I previously said, I attached the relay where the Yamaha horn was mounted. You must use the relay, because the air horn current draw would fry your horn button switch. The relay keeps that from happening.

Go for it!

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
So, does my last post along with your videos get me off the hook for pictures?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts