Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just saw one in the lot here at work....and it really caught my eye. I had no idea Honda made this.

My thought would be to add it to the garage, not replace the XSR.

Maybe I should disregard my feelings, last time I bought a power cruiser based on looks, it was the biggest pile of crap I had ever ridden (VROD).

Anyone ridden one? Thoughts? (bro, its just a rebel?)

Tire Wheel Jeans Fuel tank Automotive tire

·
Registered
32 Posts
my girlfriend has a 250 rebel, she tried the 500 rebel and is looking at the 1100 rebel. Its a solid bike for small people. my gf just cant reach the ground on most bikes and shes a fairly new rider so not being able to flat foot or even reliably tip toe on most bikes scare the crap out of her. i have sat on one and im 6ft and it just feels small. Supposedly they top at 140 which isnt bad for such a small bike but i dunno if i would take one that fast.

They are damn near impossible to get ahold of where im at too so ive only sat on a guys at a meet up once. for a short rider that doesnt wanna to do a one cheek slide at stop lights i imagine it would be great and alot packed into such a small bike. It has different modes and traction control and all that. Id be interested in actually riding one to see the limits.

·
Registered
460 Posts
It uses a detuned Africa Twin engine, I think, so not really a power cruiser like a V-max or Diavel. I think the V-rod made more power than this engine.

Edit: Seeing 80hp dyno charts lol. And the bike weighs almost 500 pounds, so if you do the math....

Honda calls this a Performance Cruiser....in very very fine print 'for noobs'.

·
Registered
32 Posts
if its the same engine as the africa twin why so much less power? can that be modified?

nevermind, i was thinking about my old versys 650 and the differences to the ninja with the same motor.... the change in horsepower just seems drastic.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It uses a detuned Africa Twin engine, I think, so not really a power cruiser like a V-max or Diavel. I think the V-rod made more power than this engine.

Edit: Seeing 80hp dyno charts lol. And the bike weighs almost 500 pounds, so if you do the math....

Honda calls this a Performance Cruiser....in very very fine print 'for noobs'.
lol, I don't know....seems like it might be nice to have when I want a different flavor. I would not get the automatic.

·
Registered
2016 xsr 900
1,605 Posts
If you just want a decent looking reliable cruiser then the rebel 1100 fits the bill. If you actually want a 'power' cruiser there are better options out there.
Indian Scout has more power at about the same weight and looks great IMHO.
Ducatti Diaval doesn't have to clasic cruiser look but has the handling and power, Power to weight ratio is about the same as an 09. Used ones aren't to espensive.
Never ridden the Rocket 3 but its supposed to be pretty strong.

·
Registered
4 Posts
A close friend of mine has the DCT version of the Rebel 1100 and I've ridden it several times.
It's not a muscle bike but it scoots fairly well and I enjoy taking it for a spin, but the no shifting or clutch being his is a DCT trips me out every time.
It's got a speed limiter so it caps you just under 100mph, no tuning solution for those bikes just yet. The sound is throaty without being obnoxious with the slip-on he has from Coffman.
If I've heard one gripe it would be that tank is small and being 1100 it's about like a sportbike on fuel-ups.

·
Registered
611 Posts
It's been detuned. No idea how easy/hard it would be to bring it back up to 'full' power.
From what I understand, they dropped the compression, different ignition timing/ECU and different cams.

I like the styling on these and I LOVE 270° parallel twins. When I first found out about these I was like, " yep, that's my road trip bike", and told my wife to expect one showing up soon. Then I discovered they neutered the engine, so...nope.

Current Africa Twins are pushing 110-120hp now? Crazy they knocked these all the way down to 80hp. Honda claims it's for more bottom end, but I think they just removed power so the small tank would still off decent range. Honda claims 41mpg for the Rebel 1100? My 09 gets 42-47mpg. Yeah, I'll stick with the 09.

·
Registered
611 Posts
lol, I don't know....seems like it might be nice to have when I want a different flavor. I would not get the automatic.
The DCT are actually pretty cool. You can let it act as an automatic transmission, or paddle shift it, which seems like it could be fun. It also adds like 25lbs to the bike. I think I'd choose manual as well.

Strange days we live in. If you offer an automatic transmission people act like you're attacking motorcycling/ their manhood down to the core. Yet, if you offer a manual trans bike without an up/down quick shifter...." Cheap bastards! I don't really want to shift gears! This is too hard!"

·
Registered
466 Posts
The DCT are actually pretty cool. You can let it act as an automatic transmission, or paddle shift it, which seems like it could be fun. It also adds like 25lbs to the bike. I think I'd choose manual as well.
I agree with you, DCT is pretty cool BUT I wouldn't want it as my only bike. I have my CP3 with manual transmission and a VFR1200X, V4 with DCT. Very different bikes and transmissions to meet different needs and moods for different types of rides.
I would recommend anyone to at least give DCT a test ride, the default "Drive" mode has conservative shift points but the "Sport" mode, especially S3 is a lot of fun.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Driven a DCT Rebel 1100 a couple of times. Never really got used to it, but it does work. A bit notchy feeling and somewhat noisy shifts for me. Hard to ride it very slowly because you can't feather the clutch - seems a bit dangerous and like it would be hard to take the CA DMV test where you drive between the concentric circle lines. I probably wouldn't buy one. More of a "chopper" style bike than a riding style bike I thought. But I imagine we can get used to anything. Small tank unnecessary. Only benefit I see is it keeps the weight down for curb weight spec. Probably good for short people who don't know how to operate a clutch and want a chopper style bike.
Regarding small tank size, I wish the FZ-09 had a five gallon tank without those silly-looking knee cutouts. If I want lower weight for the racetrack I can just put less gas into it. Never ran out, but got very close once out in the middle of nowhere and had to do a lot of downhill coasting.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts