Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
…for everything.

Christmas is already a month in the past, and before long the off-road motorcycles will answer the call from fields and trails.

A few months ago, I purchased a motorcycle lift from a shop liquidation sale. I probably mentioned needing to put the lift to good use and learning to do more work on motorcycles than in the past. Members of the forum like marthy, DNFDoug and others have really encourage me to attempt this work myself as I have done little more than oil and filter changes on motorcycles.

EBay provided a CRF150F service manual several weeks ago...

...and these torque wrenches showed up in my garage late last month during a very nice sale at Sears.

Up on the lift went one of the CRF150Fs and off came the rear shock absorber, but not without substantial resistance.

The bolts were on very tight. Guessing the prior owner may have used air tools after setting up the shock and reinstalling as I ended up using an impact wrench to loosen all four. With its now increased pre-load, the shock went back in, and the new mid-sized torque wrench (3/8 in drive) gave its indication the bolts were correctly tightened.

The chain looked to have over two inches of free play... too much. The adjustment process looked reasonably obvious and the manual confirmed the steps. Loosened the rear axle nut, rotated the chain slack adjuster until free play was about an inch, and tightened the nut according to the manual with the longest (1/2 drive) torque wrench.

Chain lube and cleanup are next, but as many members have mentioned, performing the work myself was very rewarding. Having some confidence working with a motorcycle’s suspension will be very helpful. This was my first attempt with such work, and I claim no advanced knowledge or experience. So any suggestions or recommendations are welcome.

·
Premium Member
353 Posts
Good on ya!

I was in the same position not too long ago, I never grew up around bikes & never had anyone teach me anything about mechanics. Been teaching myself & acquiring tools over the past couple years, you will be doing valve adjustments before you know it. The internet is a wonderful thing.

I like the way Doug put it in another thread, doing your own maintenance is really a part of the "experience" of owning a motorcycle, & IMO it's something every owner should do. I wouldn't have it any other way now, mistakes and all.... :rolleyes:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts