Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

Honda CBR650F

17K views 29 replies 15 participants last post by  weaponzero 
#1 · (Edited)
Interesting move by Honda, inline 4 650 starting at $8499 MSRP. If the motor runs decent it will probably stomp the SV and Kawi 650's, perhaps they are looking to steal market share at that price point in the entry market (FZ06/GSXF650).

Budget suspension and a bit heavy but it seems like every manufacturer is pushing low end bikes these days.

2014 CBR650F Overview - Honda Powersports

#3 ·
i really like the look of this, but i don't understand why they have it with the 2 500's they also offer. The VFR800 coming to America sounds like a pretty sweet deal - i like the look of this bike too, but the pricing is hard to come by, particularly when the Kawi 1000 offers more power and more features for around the same price.

Suzuki is in trouble if they don't do some major revamp to the SVF650 - that thing is a dog amongst these bikes.

#7 ·
So heavy...maybe better gas mileage...more than the 09? Not worth it. :) the fz6r has wind protection and it's much less, I would definitely prefer to go that route again.

#8 ·
I've had a first gen SV 650...TWO Yamaha FZ6'S...and one Honda 599. The 599 is the best of the lot.....but for the price of a new 650F and the weight {ugh}....I'd say the 09 is a better deal.

#15 ·
The CBR650F was in Europe last year before coming here, never know Honda may bring over the naked version if sales of the FZ09 and similar models are good.

Honda has always put together well rounded packages, they might not be the most exciting or put out the most HP but they always do everything well. Hell one of my good friends still has a mint 1992 F2 in his garage and to this day it is still a joy to ride!

#13 ·
don't really grasp the pricing of Honda's line though. Seems like the bike specs are worse than others but pricing is higher. I know they are reliable but i have yet to hear a bad thing about Suzuki or Yammi either.

LED headlights on the other hand is pretty sweet...too bad FZ didn't have this but hard to ask for them at the price point.

#14 ·
don't really grasp the pricing of Honda's line though. Seems like the bike specs are worse than others but pricing is higher. I know they are reliable but i have yet to hear a bad thing about Suzuki or Yammi either.
True indeed. Though last summer, I was riding my second consecutive Honda and was sure my next motorcycle would be yet another Honda with its presumed higher price. Yamaha came along at the right time with the right motorcycle at the right price, giving me what I wanted (upright seating position, naked, retain reasonably light weight, add a bit more power) based on my CBR250R but went lower on weight and higher on power than I ever expected. No regrets!

#20 · (Edited)
FZ09 has more power and lower price. Pretty much the "same" otherwise??? Really basic forks and the old style non-radial calipers make it look old. Nice effort Honda, welcome to 2003.

Oh, its a 650 with the weight of a z1000. This is one of those fun years when a manufacturer caught everyone else with their pants down. Who knows? Notice how none of them ever have four new models to compete with each other? As if there is an agreement to compete, but never make a new bike look bad? Hummmmm...if only there was a book... Its Yamaha turn this year.

http://www.amazon.com/Japans-Motorcycle-Wars-Industry-History/dp/0824833287

#22 · (Edited)
Yes, that is a little more than I thought. I suppose the weight is reasonable considering the Ninja 650 is listed at 461, too.

What did Yamaha forget to attach to get down to 414? I'd imagine an exhaust will drop it down to 400, even.

Seriously, a z1000 with replacement exhaust, would be just about even with the new Honda.

Its all our faults. U solder guys. Back in the 80's they had us convinced the only way to build a powerful and smooth streetbike was to use an inline 4. Oh, it also needed shaft drive. That was the ONLY way to make power while having a smooth, tour-able machine. 600 lb tubs when it was all said and done.

I'm so glad to see a triple.

#23 ·
I'm necroing this thread rather than starting a new one because I got the chance to see one of these in person at the dealership last night, and sat on it. My impressions:

1. Build quality is very very high. It doesn't suffer from "CPB syndrome" like our 09 and the 07 does (Cheap Plastic Bits--the plastic trim pieces are made of a noticeably lower grade plastic than I've seen used on bikes in the past).

2. Seating position is slightly more aggressive than a Ninja 650R I sat on but nowhere near as aggressive as an actual supersport.

3. Paint quality appears very high.

The bike fetches a $1000 or so premium over its competitors but build quality looks like it may be worth the extra $1k or so.

Based on reviews I've read, the suspension is good enough to at least carry you through novice level track days before you have to seriously start looking into upgrades, which is more than I can say for our own FZ-09. If faired sportbikes are your thing and you're on a sub-10k budget, or you don't want something quite as hard-edged as a supersport, this looks like it might be the one. Me personally though, I don't think I'll ever go back to a 4 cylinder. Twins and Triples over here.

#26 ·
Honda got third place in a shootout from this month's Motorcyclist magazine. FZ-07 placed first. YAWN.
View attachment 9507
Personally I wouldn't compare the two. They seem to have totally different riding styles, and the 07's lack of a full fairing will be a deal breaker for people who want the supersport "look." The 07 is more my style of the two, but if I was the type of person who wanted what differentiates the two, the 07's performance advantage wouldn't sway me.

#28 ·
Personally I've always felt they're missing a market segment. There are a lot of people who would be perfectly happy with the power a bike in this class puts out but just don't want the cut-rate suspension they put on it. I've always said that a bike like the SV650 with GSXR-grade suspension components would be the perfect bike for a lot of people, and I stand by that.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.