Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Interesting move by Honda, inline 4 650 starting at $8499 MSRP. If the motor runs decent it will probably stomp the SV and Kawi 650's, perhaps they are looking to steal market share at that price point in the entry market (FZ06/GSXF650).

Budget suspension and a bit heavy but it seems like every manufacturer is pushing low end bikes these days.

2014 CBR650F Overview - Honda Powersports

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
i really like the look of this, but i don't understand why they have it with the 2 500's they also offer. The VFR800 coming to America sounds like a pretty sweet deal - i like the look of this bike too, but the pricing is hard to come by, particularly when the Kawi 1000 offers more power and more features for around the same price.

Suzuki is in trouble if they don't do some major revamp to the SVF650 - that thing is a dog amongst these bikes.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
So heavy...maybe better gas mileage...more than the 09? Not worth it. :) the fz6r has wind protection and it's much less, I would definitely prefer to go that route again.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
I've had a first gen SV 650...TWO Yamaha FZ6'S...and one Honda 599. The 599 is the best of the lot.....but for the price of a new 650F and the weight {ugh}....I'd say the 09 is a better deal.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
I recall seeing this bike at a show. If i'm not mistaken, the gas tank is actually a storage compartment large enough for a helmet.

·
Registered
883 Posts
Although I would probably still have chosen the FZ-09, I was hoping to see the Honda CB650F in the US market.

Didn't happen, making my decision easier than it might have been.

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
don't really grasp the pricing of Honda's line though. Seems like the bike specs are worse than others but pricing is higher. I know they are reliable but i have yet to hear a bad thing about Suzuki or Yammi either.

LED headlights on the other hand is pretty sweet...too bad FZ didn't have this but hard to ask for them at the price point.

·
Registered
883 Posts
don't really grasp the pricing of Honda's line though. Seems like the bike specs are worse than others but pricing is higher. I know they are reliable but i have yet to hear a bad thing about Suzuki or Yammi either.
True indeed. Though last summer, I was riding my second consecutive Honda and was sure my next motorcycle would be yet another Honda with its presumed higher price. Yamaha came along at the right time with the right motorcycle at the right price, giving me what I wanted (upright seating position, naked, retain reasonably light weight, add a bit more power) based on my CBR250R but went lower on weight and higher on power than I ever expected. No regrets!

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Although I would probably still have chosen the FZ-09, I was hoping to see the Honda CB650F in the US market.

Didn't happen, making my decision easier than it might have been.

The CBR650F was in Europe last year before coming here, never know Honda may bring over the naked version if sales of the FZ09 and similar models are good.

Honda has always put together well rounded packages, they might not be the most exciting or put out the most HP but they always do everything well. Hell one of my good friends still has a mint 1992 F2 in his garage and to this day it is still a joy to ride!

·
Registered
883 Posts
The CBR650F was in Europe last year before coming here, never know Honda may bring over the naked version if sales of the FZ09 and similar models are good.
Thanks, that seems reasonable to expect at some point. My daughter has started talking about which motorcycle is next after the Suzuki TU250X. She claims not to be ready for the FZ-09's power (she has become a good rider, but I wouldn't push beyond her comfort level), so something in between the Tux's and the FZ-09's performance may find a spot in the garage in the not so distant future. We like the same seating position ergos, so we're hoping for a growing number of options.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
......don't really grasp the pricing of Honda's line though.
It's because all the Honda 599's are made in Italy. I would guess that the new 650F is also made there ...and because of that it costs a lot more to ship bikes here to the US. Honda pricing killed the 599 here in 2006 and it is a GREAT bike. Only 2000 people bought one in 2006...the last year of the carbed Honda 600 four street bikes.

·
Registered
192 Posts
FZ09 has more power and lower price. Pretty much the "same" otherwise??? Really basic forks and the old style non-radial calipers make it look old. Nice effort Honda, welcome to 2003.

Oh, its a 650 with the weight of a z1000. This is one of those fun years when a manufacturer caught everyone else with their pants down. Who knows? Notice how none of them ever have four new models to compete with each other? As if there is an agreement to compete, but never make a new bike look bad? Hummmmm...if only there was a book... Its Yamaha turn this year.

http://www.amazon.com/Japans-Motorcycle-Wars-Industry-History/dp/0824833287

1 - 20 of 30 Posts