Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to install anti-theft switch, normally, i install it on the ground wire of the fuel pump, anywone can tell me where it is and if its the black wire or have a better solution?

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Not too sure about the wire color, but as an FYI-most motorcycles that are stolen are not ridden away, they are picked up and tossed into the bed of a truck or the back of a van, mine included. Your best bet is to get some nice thick motorcycle specific chains and locks and chain it to something immovable if you haven't done so already. An alarm with with motion and shock sensing capabilities is a good deterrent as well. An ignition disable or fuel pump shut off is a good third line of defense, but I wouldn't feel comfortable relying solely on that...

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
Not too sure about the wire color, but as an FYI-most motorcycles that are stolen are not ridden away, they are picked up and tossed into the bed of a truck or the back of a van, mine included. Your best bet is to get some nice thick motorcycle specific chains and locks and chain it to something immovable if you haven't done so already. An alarm with with motion and shock sensing capabilities is a good deterrent as well. An ignition disable or fuel pump shut off is a good third line of defense, but I wouldn't feel comfortable relying solely on that...
This is exactly what I was going too post but I was too lazy to write it out....:)

Reactions: fz9

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
I've heard the best thieves drive off with them...don't know about the statistics though. A good thief can probably find your switch though. No matter what a heavy chain is good insurance

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
I've had two bikes stolen so I know all too well the horrible feeling to walk out to the bike only to see it's no longer where you left it-one of the worst feelings ever. I'd hate for anyone else to have to go through the same thing if it's avoidable. My last one(an R6)was covered, alarmed, locked and 12 feet from my front door, so clearly an alarm itself is not enough of a deterrent which is why I'm a big advocate of really strong cut resistant chains. If they want it bad enough, they'll probably find a way, but any way to slow them down and make it difficult might make them move on to an easier target...

·
Registered
238 Posts
I used the sidestand switch wiring. I'm not a fan of sidestand switches as, at least on Yamaha's old SRX600, they can cause problems later on with the bike dying without any apparent cause. So I disconnected and removed the switch and used the wiring to install a hidden switch and a blinking LED to remind me that it's been activated. The blinking LED is mounted on the left instrument bracket. You'll need a DPST (double pole, single throw) switch if you want to do the same thing with the LED, and add a fuse between the battery and the switch for the LED, just in case. The switch is open when activated. The bike will start, but when you shift it into gear it will die. The sidestand switch connector is under the tank. you can trace the wire to it easily if you want to go that route.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts