Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did not go to crazy with this. I retained as many factory parts as possibly. I used original license plate light and blinkers. I have a bunch of bike parts all around my garage including some little license plate brackets off past machines, which is basically what I used, with slight modification aka bedding an cutting.

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

·
Registered
699 Posts
Looks better than it did stock!

Any news on any of the other rear fender delete kits working for the FZ-09?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Looks better than it did stock!

Any news on any of the other rear fender delete kits working for the FZ-09?
Thx, and I didn't even look lol. I took one look at the stock tail and you can unbolt it half way down( shown in first pic) and I made a few brackets and done! At zero cost lol

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
would you be able to tuck the plate up even further by securing the plate using the lower holes, so that the plate is directly under the tail light, without the gap? of course you'd have to remove the license plate light but it should be simple enough to find a workable substitute, or even find a way to mount the stock license plate light below the plate.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
would you be able to tuck the plate up even further by securing the plate using the lower holes, so that the plate is directly under the tail light, without the gap? of course you'd have to remove the license plate light but it should be simple enough to find a workable substitute, or even find a way to mount the stock license plate light below the plate.
The little problem with that, that I did not want to deal with the the key whole to remove the seat is right where the base of the apparatus. I didn't feel like messing with it did my little con job in less than 30 minutes was simple and easy :$

·
Registered
8 Posts
I went a step farther and removed the extension metal bracket ( "U.S. Govt required") piece that hangs down and holds the T/signals and Lic/plate.
Just remove the metal bracket and re attach the plastic turn signal/lic plate holder w/o the metal extension to the original holes in the body tail.
Took me about an hour because the plastic "pop rivets" are hidden under the side cowl piece and a bitch to remove.
The original holes line up with a little rat tail mod to enlarge the holes in the rear frame piece.
Hasd to use four new 6 X 30 bolts and eight stainless 6 X 30 fender washers with 6mm lock nuts.
Fits real snug and less wiggle than the std. mount.
I also left off the seat key hole plastic cover because there is not any way to re-mount with out new screw holes.

I don't know how to post a pic yet, but it looks real clean and uses all stock parts.
Just re-located right under the stock tail light and looks just like Yamaha made it that way.

Also added "brush/lever" guards from Cycle Gear @ $19.95. Looks like a super-motard set-up.
Looking for a short Kawasaki Versys shape windsceen now.
Anyone have a source or existing one I could adapt with by making brackets?

·
Registered
611 Posts
Nice work! The tail is my next modification. Not sure what I want to do yet *sigh*

Reactions: nickv09

·
Registered
30 Posts
I went a step farther and removed the extension metal bracket ( "U.S. Govt required") piece that hangs down and holds the T/signals and Lic/plate.
Just remove the metal bracket and re attach the plastic turn signal/lic plate holder w/o the metal extension to the original holes in the body tail.
Took me about an hour because the plastic "pop rivets" are hidden under the side cowl piece and a bitch to remove.
The original holes line up with a little rat tail mod to enlarge the holes in the rear frame piece.
Hasd to use four new 6 X 30 bolts and eight stainless 6 X 30 fender washers with 6mm lock nuts.
Fits real snug and less wiggle than the std. mount.
I also left off the seat key hole plastic cover because there is not any way to re-mount with out new screw holes.

I don't know how to post a pic yet, but it looks real clean and uses all stock parts.
Just re-located right under the stock tail light and looks just like Yamaha made it that way.

Also added "brush/lever" guards from Cycle Gear @ $19.95. Looks like a super-motard set-up.
Looking for a short Kawasaki Versys shape windsceen now.
Anyone have a source or existing one I could adapt with by making brackets?
PLEASE POST A VID OR STEP BY STEP, SOMETHING!!! this stingray tail is killing me everytime i look at the bike. i was trying to figure out why they added the extra 2 feet of metal to extend it out and not make it flush against the tail. the rest of the bike is naked and minimal, it doesnt fit well. thanks in advance for the post/ idea.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I am definitely doing this with some cleaned up LED turn signals until I can afford a tail kit. Thanks for helping my bike get even sexier

Reactions: nickv09

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
I have a ton of aluminum sheeting and plan on fabricating one. If I need to take my cutout to a machine shop to cut the keyhole I will. I will gladly share my template if I ever get a friggin bike.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have a ton of aluminum sheeting and plan on fabricating one. If I need to take my cutout to a machine shop to cut the keyhole I will. I will gladly share my template if I ever get a friggin bike.
come up to va and use mine for your prototype ;) the keyhole is the only thing stopping me from taking a sawzall to mine.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts