Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This promotion runs till 03/30/2016 (for now).

Do you want a complete, suspension package for your bike? There are many fork and shock options of varying quality, but some folks would rather have a commercial product over my in-house offering. This is also an opportunity to save money on a combo package that would be otherwise difficult to match. You can still Do-it-Yourself or you can take advantage of promotional shop rates and winter down time.

The fork internals are from Andreani, and you have your choice of the customary Ohlins shock or 2 popular models from JRi (about). Up-market JRi lineup available on request.

Andreani fork kit

• 2-piston design
  • Adjustable for preload, compression and rebound at the fork cap
  • Springs suited to rider weight and usage profile
  • Compression piston replaced with high-flow unit and custom re-shimmed for usage profile and improved bump compliance
  • Rebound piston re-shimmed to match spring rate and usage profile
  • Proper top-out springs instead of fat o-ring
  • (opt. +$10) Compression needle shortened and re-contoured for much wider adjustment range
  • (opt. +$50) 3-piston setup adds a base valve to the 'R' leg which improves bump compliance even more - please inquire

The bolded items are Forks-by-Matt's improvements on the original.

Forks-by-Matt

• Description
  • Basic (2-piston) simple upgrade
  • Intermediate (4-piston) full performance with adjustable Comp, Preload, and Rebound
  • Advanced (4-piston) with second adjustable fork cap and top-side Comp adjustment option

Ohlins NIX-30

• Description
  • Direct competitor to Andreani but uses superior 30mm pistons
  • Requires separate purchase of springs! ($155 MSRP from Ohlins or use Sonic et. al.)

[HR][/HR]

JRI 350 Pro

• Description
  • Spring and valving matched to rider
  • Ride Height adjuster
  • Combined Comp/Reb needle
  • Compare to Matris MY120.1KD

JRI Double

• Description
  • Spring and valving matched to rider
  • Ride Height adjuster
  • Independent Comp and Rebound adjustment
  • Remote reservoir
  • Preload rings at top and bottom - very convenient

Ohlins YA335 (S46DR1)

Ohlins YA??? (S46HRCL1)

• coming soon to FJ09 but use on FZ with spring change
  • remote reservoir
  • Hydraulic Preload option

Rebuilt OE / ZX6 / ZX10

Nitron NTR1

• Description
  • Spring matched to rider
  • Ride Height adjuster
  • Combined Comp/Reb needle

Nitron NTR2

• Description
  • Spring matched to rider
  • Ride Height adjuster
  • Remote reservoir

Notes:

• 'OE' configuration has no Forks-by-Matt enhancements nor does it include seals or oil.
    Lowest price is achieved via drop-ship from respective suppliers. However, the custom parts and seals will be made available for $115 shipped CONUS.
  • D.I.Y = new oil seals with all standard updates applied to fork kit
  • Full service Installation = forks are completely disassembled and cleaned, all standard upgrades applied, new seals, oil, and springs installed, oil height set, and returned ready to ride.
  • Ride-up installation available by special request and subject to scheduling - add $60
  • Nitron and JRi shocks are built to order and may take 2 weeks

Final prices (cash, USD) include shipping and insurance within CONUS. I can sell the shocks independently of fork service. However the discount will be less. Paypal fees are 3%.

ForkShockOED.I.YInstalled
Andreaninone530 (4/29)700 or 760
JRi 350 Pro112512501400
JRi Double147516001775
Ohlins YA335115512801400
Rebuilt OE/ZXpend
Nitron NTR1 (2)130014251550
Nitron NTR2 (2)167518001900
Matt (Intermediate)JRi 350 Pron/an/a1050
JRi Double1400
Ohlins YA3351050
Rebuilt OE/ZX680-850 (*)
Nitron NTR1 (2)1175
Nitron NTR2 (2)1550
Ohlins NIX-30nonePMn/a1400 (1)
JRi 350 Pro17252000 (1)
JRi Double21002400 (1)
Ohlins YA33517002000 (1)
Nitron NTR2 (2)22002500 (1)
Nitron NTR3 (2)22502550 (1)

(*) approximate
(1) includes Ohlins spring kit. Substitute Sonic for $50 less.
(2) medium gray colored spring add $30

The Andreani and Ohlins NIX-30 kit replace both the internals and fork caps. I return all original parts by default. I am offering a Trade-in credit of $80 for good condition. Offer applies only when purchasing the full service 'Installed' option above and subject to my needs.

·
Registered
870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
End date extended to 3/30/16. Prices updated and added 'Forks-by-Matt' option to pair with shocks.
Nitron shock pricing pending.

·
Registered
870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Added Ohlins NIX-30 to the menu. Now all items are grouped by Fork selection.

A new, fully featured Ohlins shock is coming for the FJ09 but can be used on the FZ via a lighter spring. ETA is March and estimated retail ~$1300.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I finished installing the completely rework suspension Matt put together for me and I'm very happy! He reworked the forks a couple of months ago and I received and installed the JRI shock yesterday. It is a completely different bike now that the suspension is not overloaded.

Thanks Matt for a job well done.

·
Registered
870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Andreani fork kit by itself added. It was available separately all this time but I forgot to highlight that.

$600 shipped in OE condition which I recommend against unless you run a super light oil in the 'C' leg and even then.
$760 shipped with all the upgrades done to it.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I'm REALLY interested in one of the Forks-by-Matt options, but I have so many questions. Hopefully posting them here is the right thing to do. I figured others might be wondering the same things:

1. Am I understanding the basic premise of the 'Forks-by-Matt' option(s)? The gist is I remove my fork assemblies, mail them (in tact), and will get back units completely rebuilt and re-sprung for my weight and riding style that just bolt right back in? I'm DIY enough to R&R the forks, but anything internal to the forks is...intimidating.

2. If I have #1 right, does the price include return shipping? Also, given your experience, do you have suggestions on how and with whom to ship the forks, and perhaps a rough estimate on the cost? Any experience on what works best for packaging?

3. Any chance there is a potential for Matris to be added to this mix, perhaps a 'Forks by Matt' front and a Matris rear? Right now I'm leaning towards the JRi Double. I have zero experience with either brand but I've heard good things with both. Do you have an opinion on one versus the other?

4. I checked out the link to your description of the 'Forks by Matt' option. Does this cost include the adjustable fork cap? If not, what's the going rate for this option to be added? Also, what's the difference between "Yamaha OE (single) or Matt's (pair)"?

Sorry for all the dumb questions, but you could fit what I know about suspension in a tweet. All I know is I'm big, I like track days, and getting suspension done is always a must.

Thanks in advance!

Mike

·
Registered
870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Sorry to have overlooked your post.

1. Am I understanding the basic premise of the 'Forks-by-Matt' option(s)? The gist is I remove my fork assemblies, mail them (in tact), and will get back units completely rebuilt and re-sprung for my weight and riding style that just bolt right back in? I'm DIY enough to R&R the forks, but anything internal to the forks is...intimidating.
Yes. If you want to just send me the guts, (cheaper, smaller box) that works too. I will do all the updates and you just re-install, add oil, and ride. I now have sufficient spare 'guts' that I think an exchange program is doable. Which will dramatically reduce down-time. You'll re-use your fork caps unless you spring for 'Advanced' in which case a new fork cap will be sent your way.

The 'gut swap' option will be about $100-130 cheaper than the previously posted prices.

2. If I have #1 right, does the price include return shipping? Also, given your experience, do you have suggestions on how and with whom to ship the forks, and perhaps a rough estimate on the cost? Any experience on what works best for packaging?
I suggest gun cases. Though I've seen folks use Concrete pedestal form tubes (8" dia) from Home Depot, the triangular boxes from USPS/FedEx and home-made boxes. Staples et. al. have 6x6x42(?) square shipping boxes.

ALWAYS insure your package for full replacement cost which is ~$600. When I return I insure for $1000 so it covers both the word done as well as the originals. UPS/FedEx have more reliable tracking but USPS is about 30-50% cheaper. It generally costs $30-40 to ship a pair of forks.

3. Any chance there is a potential for Matris to be added to this mix, perhaps a 'Forks by Matt' front and a Matris rear? Right now I'm leaning towards the JRi Double. I have zero experience with either brand but I've heard good things with both. Do you have an opinion on one versus the other?
I can accomodate any combination of offerings. See my vendor thread collection which includes shocks from Ohlins, Matris, JRi, Nitron and next week (?) K-tech. The JRI being a domestic is easier to get service. An Ohlins can be worked on in any geographic location but the shock itself doesn't have as many features. It really comes down to price and feature set you want. K-Tech's will also be serviced State-side. The Matris is a very nice unit but not enough of them out in the field to garner more than a couple of opinions.

4. I checked out the link to your description of the 'Forks by Matt' option. Does this cost include the adjustable fork cap? If not, what's the going rate for this option to be added? Also, what's the difference between "Yamaha OE (single) or Matt's (pair)"?
The OE adjustable fork cap is $125-137. Matt's fork caps are TBD since there hasn't been much interest and I would need to have a minimal quantity to do a run. But as indicated the price per pair would be a lot less than just a single OE cap.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Any experience on what works best for packaging?
To protect the components in the package, I've heard of people using an old pair of jeans. One fork in each leg, and the shock where your junk goes!

As far as who to use, I've stopped using all but USPS. They are by far the most flexible about how things are packaged, and have become quite competitive on pricing. They are faster than UPS ground for same state shipments. And the same or maybe slightly slower for across the country, but not my much.

·
Registered
870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Recently I got a package where the forks were wrapped in Hockey socks/leggings. if sending in a single box/gun case, it's not a bad idea to put some high density bubble pack between the legs (in addition to some other protection) and then zip-tie the legs together at both ends. If using an oversized case/box, be SURE to pack the ends with padding so the internals don't shift around and try to punch the ends out.

·
Registered
657 Posts
FedEx will actually wrap/pack your items for you also ... I just brought my forks to them with a little bubble wrap around them, and they packed it the rest of the way and shipped it. Cost was reasonable, and keeps you from having to stress about bulky shipping boxes, gun cases, etc. Items arrived undamaged in both directions.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Just want to thank Matt for all the help in answering my questions when purchasing my Ohlins NIX-30 front cartridges and YA335 rear shock. Price was right and delivery fast. The Golden Dragon is like a whole new creature now she is properly sprung for my weight and has upgraded internals. Brake dive is gone, she feels more planted in the corners, and is more flickable without upsetting the suspension like the stock set up. All in all, I feel more confident than I was riding the pogo stick stock setup.
View attachment 27488 View attachment 27489 View attachment 27490 View attachment 27491

1 - 17 of 17 Posts