Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

121 - 137 of 137 Posts

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
If it had of been leaking for a while, grit would cake up around the leak. Any warranty inspector would know that.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #123
Alright, I come with some great news. After pursuing this for a while and writing to Yamaha HQ, Yamaha has finally seen my side of things and is assuming all responsibility to fix the issue.
Apparently, they are sourcing a 2016 engine to replace the 2013 engine on my bike.

What all should I keep in mind when doing the engine swap apart from break in etc...what about the paperwork? Do I change the VIN in all the documents- registration, insurance etc?

Yamaha seems to have redeemed itself (even if it took months) and I hope this goes smoothly now.

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
Alright, I come with some great news. After pursuing this for a while and writing to Yamaha HQ, Yamaha has finally seen my side of things and is assuming all responsibility to fix the issue.
Apparently, they are sourcing a 2016 engine to replace the 2013 engine on my bike.

What all should I keep in mind when doing the engine swap apart from break in etc...what about the paperwork? Do I change the VIN in all the documents- registration, insurance etc?

Yamaha seems to have redeemed itself (even if it took months) and I hope this goes smoothly now.
I think the VIN is on the frame of the bike....not sure if there is anything on the engine itself. Make sure to put some anti-size on those bolts so this won't happen again.

·
Banned
231 Posts
from my experience yamaha is pretty good when it comes to taking care if their customers
yamaha doesn't send out crate engines so you might be getting a doner out of an existing bike

·
Registered
700 Posts
I am surprised Yamaha have accepted any responsibility for what is obviously a mechanics incompetence. The only thing I can think is a poor design of this particular fixture has made them realise that some fault has to be accepted by them.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #128
from my experience yamaha is pretty good when it comes to taking care if their customers
yamaha doesn't send out crate engines so you might be getting a doner out of an existing bike
THe customer rep said it was rare but they have a new engine. Will find out details soon. And if engines don't have VINs, makes my life easy.

I am surprised Yamaha have accepted any responsibility for what is obviously a mechanics incompetence. The only thing I can think is a poor design of this particular fixture has made them realise that some fault has to be accepted by them.
Well, the mechanic works in a Yamaha authorized service center and then Yamaha techs at Yamaha USA also had gotten involved and given a wrong diagnosis despite having all the evidence with them- not to mention all the stress I had to go through.

·
Registered
700 Posts
I would suggest the wrong diagnosis had a lot to do with them ****ing up and trying to avoid responsibility. Yamaha must realise that this is a possible problem area....a casting should not break like that and for the dealer to say it was caused by the chain is just laughable. Glad you have got it sorted...hope you are not relying on the same idiots to install the new engine, although to give them their due it is not an expected thing to occur no matter how seized a bolt is.

·
Registered
4,731 Posts
If the "Tech" put a power bar and socket on that bolt, any casting would fail.

·
Registered
700 Posts
Yeah that would do it but in reality a bolt should not be sufficient to break a main engine case casting. This is a dumb place to fit a bolt in such a flimsy part of a case and usually this would have some sort of rib or gusset to strengthen it.

Perhaps an oversight on Yamaha's design....wonder if the bolt has been shortened on newer models?...a simple and effective mod or maybe its cheaper aluminium processing...cutting down on silicone content will make castings prone to fracture. The other thing would be weight savings in the form of thinner cases.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Yeah that would do it but in reality a bolt should not be sufficient to break a main engine case casting. This is a dumb place to fit a bolt in such a flimsy part of a case and usually this would have some sort of rib or gusset to strengthen it.

Perhaps an oversight on Yamaha's design....wonder if the bolt has been shortened on newer models?...a simple and effective mod or maybe its cheaper aluminium processing...cutting down on silicone content will make castings prone to fracture. The other thing would be weight savings in the form of thinner cases.

This "exact" problem with me last year (2019)! My chain was slack and popped off sprocket while changing gear at low speed. I was able to get the chain back on and the bike home. The next day I noticed the oil leak and upon investigation, found that same dowel/bolt had been destroyed and a gaping hole in the crankcase. Same exact location. My slack chain was 100% the culprit. But as a novice rider, I had no idea my chain was slack enough to cause such devastation. This is where I find fault in the design/integrity of the front sprocket cover's dowel/bolt.

·
Registered
319 Posts
OT. I just changed chain and sprockets (XSR900/2016) at 21 000 km / 13 000 miles. Original chain was in my opinion done, the sprockets looked almost like new.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #134
This "exact" problem with me last year (2019)! My chain was slack and popped off sprocket while changing gear at low speed. I was able to get the chain back on and the bike home. The next day I noticed the oil leak and upon investigation, found that same dowel/bolt had been destroyed and a gaping hole in the crankcase. Same exact location. My slack chain was 100% the culprit. But as a novice rider, I had no idea my chain was slack enough to cause such devastation. This is where I find fault in the design/integrity of the front sprocket cover's dowel/bolt.
Damn! You're lucky nothing serious happened to you. Are you saying that the dowel was all chewed up by the chain? In my case, the dowel was as smooth as new- the chain was nowhere near it. Always check chain slack- for the chain to come off and destroy that bolt, it must have been really loose When testing my chain after the mechanics broke the crankcase, I had tugged the chain a lot to check its slack and still could not make it touch that part...

·
Registered
4,731 Posts
It's so easy to give the chain a little twitch to check slack that there's really no excuse for it to get so bad.

·
Registered
61 Posts
feel free to check out some stuff called fluid film. Coat whatever you think you should with it. It works well at keeping things from rotting out. I use it on my cars but I dont take the bike out in shit.. I wasnt able to read all posts, but see you are getting a new engine. Im guessing yamaha service installing this for you, they should be able to tell you how your state works with your title and mileage. I'm glad yamaha stepped up here.

·
Registered
2 Posts
No excuse other than being a completely novice rider at the time and ignorant to such a problem and the domino effect it could have.
It was a really slack chain... Enough for it to pop off the sprocket, which is why it had the freedom/length to hit the dowel. Mine def wasn't caused by a "seized" bolt being cranked on too hard.

121 - 137 of 137 Posts