Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anywone ride with the HJC RP10, it seem to be the best compromise for price & noise, i have a Scorpion and too noisy, i came from custom and dont like the feel of a full face but if i have a better full face with reduced noise, my main goal, i will ride more often with a more safe full face helmet but i dont want to invest 800$ for an helmet and i know that with your beast, the review of the helmet was not representative for the posture of the FZ-09, im awaiting for feedback from who hade ride with the HJC RP10 ;-)

·
Super Moderator
5,763 Posts
I have a RPS10 and a RPHS10 and love both of them.

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
I don't have that exact model, but do have a HJC CL-17 and it's hard to beat the price for a SNELL and DOT helmet. I find adding a chin certain help cut down on any wind coming up under the chin, and it's just a $8 add-on.

There are a few RPHA 10's on sale at Revzilla right now and they all get good reviews.

'rpha 10' search results - RevZilla

EDIT - I always wear ear plugs as well, I don't rely on the helmet alone to keep the noise out. Especially on hot days when you want to run with the shield partially open.

Also HJC is great if you want to fit your helmet with different thickness inserts. On my old HJC CL-SP Phoenix Helmet, the cheek pads where a little too loose, so I bought thicker ones and it only cost something like $20 for the set. I was expecting replacement parts to be a lot more and the dealer said HJC is one of the few that sells almost anything for there helmets and the prices are not outrageous .

The old Phoenix, only being replaced because of it's age.
Motorcycle helmet Helmet White Personal protective equipment Clothing

And the new HJC CL-17, which fits the same shields as my old one, which is a bonus.
Motorcycle helmet Helmet Personal protective equipment Clothing Motorcycle accessories

I also find the HJC work great if you wear glasses or sun glasses, there is a slit in the lining which makes putting on glasses a lot easier. The slot also helps stop the arms of your glasses from being crushed into the side of your head.

Reactions: MoFZio

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
I have an RPS10 - not sure if it's the same thing? I love mine but i dont think any build dates would net you more than 2 years worth of use.. Wind noise is not too bad - but i wear plugs. Venting is great and the liner is super comfortable and removal to clean. Communicator fits in well.

The RPHA 10 replaced the RPS10 - the only difference that i know of is the chin vent mechanism to open and close it is different. It's a slide up or down now vs. a push button open or close.

That's what the guy at the stealership told me, but unsure if he left any other details out.

·
Registered
245 Posts
I just bought the RPHA 10 from motorcycle gear.com on closeout for about $180. It's a total steal. I have worn Arai helmets for the past 10 years because they fit me, but I couldn't justify dropping $600 on a new one (previously I found deals, but none now). Anyway, the RPHA is a way better helmet as far as I can tell. It vents better, is quieter, has a shield release mechanism that actually works (WTF is Arai thinking anyway with their stupid system), comes with a pinlock insert, and is very light. The interior is high quality and removable.

·
Super Moderator
5,763 Posts
I loves me some RPHA 10.

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
what makes the Arai lids so much more expensive vs. HJC? I really like my RPS10 as well but i was thinking of getting something a bit better for my next purchase..

Are Arai helmet composites superior or are you paying $300 more over the HJC for the brand name or is there something else i'm missing?

To my knowledge the RPS10/RPHA 10 are carbon composite helmets which are supposed to be top notch (i think anyway) but i'm not really that knowledgeable when it comes to lids...

·
Super Moderator
5,763 Posts
If it's good enough for Jorge, it's good enough for me! Seriously, I like the fit and the air flow and I feel like the quality is at least equal to Arai and Shoei.

·
Registered
127 Posts
HJC is great in terms of light weight, air flow and great graphics.

Protection wise though, Im not as confident with HJC anymore. One of my races, I crashed (another crashing rider's bike took me out) and I blacked out. I was very surprised that happened because speed wasnt that fast. Another racer that day, also wearing a RPHA-10 crashed and he went into a coma for about a week and a half. also had another buddy crash on the street cruising on the highway (lowside) and he blacked out for a bit too, his girlfriend on the back crashed with him wearing a different brand helmet and didnt feel a thing to the head. Im not a helmet guru but i have a list of too many friends with bad experiences with HJC including myself. After talking to a helmet rep at one of my local race events, he was pushing me to try ECE certified helmets out. I did get good reviews from other racers, faster ones too that race professionally and they said their nexx (ECE approved) helmets have always absorbed the impact very well and they love their helmets, especially protection wise. I had Suomy this year give me more attention this year in terms of sponsership, so I'm going to give them a try these year. They are ECE.. and I feel like they would absorb more but only one way to find out :wink:

I also dont believe you need to spend $800 on a helmet.

·
Registered
957 Posts
So far I have owned the following helmets: HJC CL-15, Shark RSR2, Shark RSi, Scorpion EXO-400, Scorpion EXO-500, HJC RPHA-10, and my current lid which is an Arai Defiant. In terms of "evident" build quality (the quality of the liner materials, paint, and moving parts in the visor mechanism), the Sharks were definitely the best of all, including the Arai. The Arai comes close. The HJC RPHA-10 was definitely the best of all the lower end brands (except in paint) but could not match the premiums. My problems with the RPHA-10 were the poor paint which began flaking off weeks after I bought it, the fact that the pin lock insert could not properly seat on the visor no matter what I did, and the aggressive design. The helmet is designed with the idea in mind that you will be in a full race tuck while riding it. It is quiet and glows a lot of air when you tuck down. But when you attempt to sit more upright there is an awful lot of wind noise and airflow suffers drastically. Since the FZ is an upright bike this just would not do. The Arai is very obviously designed for upright riding in mind. I like it a lot.

EDIT: For the record I would avoid an RPS10 at this point. They were replaced by the RPHA10 over 2 years ago which means you're getting really old stock and since track day orgs won't let you use a helmet more than 5 years old..

·
Registered
245 Posts
I can't speak to the paint quality of the RPHA as I've only had it a few weeks, but it looks pretty good to me. What I can speak to is the crap quality of the Arai rubber ring along the bottom of the helmet. Both my helmet and a friend's helmet had these just start falling off. I have whatever replaced the Arai Signet GT and the airflow is OK on both the signet and the one I have currently, but the RPHA flows better and is quieter than my Arai on both the FZ and on my SuperTenere. I had no problem fitting my pinlock. I'd also say that it's hard to compare crashes as someone above did. Who knows what forces one rider experienced that led to a coma and how these forces differed from another rider's impact? Apples to oranges unless it happens in a lab. I imagine a few degrees change in impact, or a few inches, could totally change the outcome on the brain. I believe that the helmet I've worn nearly daily in many different climates over the past 4 years is probably well past it's prime and that the new one is likely better able to protect me. I gave myself a choice: buy a very good $180 helmet now and retire the 4 year old worn helmet, or a soldier on with the old one and get a $600 helmet a year from now.

·
Registered
957 Posts
I can't speak to the paint quality of the RPHA as I've only had it a few weeks, but it looks pretty good to me. What I can speak to is the crap quality of the Arai rubber ring along the bottom of the helmet. Both my helmet and a friend's helmet had these just start falling off. I have whatever replaced the Arai Signet GT and the airflow is OK on both the signet and the one I have currently, but the RPHA flows better and is quieter than my Arai on both the FZ and on my SuperTenere. I had no problem fitting my pinlock. I'd also say that it's hard to compare crashes as someone above did. Who knows what forces one rider experienced that led to a coma and how these forces differed from another rider's impact? Apples to oranges unless it happens in a lab. I imagine a few degrees change in impact, or a few inches, could totally change the outcome on the brain. I believe that the helmet I've worn nearly daily in many different climates over the past 4 years is probably well past it's prime and that the new one is likely better able to protect me. I gave myself a choice: buy a very good $180 helmet now and retire the 4 year old worn helmet, or a soldier on with the old one and get a $600 helmet a year from now.
I haven't had those issues with my Arai. That being said I probably won't buy another Arai. It definitely performs better than the HJC in all measurable respects, but I don't feel it's worth double the price of the HJC. In my opinion the only helmet brands that are actually WORTH the ridiculous prices these premium brands are charging are Shoei and Shark. If you aren't looking at one of those brands then in my opinion a midrange Bell or Scorpion is probably your best bet.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts