Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having experienced the mother of all hills yesterday, it got me thinking. How do you approach hills with this bike? I don't even think about it and just do it, but my approach isn't much different than starting on a flat surface. I still hold in the clutch and the front brake. I don't use the rear brake on a hill unless I'm bored and want to change things up. With my Harley, I felt like I had no choice and had to use the rear brake on hills. What do you do? I just give it more throttle when taking off and just go.

·
Registered
239 Posts
I always use my rear brake on steep hills, never hurts to have the coverage In case of a whoops moment. I'll use the e brake in my car on steep hills also, so many people get right on your ass and I'd rather not take the risk despite having driven standard my whole life.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
With my car, I use the brake and clutch all the time on hills even though the Challenger and Camaro both have "hill assist" which works maybe twenty percent of the time. The main reason I don't use the rear brake on the FZ is that I wear these race boots that aren't confidence inspiring for street traction. They are fine when riding, but it's like wearing ski boots. My motorcycle cruiser style boots have much better soles but don't have the same level of protection as the race boots. So, my compromise is not holding the rear brake on hills.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Having experienced the mother of all hills yesterday, it got me thinking. How do you approach hills with this bike? I don't even think about it and just do it, but my approach isn't much different than starting on a flat surface. I still hold in the clutch and the front brake. I don't use the rear brake on a hill unless I'm bored and want to change things up. With my Harley, I felt like I had no choice and had to use the rear brake on hills. What do you do? I just give it more throttle when taking off and just go.
I have a bit of a slope up to my garage and I always seem to use the rear brake when I fiddle around for the remote. I feel safer not trying to do two things with one hand.

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
Commuting to, and through, SF...I use the rear brake always to hold the bike on the hill. I let go of the brake once I feel the bike moving forward.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Really steep hills, i'll use the back brake, but for the most part, i use 2 fingers on the front brake, and throttle with the other two.

My Subaru's hill-assist works all the time. It holds the brake for about 5 seconds, and then lets go, which should be enough time for all but the newest newbies to get going.

Reactions: BenCOfz09

·
Registered
239 Posts
Hill assists... Pfft it's called e brake and clutch. Humans are going to tech ourselves into extinction by having technology do everything for us. I refused to put a speed shifter on my race bikes, next thing that came along was traction control right before I stopped racing. Who needs to learn how to ride a bike or operate a car? Just let the tech do it lol

·
Registered
673 Posts
I avoid stopping on steep hills.

Reactions: Steve101

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Same as any other bike lol...use the brakes. Front or rear, doesn't matter.

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
I haven't had to start in a steep hill with the 09 as of yet. If it's a really steep hill I'd try the, both feet planted for balance, left hand on clutch of course. Right hand, two fingers on front brake, two fingers for throttle. As soon as you feel the bike move forward and loading the forks a little, off the brake and go.

I'd be curious to see if the old dirt biking trick works on a hasty hill. If the hill wasn't too bad, it was a first gear start. If the hill was really steep, then you start off in second gear. I know it sounds a little weird, but it works.

Really steep in first, the back wheel just spins, or the bike tries to wheelie. Starting in second the back wheel doesn't spin as easy and by lugging the bike a little you crawl right up the hill. Especially worked well if there wasn't great traction to take off.

I know if it's a down hill start, I just leave the bike in second for an easy smooth take off. I'd have to try the old dirt bike trick on a really steep uphill start to see if it works with the 09???

·
Registered
90 Posts
I didn't even know there was anyone out there that didn't use the rear brake. If you ever see my right foot off the brake then I probably screwed up and lost my balance or I've already got the bike leaned in that direction to take a tight right turn off the line. Otherwise I'm always left foot down. I stop and slow with 100% rear unless I need to stop quickly. It's just more stable. Plus if there's no one behind me it let's me stop with no hands so I can text while riding. (Kidding!)

·
Registered
233 Posts
Rear is more comfortable for me on really steep hills. If it is just a hill that I know I'm going to roll backwards just a bit I use the front... With my Subaru the hill assist works perfectly every time... When I had a 350 z I would use the e brakewhen people were on my ass. I definitely agree that everyone should know how to drive a car without all of the electronics... If the subaru was my first manual I would be SCREWED if I got in someone else's car on a steep hill with no hill assist. If someone was right behind me and I had never done it without electronics I probably would roll into the person behind me..

·
Registered
730 Posts
Works in dirt, don't need to on asphalt.....

I haven't had to start in a steep hill with the 09 as of yet. If it's a really steep hill I'd try the, both feet planted for balance, left hand on clutch of course. Right hand, two fingers on front brake, two fingers for throttle. As soon as you feel the bike move forward and loading the forks a little, off the brake and go.

I'd be curious to see if the old dirt biking trick works on a hasty hill. If the hill wasn't too bad, it was a first gear start. If the hill was really steep, then you start off in second gear. I know it sounds a little weird, but it works.

Really steep in first, the back wheel just spins, or the bike tries to wheelie. Starting in second the back wheel doesn't spin as easy and by lugging the bike a little you crawl right up the hill. Especially worked well if there wasn't great traction to take off.

I know if it's a down hill start, I just leave the bike in second for an easy smooth take off. I'd have to try the old dirt bike trick on a really steep uphill start to see if it works with the 09???

·
Registered
730 Posts
Never owned a manual with "hill assist", and I've never felt the need. Don't use the e-brake, either. I just learned how to drive.....

Reactions: Da Braddah

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Unfortunately, manuals will most likely be a thing of the past in the near future-with the exception of a handful of performance cars. People-especially the younger gen-have very little desire or need to 'shift it yerself'...sad really.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Front brake..then I bring the clutch up to friction point for the hold for a split second and away I go. I can honestly say I have never stalled this bike the entire time I've owned it...so much torque. .and such a light clutch.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Unfortunately, manuals will most likely be a thing of the past in the near future-with the exception of a handful of performance cars. People-especially the younger gen-have very little desire or need to 'shift it yerself'...sad really.
It is sad. I remember finding out an old hunting buddy couldn't drive a manual...25 years old and can't drive a manual. We found out when we tried to send him back to camp to get my truck and he was like 'uuhhh, I can't'. Turns out that's why. He was pretty embarrassed about it, and rightly so.

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
A good old manual transmission is one way to stop the kids from wanting to drive your car, lol.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts