Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4,631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Curious. I took my first real ride with 10 miles on bike. I couldn't help but notice the howling sound that's present when I am in 6th gear at 60 mph. I noticed it here and there throughout the range, but steady at 60 in 6th. Is this totally normal for this bike? Couldn't be absolutely sure if it was from the engine, tranny, or just the exhaust note. In twelve other bikes, I never heard it and that includes my Triumph Triple. I was wearing a full face helmet with foam earplugs. What are you other owners hearing while riding???? It's not the tires, since it's not there at 60 until I go to 6th gear.

Thanks.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Curious. I took my first real ride with 10 miles on bike. I couldn't help but notice the howling sound that's present when I am in 6th gear at 60 mph. I noticed it here and there throughout the range, but steady at 60 in 6th. Is this totally normal for this bike? Couldn't be absolutely sure if it was from the engine, tranny, or just the exhaust note. In twelve other bikes, I never heard it and that includes my Triumph Triple. I was wearing a full face helmet with foam earplugs. What are you other owners hearing while riding???? It's not the tires, since it's not there at 60 until I go to 6th gear.

Thanks.
My guess is that you are hearing your chain. My bike came from the factory with about 0.00" of free-play and when I adjust it to the "factory spec" it still howls.

·
Registered
137 Posts
'Normal' in both 3rd and 6th because of tranny gear type, so we've been told. I turn up the volume in my iphone and the noise goes away....

Reactions: Tvsorgatz

·
Registered
4,631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Okay, but why don't I hear it at 60mph until I shift to 6th? The chain would be spinning at the same speed. If yours howls the same before and after adjustment, there most likely is another source and, again, it could be normal on all 09s.

·
Registered
4,631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My last reply was to Nimbus. dblogs explanation makes sense. It would be interesting to know if everyone else gets the same sound.

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
My last reply was to Nimbus. dblogs explanation makes sense. It would be interesting to know if everyone else gets the same sound.
The trans on my bike was very noisy when it was new....its much quieter now, but I still get a "whine" ...I honestly would not worry too much about it...its pretty normal gear noise.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Completely normal for this bike. Mine has gotten quieter as the miles added up (approx. 8200 miles now), but it's still there under the wind noise.

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
Mine has made the same whine in sixth since it was new. After the first couple hundred miles I stopped thinking about it. (Along with the 224 temps in traffic and check engine light coming on after I wash it)
In fact my 09 burps and farts more than any street bike I've ever owned. It's kinda like having a coked up girlfriend but I must admit the little bitch has character!

·
Registered
511 Posts
Mine makes the same noise so I don't shift to 6th until 70 mph. My wife's Gixxer makes a funny noise at 13,500 rpm. Oh wait, that's just me screaming in my helmet.;)

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
Marthy brings up a good point I havn't seen mentioned yet.
A properly adjusted chain is your best friend and the 1/4 to5/8 inch that Yamaha recommends seems to me to be awfully tight.
The tight chain doesn't cause the whine in sixth but I'm more comfortable with about 3/4 or 7/8 inch of slack.

·
Registered
341 Posts
I read about the 6th gear whine months before I got the bike, and sure enough...it was there. My chain sag is fine, so I don't fret about it.

·
Registered
136 Posts
The Gbox was a little tigh compared to my FZ6R at first but got better after a while. Mine was a bit noisy too but that was from the tigh chain... 25mm slack fixed it for me.
Please excuse my ignorance but was this measured with the bike on its side stand(as the owners manual suggests) or sitting straight up? Also, that measurement is from the top of chain travel to the bottom of travel right? Thanks

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
Please excuse my ignorance but was this measured with the bike on its side stand(as the owners manual suggests) or sitting straight up? Also, that measurement is from the top of chain travel to the bottom of travel right? Thanks
Yes on the side stand. Push down then push up, the difference should be within 25mm. I won't go under 20mm but that just me.

·
Registered
311 Posts
It's possible 6th is a spur gear. They tend to whine as opposed to helical gears(if you have a manual car, you'll notice it'll always make a whining noise in reverse, it's because reverse gears in cars are straight cut as opposed to the rest of your gears being helical)

·
Super Moderator
5,752 Posts
60 MPH or so is normally 4th gear for me.....if I'm just out for some cruising, but then again, that only happens when I'm headed to the next set of twisty roads.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'm glad to hear that others have experienced this. Mine does it too unlike any of the other bikes I've had since 1965 or so. It's at about 4,000 RPM in whatever gear. Above and below that speed it is quiet. I've got about 2400 miles on it and have not noticed it getting quieter yet. I'm glad to hear that it will.
Bugslayer

1 - 20 of 21 Posts