Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone else noticed that their bike runs kinda rough when hot? When I'm stuck in traffic and I'm up in the 210's-220's (fans going on and off) the bike stumbles really bad sometimes off idle. I've experienced this with carb bikes before but it kinda surprised me that a modern fuel injected Japanese engine would do this.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
In NYC traffic, I get to those temps pretty fast- but never "stumbled" or anything remote like that.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I live in Melbourne. In morning traffic I get to those temperatures every day. I have noticed the fan starts at 106 C / 223 f. It never runs rough though.

·
Registered
72 Posts
It gets pretty hot in summer in Sydney Australia and my bike gets hot reasonably quickly when in stop start traffic but never any issues. Fan kicks in at 106c/223f. Maybe try a different engine oil grade and see your local dealer for expert advice.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I'm in Thailand and never had any problems in stop-start Bangkok traffic even on days when it's over 90 at 7 am. Bike was regularly getting up to 228-230 with fan on; I say 'was' because I've had the ECU reflashed and fan now comes on at 195, since when engine hasn't got anywhere near those temps.

In the first few months I had the bike I did get occasional bogging and very occasional engine cut outs at odd times for no obvious reasons but that self-resolved.

Does it happen in all three throttle modes and regardless of what fuel you're using? No aftermarket fuel controller fitted?

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Haven't tried different modes, always try to run 91 octane non-ethanol, sometimes have to use E10 gas (120 mile range probs) Bone stock bike with 1200 miles. I've never had it cut out but if you blip the throttle open it just doesn't keep up as well as normal.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Haven't tried different modes, always try to run 91 octane non-ethanol, sometimes have to use E10 gas (120 mile range probs) Bone stock bike with 1200 miles. I've never had it cut out but if you blip the throttle open it just doesn't keep up as well as normal.
The manual says to use 95 octane and up fuels.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I always try to use regular 95 octane but outside the city it's hard to find. I also use E10 95 and 91 gasohol when necessary and never had any problems that I can recall.

Manual for my Cali-spec bike says to use premium unleaded with a pump octane rating of 91 or higher but adds that it's okay to use E10 gasohol.

Maybe try with regular 95 and see if it makes a difference? Or if you can't get 95 get some octane booster and try that?

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
The manual says to use 95 octane and up fuels.
the u.s. manual says 91. different octane ratings. you're in australia, you guys use research octane number (ron). in the u.s., we use pump octane numbers (also called anti knock index), which is the average of motor octane number and research octane number. mon is always lower than ron, so the pump octane number will also be lower than ron.

95 ron is pretty much the same as 91 pon/aki.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Unfortunately where I live the only places that sell Non-ethanol gas ARE the smaller, older stations, only way they stay in business. There's a couple QT's in town that sell non-ethanol, but only in 87 octane. I dunno, I'll keep an eye on it, if it gets worse I'll talk to the dealer

·
Registered
50 Posts
Ya. You are correct about ron. The sticker that came on top of the tanks said something like "use premium fuel with minimum 95 ron"

·
Registered
962 Posts
Ethanol is usually going to mean less power and lower mpg, but if it doesn't stumble... I normally use 91, but I haven't ever noticed anything when I've used 87.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts