Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Vendor
2,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I do a good amount of sport touring / long rides & I enjoy listening to music while I'm on two wheels (sometimes one).

Problem: My iPhone keeps a pretty decent charge, but when I use the GoogleMaps app (in addition to streaming BT music to my Sena) the battery life is mehhh.

Solution: I always install a USB charger to all my motos... So I had to add one to the niner!

I always like to keep accessories as hidden/factory-esque as possible so I was looking for a good location to mount the charger.
It didn't take me long to find this spot:

I did some rough mock-ups to see if the charger would fit without any clearance issues - and what do you know?... IT DOES! :D

After marking the position of the charger, I pulled the front plastic section off the bike (4 plastic clips).
I heated up a thin screw driver and "melted" my way through the plastic; This was easier to do than grabbing my drill and making a pilot hole).

Mounted that sucker on!

Putting that OEM aux outlet to use!

Test run before final installation:
Key in "OFF "position - no light = good!

Key in "ON" position - light = Great!
http://i.imgur.com/vUBxGaD.jpg

And re-installed the plastic cover... looks damn good, if I do say so myself!

And decided to re-position the RAM X-Grip.

:)

EDIT: USB was purchased from an SvRider.com member.
You can contact Shelly directly at : [email protected] - Tell her "Yev" sent you.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Very nice install, i may have to borrow it from you!

Where did you get the AUX usb plug?

·
Registered
554 Posts
I think it looks great. I plan to do something similar and I want to run a heated vest too. Thank for showing us this.

Daniel

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
That is a TAPP USB connector from 3BRMotorsports.com. I use one also, but I use outdoor double sided mounting tape without the U cover which works out well. Good job. I am using the AUX to power my tank bag with USB, but the TAPP I primarily use for GPS. My Sena never loses its charge in a full day, but My phone and Shuffle can.

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
Motorcycle MT .090 - Connector and Terminals

2 pin MT .090 - 2.3mm Male and Female locking connector

Comes with Terminals and seals

Waterproof Connector Housing with Inner Seal, and Wire Seals

Terminals Fit wire size .6 - 1.3 mm (16-22 AWG) has 2 Bottom Ribs

Connector Set Male and Female - Set MT090-2B $5.05 each

Female half only
Female MT090-2B
$1.99 each

·
Registered
25 Posts
Cool! thats a great spot for it, hopefully my 12v lighter socket fits there too. I have booster cables that use the socket.

·
Registered
114 Posts

Female half only
Female MT090-2B
$1.99 each
Thank you kind sir

·
Registered
389 Posts

Female half only
Female MT090-2B
$1.99 each
Do you need to get both male and female ends?

·
Registered
68 Posts
That is a TAPP USB connector from 3BRMotorsports.com. I use one also, but I use outdoor double sided mounting tape without the U cover which works out well. Good job. I am using the AUX to power my tank bag with USB, but the TAPP I primarily use for GPS. My Sena never loses its charge in a full day, but My phone and Shuffle can.
DNFDOUG - does this mean that you have two charging outlets on the bike?

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
DNFDOUG - does this mean that you have two charging outlets on the bike?
Technically, I have three. I have a SAE on the auxiliary port tucked under the right side of the tank behind the fake snorkel, which I can plug into my tankbag that has a USB port inside. I have a Tapp USB connector wired to a FUZEBLOCK on a switched port up by the steering stem, and I have a SAE connector for a battery tender that is unswitched on the FUZEBLOCK. I have various USB and Cigarette plug adapters to SAE.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I was trying to find a spot to mount the usb port on the control area. That way, my steering wouldn't move the charging cable around when it's connected to my RAM mounted phone. I got my usb charge port mounted but brilliant little me doesn't know how to read easy DIY instructions. So I have to place an order for terminal connectors and once I receive that, I can test the usb port to see if it actually works.

One of other benefit of mounting it here is that the usb port sits on the metal cable management brace that's already welded onto the bike. So when closing the cap on the usb port, there is very little stress on the zip ties.

Hopefully I won't have trouble accessing the port when I get my windscreen mounted.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts