Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The other day I was buying a new helmet and the MT-09 (Europe's version of the FZ-09) caught my eye hard to the point I want to test ride it - first time this has ever happened.

Are there any hidden maintenance costs (valve adjustments every 10k kilometers, new timing belts every 20k km or 2 years) that would give my wallet a shock like my Ducati Monster did?

Thanks

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
No worry... Yamaha are pretty good about it. No belt and if I'm correct 24K miles is the first valve adjustment. Oil every 4K miles and good chain/sprocket maintenance is all you need to worry about.

·
Premium Member
353 Posts
You'll probably tear through rear tires pretty quickly, but that's about it. Way easier on maintenance than the Monster is, like Marthy said the first valve adjustment is at 24k miles, or 40k Kilometers

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
It really comes down to accent preference...Japanese or Italian. It's always surprised me that the italians make such epic vehicles of beauty, handling, and speed; i still picture them standing outside of a pizzaria tossing dough.

Seriously though, i read through the manual and was able to figure out how to do the first maintenance myself.

·
Registered
586 Posts
You will want to buy a decent rear shock, that will set you back a bit

1 - 7 of 7 Posts