Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Where are all of you mounting your HID ballast? i just installed my retrofit source kit last night and having a difficult time find a place for the ballast and control box. ending up just zip tying the ballast to the lower triple clamp and control box to the right fork for now but dont wanna keep either in those spots. Might end up extending all the wires and tucking them in nicely under the seats

·
Registered
9 Posts
I put my ballast behind the plastic with 2clips on top of gas tank... remove the 2 clips from top, & the 2 on inside (will have to turn bars to access). The controller was hidden behind the clutch side fake sir scoop, all wires hidden well & out of sight.

Oh yeah, velcro (industrial strength from home depot) works great for sticking the parts where they need to be.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I have a DDM 55W 6000k HID kit and love it since the stock low beam really stunk.. Since the DDM kits are semi-universal and come with somewhat long wiring I was able to do an extremely clean install with only having to buy a bulb to ballast extender, went longer at 3' to be safe. I have my ballast mounted and installed in the tray under the seat, directly behind the tank mounts as there's a near perfect chunk of room for a ballast. Wire routing is clean too, along the factory loom up to the left of the airbox and engine, out the front, and to the bulb. Let me know if you'd like some photos and I'll snap a few and post.

·
Registered
357 Posts
I did the same but I soldered on extensions and wired direct to the battery with a switch. Halo, angel eye and leds come on with running lights, so if I forget to turn the lights on I'm still visible.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I didn't want to mount a ballast so I bought a cree led light, bright and no ballast to mount... My only complaint is the highbeam flash button doesn't work anymore .... Have to use the high low switch

·
Registered
357 Posts
I plan on switching to led, hid seems like it's using too much power from the bike,that's why I wired it directly to the battery. frying the system would suck.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts