Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With all the saying s , start seeing motorcycles . How many riders use hi vis gear? I do and was one of the first in the area. My neon green jacket, , comments like you can see it fo a mile. Yup that's the point . See me I dont care if I look like a alien. :nike:

·
Registered
883 Posts
Hi-viz helmets and jackets are standard for me, but it hasn't always been that way. The black helmets and gear are gone except for a Scorpion Hat Trick black jacket which I don't wear often any more. But when I do wear it, a military spec hi-viz vest goes on as well. Comments and wise cracks like "alien" and "tennis ball head" are like water off a duck's back.

·
Registered
570 Posts
I know I should wear hi-viz stuff, but I just can't bring myself to do it. I do wear bright red stuff (matches my red Hawk GT)...I am sadly vain enough that I want the bike and meself to blend together.

·
Registered
612 Posts
I'm in the process of getting my motorbike license and getting gear, I plan to get a hi-vis helmet and a jacket with at least partial hi-vis strips. The helmet I plan to get is actually nice looking IMO: image.jpg

I would rather be day glow and alive than all blacked out and dead.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I use a vest around my gear bag. I've noticed if you use hand signals and/or foot point it gets peoples attention. Not sure if anyone remembers the old bicycle hand signals or what they mean but they slow down behind me probably thinking, "WTF is he doing, twerking"?

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Since I'm going with a black/orange theme, I'll be partially high-vis. Icon makes a cool backpack that I'm looking at, it meets the mil-spec regulations, has cool ID holders (which I don't need anymore) and such. Looks like it'll fit up to a 15" laptop based on what I saw in the store, kinda smallish-though. But great for short trips to store, or commutes. It also comes in yellow.

Icon Squad 3 $100

·
Registered
142 Posts
I wear a Hi-vis jacket and helmet, as well. Occasionally, I'll add hi-viz gloves to the mix but they are not as protective as I'd like. All-in-all, the colors don't exactly match but I really don't care what other people think. My goal is to be as visible as I can be and, maybe, the color difference is what seems to works so well. Probably, gives the viewer a headache though!

photo.jpg

Shoei Neotec Modular Helmet - RevZilla

neotecBryel_detail.jpg

Icon Contra Mil-Spec Jacket - RevZilla

ContraJacketMilSpecFront_detail.jpg

Scorpion Cool Hand II Gloves - RevZilla

scorpion_cool_hand_ii_gloves_detail.jpg

If I choose to wear a different, heavier jacket, I will wear this hi-viz vest over the top of it.

Olympia Nova 2 HiViz Safety Vest - RevZilla

MV210Z_neon_yellow-black_detail.jpg

·
Registered
883 Posts
I wear a Hi-vis jacket and helmet, as well. Occasionally, I'll add hi-viz gloves to the mix but they are not as protective as I'd like. All-in-all, the colors don't exactly match but I really don't care what other people think. My goal is to be as visible as I can be and, maybe, the color difference is what seems to works so well. Probably, gives the viewer a headache though!
Thanks for the great post. Looks like some awesome choices to me!

·
Vendor
3,297 Posts
Since I'm going with a black/orange theme, I'll be partially high-vis. Icon makes a cool backpack that I'm looking at, it meets the mil-spec regulations, has cool ID holders (which I don't need anymore) and such. Looks like it'll fit up to a 15" laptop based on what I saw in the store, kinda smallish-though. But great for short trips to store, or commutes. It also comes in yellow.
Several years ago, I heard something that has stuck with me: Construction cones are orange and road workers wear hi-viz. Which would you rather be? Having seem more than my fair share of road cones get hit by traffic, I'll take the hi-viz. Anecdotal or not, the human eye is more sensitive to the yellow/green portion of the color spectrum. Unless you're color blind.

I dig the Hi-viz...fashion be damned!

·
Registered
663 Posts
Wow. I'm impressed with the amount of wisdom that is circling about the forum. Vanity usually gets the best of people, but not here it seems. I bought a new helmet today (for the snowmobile) and it's flat black carbon fiber. It looks bad ass, but I'm riding in the woods with out other things to hit me. I will be going day-glo when outfitting for two wheels.

I spent twenty-six years in law enforcement, and only the last few of my career were we issued "high-vis" reflective vests to wear on traffic accidents. Way more cops are killed by being run over than any other method. We used to stand in the street wearing all black at night. Gee....wonder why nobody saw us.

I'm happy to say, in Alaska you see bunches of "watch for motorcycle" stickers on cars. At least there seems to be a fair amount of awareness up here.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Fashion doesn't visit the ER... Hiviz gives you more option!
Therefore I got my SHOEI hivis plus the Roadcrafter Lightweight and SIDI with extra reflectors... real sexy bag let me tell you -grin
297_g-h_3.jpg

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Wow. I'm impressed with the amount of wisdom that is circling about the forum. Vanity usually gets the best of people, but not here it seems. I bought a new helmet today (for the snowmobile) and it's flat black carbon fiber. It looks bad ass, but I'm riding in the woods with out other things to hit me. I will be going day-glo when outfitting for two wheels.

I spent twenty-six years in law enforcement, and only the last few of my career were we issued "high-vis" reflective vests to wear on traffic accidents. Way more cops are killed by being run over than any other method. We used to stand in the street wearing all black at night. Gee....wonder why nobody saw us.

I'm happy to say, in Alaska you see bunches of "watch for motorcycle" stickers on cars. At least there seems to be a fair amount of awareness up here.
I use a hi vis orange vest on the sled , can be fun as they think warden he he . They sure do slow down

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
I haven't taken the plunge into hi-vis yet. Still wearing my 1980's black biker jacket and black helmet. I wouldn't say it's vanity... it's just what I've worn from the start, a heavy leather jacket and a good matching brain bucket. I'll be needing a new jacket some day, so I may go with a brighter color when I do, but probably to match the bike, lol! I always keep my head on a swivel, I don't trust drivers I don't make eye contact with and always watch my mirrors when stopped at a light.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Tis the season, time to bring this up againg , it may save your butt , take stand and say , im on a bike see me coming .
Make yourself visible. Some may comment on neon gear , untill you say your on a bike, then its man great idea, I cant see them

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
I am a recent convert to Hi viz gear. Admittedly, I was reluctant to make the switch. But i feel vulnerable anytime I ride without it now. I plan to get a dedicated hi viz jacket in the future.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Hi-viz nerd here.... although my safety-orange colored jacket has sun faded to a gold-ish color, so I'm not sure it's doing much anymore to attract attention.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts