Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Heya guys, I'm Jemma and I'm from Brisbane, Australia. I picked up my MT09/FZ09 fairly recently and it's my first ever naked bike so it's taken a bit to get used too and initially we had a touch and go relationship while I adjusted too it. It's so weird not being tucked in over the tank! Before the MT I had a Fireblade and I still have a little VFR400 but I needed something more suited to commuting and I heard the MT was pretty fun to ride so I made the jump and now I love it. :)

Only little mods done so far... rear pegs removed, tank sticker ferociously peeled off, rad guard and pick up spools. The next round of mods will be exhaust system, rear light because I'm not fond of the weird stock light and suspension being properly set up for me.

http://s2.postimg.cc/80qvo05pl/10351518_10204082820572951_7525059240281309283_n.jpg
print screen

·
Registered
616 Posts
Welcome! You've found a great group of people that share your interest; a wonderful information pool to tap into. Enjoy learning your new bike.

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
Welcome from Sydney, Jemma.
I've had a Vfr 400 before for a year or so, back in 2001. Since the mt has a speed limiter, the vfr4 and the mt have a similar top speed, believe it or not.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Welcome from Perth, Great group of people on here and always helpful.

·
Super Moderator
5,751 Posts
Welcome to the forum Sheepy....and congrats on the new FZ.....quite the bike for sure.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Welcome!

... from Melb (hayfever capital!). Orange MT like yours.

Just finished my fender eliminator mod today, retained the "girder-thingy", but ditched (replaced) the rest of the cluster. Will post pics later.

Carbon Akra, PCV, Ohlins & set of frame & fork sliders/swing-arm spool on the way from US.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the welcome guys! It's awesome to know that I'm not the only Aussie lurking around. :D I'd be keen to see pictures of your mods when they're done, Whitenite. I've thought about a fender eliminator but I got done for it on my Blade and it cost me a point on my licence, obviously because it's highly dangerous. :p Did you keep the reflector on it?

·
Registered
511 Posts
Welcome. Seems there is a lot of guys from down under. Didn't know bikes were so big there. Do you ride on the wrong ( right ) side of the road? Does it rain a lot? What kind of wildlife do you have to dodge? Is there helmet laws? I know it's a lot of questions but I've never been there and I'm curious. There is a member from Russia and his posts are very interesting. Great picture! Keep 'em comin'.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
We drive on the right side of the road... it's everyone else who drives on the wrong side. :p Rain is seasonal ... mainly summer but where I live there's more sunshine than rain, winter exists for a couple of months and even then it's barely more than a one jumper sort of deal unlike you guys who get snow and ice. :O

I live inland a bit and my main fear is hitting a really big Kangaroo... there's a massive dead one as big as my bike at the end of the road which I'll try and get a picture of before it goes rotten. I've hit wallabies before and that was enough to scare me but hitting a giant roo at speed would obliterate a bike. We have helmet laws... only helmets given the okay by the Aussie standards board are legal, we aren't supposed to wear imported helmets from the states and Europe so the bike stores sorta have a monopoly on them.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Here you go, coupla "economy" mods which remain fully compliant with traffic regs:

10676602_10152582638517936_954844476_o_zps2677071c.jpg Photo by Jeffrey_Yeoh | Photobucket

10621660_10152582638447936_1546408373_o_zps2153d7a3.jpg Photo by Jeffrey_Yeoh | Photobucket

10642946_10152582640717936_1742154413_o_zps4c1f0a2b.jpg Photo by Jeffrey_Yeoh | Photobucket

All parts sourced from ebay, the indicators cost $12 (they're ornery bulbs, not LEDs, wanted to maintain Fr (stock)/Rr "match"), tail-light $16, while the fender eliminator bracket (came off previous ride SV1000) - I'd been trying to get rid of it for $10 but no interest, glad I kept it!

Front - foldable-adjustable levers are $51, mirrors $25. $10 ebay bar-end on the way. Explanation: I ... ahem, "filter" thru traffic a fair bit (!), the stock bar-ends were too wide, same for the mirrors. Liked the aftermarket ones which came on my SV650, hunted them down, Taiwan made stuff, excellent visibility, plus quite a bit lighter than stock MT-09, work great.

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
I lane filter too, whitenite, but it's legal now in NSW.
Get yourself some mirror busters I mean barkbusters. I don't think there'd be anything worse than clipping a mirror with your brake lever.

And I like the number plate bracket- I've got the same idea in my head, and a cheap number plate bracket from MCAS in my garage ready for when I get some time.

·
Super Moderator
4,374 Posts
... only helmets given the okay by the Aussie standards board are legal, we aren't supposed to wear imported helmets from the states and Europe so the bike stores sorta have a monopoly on them.
Do Mat Mladin owned moto-businesses have a large presence in Australia? I read at one time that he had agreements with several large manufacturers, but know nothing of his retail efforts. Many, many Mladin fans among my circle of friends. Of course that goes for Doohan, Bayliss, Corser, Gardiner and Gobert. Sounds like a lawfirm made up of bad boys doesn't it? I'm also a huge Cam Donald fan, as well.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts