Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi YamahaFZ09 members, my name is Jeff, from Australia, and am proud to be the owner of an MT-09/FZ-09.

Have been lurking the forum for many months now.......I am a moderator on the kawasakininja300.com site being the reason I have lurked for so long without signing up, I have put quite a large amount of time into that site in the past year and a half (which takes up quite a bit of my spare time let me tell you!)........but am becoming less active these days on that forum due to not owning the bike anymore and have decided to start making some contributions and suggestions here. Hence my registration a fortnight ago. This forum was the main reason I decided to take the plunge with the bike. Hearing about all the easy fixes to fix certain issues, great mods to do easily at home, and of course having a great supporting vendor in Nick from Stoltec Moto is absolutely fantastic. Not to mention all the other supporting vendors too, big shoutout to all of you as you make these forums a better place to be. Marthy......killer exhausts mate. ;)

Very proud to call this forum my new home, I researched all the different various FZ-09/MT-09 forums before very quickly realising that this was the only place I needed to be. Everyone here seems very friendly, very knowledgable and you all have some of the nicest looking 09's going around. I hope I can help with making the forum a larger community, and will post any handy tips/info/new parts that I manage to come across on my daily web searches. Really looking forward to being part of this forum for many years to come.

I own an MT-09 in Race Blu (with normal coloured forks!! :p) and have already purchased a few little goodies for the bike which I will post up in the appropriate threads as time progresses and I actually get around to installing them!

So far I have first and foremost a Penske 8900E rear shock coming from Nick, and some heavier springs/oil for the front. I am simply a glorified commuter with no race track experience nor ever plan on doing any track days, so I think simply the standard upgrade rear shock will be suffice and far exceed my expectations. Of course the ECU flash is top of my to do list, but will have to wait for a good turndown period where I wont be riding due to the distances and times involved in the shipping to and from the states. Will be well worth the wait though that's for sure. That's of course if our Aussie ECU's are able to be flashed, am yet to get into that area to be able to pass on the serial to Nick to see if it can even be done. Hope so!!!

I also have purchased the below other farkles and protective bits for my ride:

• Infinite Performance Radiator Guard
  • Tankslapper full 3M protective kit (had one of these on my Ninja 300, and are fantastic bits of kit)
  • Various Valter Moto farkles.....fork preload adjusters......aluminium sliders for fork, swingarm and frame (in blue of course!!)......centre stem locking nut......oil cap......bar ends......and a few more that I plan to get as time progresses
  • MT-09 tankpad and tank side pads that I purchased via ebay. Hadn't ever seen these style of tank protector available for the MT-09, so thought I would pick em up and see how they look. From Europe I believe.

So really looking forward to being part of the forum and thanks for reading all!!!

A few pics of some of the items on the way:

Frame Sliders

Fork & Swingarm Sliders

Bar Ends

Preload Adjusters, Oil Cap & Stem Locking Nut (Not sure what the other item is!!)

Tank Pads

·
Registered
235 Posts
congrats on the new FZ and choosing to join the REAL FZ/MT forum..

Reactions: Poogamer69

·
Registered
42 Posts
welcome & good looking bike lets see more pic's I like to see what out side the states are doing & what parts you guy's can get

·
Registered
244 Posts
Your 9er must be an Xmast present... where down under are you located (spend time in Bendigo and Perth)?
Must be nice and toasty at your place ~mid 38C, better than drowning in snow and -10C :)

Looking forward in seeing your built pictures, and congrats in Nick's Suspension. Remember we want a detail review... before and after plus details on your preload & damping (compression and rebound) settings for street -commuter use. Thanks and welcome -smile

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Located in Perth, about an hour south in a place by the name of Rockingham. Just realised I havent updated my locale info, will do now.

Cant wait to get the suspension from Nick, the bike is currently sitting at my bro's house whilst I finish up a few loose ends, but will be picking it back up in the next couple weeks and will be adding some pics to the fray. Will definitely post up what settings I am using. For info I got a 600lb rear and 0.90kg/mm front. No gold forks here either!! But you are lucky over that way with the black frames......gorgeous. Not a fan of the bare aluminium. Or aluminum lol. Powdercoat on the cards one day......but a big job getting it out for that. Probably never lol.

Yeah today it is 32C, very nice day out. Bugger all that white stuff you guys are experiencing over that way at the moment.....never even seen or touched it myself in my lifetime!!!

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
Awesome, welcome aboard. I think that I am the only other person that swears by Tankslappers on here. I made my own stencils before they had them available. I have used them for years. Let me know if I can help you with anything.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Thanks Doug. Your posts have actually been very informative, and have very much enjoyed reading them. You sound very knowledgeable in your info and I follow your suggestions precisely.

Tankslappers are fantastic. Funny name.....not what you would expect.....but have used them on all my bikes in the past with awesome results. And they are pretty much invisible to the eye. Do you have a set on your 09? I just went the full kit this time instead of certain pieces. Going to put them on this weekend, let it set in and dry completely, and then put the tank pads over the top just for a bit of added effect if anything else really. Takes away the need for the tankpads at all in any case, but I do like the look of these pads hence my purchase. Sort of adds to the "industrial" style look I think the bike has, and loved the Dark Side logo that was incorporated. If I ever peel the pads off, the tankslapper will no doubt come off with it, but another can always be ordered given the great price.

For those doubting the Tankslapper kits, I recently took mine off my Ninja 300 before trading it in. I had side tank pieces and the main front tank piece. The dealer actually commented on how well kept I had managed to keep the paintwork, and was partly reason for getting a few extra hundred dollars on my trade in price. The bike was gloss black, which we all know how well they show any sort of blemish, and looked brand new when I took the tankslapper pieces off. After a year and a half of riding every single day, it looked as if I had just purchased the bike. Worth their weight in gold I say, well worth the 50 dollar price tag in any case.

Definitely going with your advice on the Motoman break in, am yet to run the bike in.....simply had it delivered to my house!!! So not a few km on the beast as of yet, well maybe a few more I didnt really check.....just a quick spin around the block (didnt take it easy in any case, just ran through the gears and gave it some good stick to get the engine working itself) to confirm my initial thoughts about the suspension. And then immediately placed an order with Nick lol. Would love to hear your specifics on how you went about doing your break in Doug, I have the info from the website saved at home, but love to hear if you may have adapted the process at all.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have also purchased the stand extension piece from Yamaha, that increases the footprint. Wondering if anyone has bought or installed one of these on their bike as of yet and if they have a pic they would like to share of it installed on the bike and in use?

Or if I am the first to do so I will post these pics up when i get it installed!!!!

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks Eva!

Gonna take some pics in the next couple weeks as I finally get the time to get over to my bro's house and install some of the goodies I have that are to go on. Unfortunately my shed is tiny and I have absolutely no room to do anything, where as his is the size of my house lol.

Will be posting up some pics for sure, especially before and afters of the ValterMoto stuff for comparison. So glad my bike came without gold forks too, was gonna be the first thing I changed and when the salesman told me that it was only the Blazing Orange over here in Oz that had them.......I fistbumped that bloke in the shop I was so stoked!!!

·
Super Moderator
5,734 Posts
Welcome Poogamer to the forum and congrats on the new FZ09. I have to agree, there is a LOT of good info on this forum and a very good group of folks on here too. Enjoy the new bike....sound like y'all have got some great temperatures going on over there.

Reactions: Poogamer69
1 - 13 of 13 Posts