Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As the title says my hi-beam sucks. When I flip from lo to hi I get a better spread of light on the sides of the road but loose most of the forward projection.

I was wondering if everyone else feels the same way or if maybe there is something wrong with my bike(Headlight bulb upside down or something).

Also has anyone wired the light so that both the Hi and Lo beams are on when you flip to high?

·
Registered
730 Posts
Mine was the same, until I adjusted it..... silver 10mm bolt on the back left side. Has a toothed washer under it. CWlowers it. Try a turn at a time.

Reactions: River

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
I think it's the way the reflector is designed. If you adjust the high beam to the point it's actually useful, and not aiming into the trees, then the low beam doesn't project out far enough to be much help on dark roads. For me it was about adjusting to the point where there was a compromise on both, but better than the stock adjustment. Curious to see if the LED 'bulb' helps with the light dispersion--maybe Beck can post back after the install. Thanks Beck...:wave:

·
Registered
654 Posts
same complaint, haven't played with the adjuster yet. Longterm was planning to do an HID conversion.

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
I think it's the way the reflector is designed. If you adjust the high beam to the point it's actually useful, and not aiming into the trees, then the low beam doesn't project out far enough to be much help on dark roads. For me it was about adjusting to the point where there was a compromise on both, but better than the stock adjustment. Curious to see if the LED 'bulb' helps with the light dispersion--maybe Beck can post back after the install. Thanks Beck...:wave:
Just got it yesterday - Tripage already posted some light output photos in the link below but i'll test outside to see light output and take some photos with my DSLR so you guys can see the light output. It's 3F degrees here today so i'm going to wait for the balmy 20F weather to come back before freezing my ass off installing the damn thing.

http://www.fz09.org/forum/56-tripageled/6307-led-headlight-group-buy.html

·
Registered
2,567 Posts
Aim the headlight first. I don't think it's aimed at all from the factory, and doubt it gets done by the dealer.
After I set mine, it was fine. Not the best I've ever had on a bike, but far from being the worst.

·
Registered
883 Posts
Agree with Beck, the TripageLED headlight bulb is effective and inexpensive.

Two pictures of the LED headlight follow; the first with low beam and second with high beam...

Installed less than a week ago.

·
Registered
62 Posts
As the title says my hi-beam sucks. When I flip from lo to hi I get a better spread of light on the sides of the road but loose most of the forward projection.

I was wondering if everyone else feels the same way or if maybe there is something wrong with my bike(Headlight bulb upside down or something).

Also has anyone wired the light so that both the Hi and Lo beams are on when you flip to high?
Bad idea, the electric consumption will be too high and also the temperature in the headlight wich is made of plastic.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I always noticed that from day 1 I ever turned on the high beam, it spreads to the side and my vision ahead is not as good as if it's on low beam only, what was the fix for that?

·
Registered
166 Posts
When you pull that passing light trigger on your left index, both are on. Just hold that joker down until you get out the rough... But F all that, my OPT7 HID came in the mail yesterday and I will be switching sometime this week.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I tried to avoid HID fix cause of some saying it would mess the housing it, I actually know a friend had HID installed in his Mercedes fog pigs and it melted the housing where the bulb sit. That's my main concern and the dealer where I buy my mods and bike needs from "official ha aha dealer" he advised to out a PIAA bulb which is a bit brighter than stock, which I did. Any body over here had the HID installed for a while can chime in and give me some feedback.

Thanks

·
Registered
77 Posts
I would say my High Beam sucks, but the low Beam went out with 200 miles on the bike.

·
Registered
208 Posts
completely agree with you - i just bought this but haven't received yet - seems like a cheap and easy fix with a great result - check out the thread below

http://www.fz09.org/forum/56-tripageled/6110-led-headlight-discount-available.html
I ordered this light. Looks easy to install and costs $48 plus shipping. I'll get it next week and post something to say how it goes. I scared myself when I switched to high beam in an area with lots of potholes to get better visibility and the road went almost completely dark instead! What a surprise

·
Registered
730 Posts
Put an LED bulb in it'll do exactly the same..... ADJUST THE HEADLIGHT AIM!!!!!
Way too many kids today think replacing a part will fix it, when all it needs some good old fashioned THINKING.....
[\old geezer]
I ordered this light. Looks easy to install and costs $48 plus shipping. I'll get it next week and post something to say how it goes. I scared myself when I switched to high beam in an area with lots of potholes to get better visibility and the road went almost completely dark instead! What a surprise

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
as others have mentioned, adjust your headlight aim. and understand that high beams are for distance lighting, not nearfield illumination (h4 headlights necessarily have different low beam and high beam patterns). if you know you're an area with a lot of potholes, slow down. no amount of light will allow you to ride at the same speed as you can during the day and still see obstacles in time to react to them. your eyes function differently at night.

also, turn down the brightness of the instrument panel. i turn mine down to minimum at night. having a bright display wrecks your night vision.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts