Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. I live and work in NY but have a house in central PA where I spend close to half the year. I started riding this summer and have always loved Harleys, until I bought a Harley and discovered that I don't love riding big, heavy bikes. My Suzuki S40 was my second bike, and I'm looking to get something a little higher quality. At the dealer, the FZ was the bike I kept coming back to. I am here to find out if this would be an appropriate bike for a newish female rider looking for a bike with an upright riding position.

·
Vendor
2,394 Posts
It would be hard for me to recommend this as a first bike, even if ridden exclusively in "B" mode.
But it all depends on your comfort and throttle hand control.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It would be hard for me to recommend this as a first bike, even if ridden exclusively in "B" mode.
But it all depends on your comfort and throttle hand control.

The only comparison I have is the Sportster. It's 1200 cc and I don't go crazy with it. That bike is fine as long as you go straight! It's like you have to work to turn it and consciously counter steer, where with the other bikes I have been on, you just turn by looking where you want to go. I've never been on a sport bike and haven't a clue how they handle.

·
Vendor
2,394 Posts
The only comparison I have is the Sportster. It's 1200 cc and I don't go crazy with it. That bike is fine as long as you go straight! It's like you have to work to turn it and consciously counter stear, where with the other bikes I have been on, you just turn by looking where you want to go. I've never been on a sport bike and haven't a clue how they handle.
In that case, please purchase a used Kawasaki EX500 for less than $2,000.
Ride it for a year or two and get comfortable on it. Then sell it for close to $1,500 to $2,000 and purchase a FZ-09 when you're ready.

Comparing a HD to the Yamaha 09 is almost impossible.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Jen;
As much as I love my '09, I would be hard pressed to recommend it to a relatively new rider. The thing is, if you were to make just ONE mistake, the possibility of something really bad happening is multiplied many times versus, say, making the same mistake on a 250 or 300. Specifically, throttle response is so instantaneous on the 09, that a newbie may not know how to react to any given situation and reacting incorrectly could be tragic. That a mistake could be made with a seasoned rider is possible as well, but the chances are much better that a well seasoned rider might not have gotten him/her self into that situation to begin with......and if he/she did, recovery and/or avoidance would be increased due to experience. The point is that any mistake will probably happen slower, both in speed and time to react, on a less powerful bike.
My recommendation, for whatever it's worth, would be a 300 Ninja. It sits a lot like the 09, though the bars are not as high, weighs a tad less, has a little wind protection, and is a great value. I would have the dealership change the god awful bias ply tires to radials before taking delivery.
If you must have the 09, please be very, very careful.
Welcome to the forum, whatever your decision!

·
Registered
106 Posts
I want my wife to buy a Ninja 300 so I can rip around on that little mamajama.
haha those lil ninja 300 and 250 are fun to rip around on! Gutless, but fun none the less. It was my girlfriend's bike and at 4'10" she had to lower it 2" to ride it comfortably. At 6'3" and 210 lbs i had to look like a bear on a trike on that thing.

Back to you though Jen, I would reccomend checking out the CB500F if you like the naked bike look and are unsure of the FZ09. Looks and seating position are similar.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Since I'm coming from the cruiser side, are displacement numbers different as far as handling? I have a 1200 cc 500 lb bike and a 650 cc 400 lb bike. In my head I don't understand why I would want a 250 cc or 500 cc bike. I am not familiar with this end of the market though. Wouldn't a 1000 cc bike be closer to what I have now? Please excuse the admitted ignorance...

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Since I'm coming from the cruiser side, are displacement numbers different as far as handling? I have a 1200 cc 500 lb bike and a 650 cc 400 lb bike. In my head I don't understand why I would want a 250 cc or 500 cc bike. I am not familiar with this end of the market though. Wouldn't a 1000 cc bike be closer to what I have now? Please excuse the admitted ignorance...
Big cc cruisers basically just make a lot of noise. When you get to sport and naked bikes having I4, triple, or even sport tuned twins, it's a whole different story.
Suzuki makes a neat 250 cc naked bike...don't remember the model. If you only want to go 45mph (I know that's a joke) stay far away from liter bikes and the FZ09...which will have you going 75 in 1st gear before you realize what's happened.

Edit...it's a GS250

·
Vendor
2,394 Posts
Yeah, cruisers and sport/standard bikes are like apples and oranges.
500cc or below will be more than adequate as a nice stepping stone into the "sport bike" world.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
You've been looking at the cc of the engines, the displacement, that is only one of many design factors that determine how much power an engine makes. What counts is peak horse power and how easy/practical the power curve of the engine is.

In general cruisers make far less HP for their engine size than other types of bikes do. The power of the FZ 09 threw out it's RPM range combined with it's lower weight will make it feel like a military missile compared to the 1200 you've been on. The 09 has around 105HP at the rear wheel (sometimes HP numbers for a vehicle are from the crankshaft and will be higher), for your experience you'd be better off with around 50HP, something like a 500cc twin cylinder standard bike.

I think in your other thread someone posted a Honda 500, that's a good bike. My first street bike (I had a lot of dirt experience) was around 37HP and 400 pounds, it had ample power for riding with a passenger, 600 mile days on the interstate, etc.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts