Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, I am shopping around for a new bike and I got approved to get either the 2014 FZ6 or the FZ09. But I am more interested in the FZ09. So I'll see you guys around if I do get it.

Also, I hope you guys can confirm this for me. The dealership said the FZ09 can only be lowered 1 inch. I would like it to drop 3 inches of possible. Is it true that it can only be drop 1 inch or else its not rideable?

Thanks.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Do you want to lower the bike for your leg length? What is your inseam?

There are already reports of 09s that haven't been lowered bottoming out and getting damage around the oil drain plug.

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
Dropping the bike three inches will ruin the bikes handling and you will surely bust the oil pan. Sounds like it is not the right bike for you.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My inseam measures around 28/29

After looking at it, I think I shouldn't get it and getting the oil pan damage cause it's pretty expose on the bottom.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Hopefully some 09 riders with your inseam will post here, and you can look around the forum for related threads.

I'm 5'11" and a bit long legged, so not a personal issue to me, but I'm pissed off at the motorcycle industry that there aren't more full size standard, sport, etc bikes that are friendly to short inseams. Bolt on sub frames are common, make the dang bikes with more than one set of mount points on the main frame, so seat height can be changed.

Yeah, coffee and old age, can lead to ranting....

·
Registered
473 Posts
this bike sits quite low already. I sat on a couple adventure bikes and I could barely touch. My inseam is 30 inches. I guess some cruiser bikes are very very low. Honda Grom? HAHA

·
Vendor
2,394 Posts
You can drop an inch by shaving the seat down...
But as long as one leg can touch/tippy toe you should not be worried.

·
Registered
127 Posts
The 09 settles in from new also.. I'm 5'6".. I started out on my toes. After a little while on the bike I was standing on the balls of my feet. I was initially worried about seat height but that's not even an issue now.. I definitely wouldn't lower this bike tho..

·
Registered
619 Posts
i've got a 30" inseam and can get both heels down on the ground. My last bike (Husqvarna TR 650) was so tall i could only touch my tip toes. If you have riding experience, i'd think you'd be okay. If you're a beginner, maybe look for something else first.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Do a search on "lowering links". I wear 29 inseam jeans. I started off by keeping rear suspension soft, raised forks .7 in tree and would sit off slightly to the left and could easily flat foot the left side. Like tall dirt bikes require only not so much.

I bought Soupy's lowering links (on the web) and after installing them figured I lost too much ground clearance on my favorite road so I made a pair myself that lowered it about .8 instead of around 1.4 with Soupy's. Now I have the shock in the rear with -1 from max preload and forks back down in tree as originally set with preload max-3 rings. I flat foot easy enough on flat roads and maybe a little less on one side if road is crowned a lot.

Lowering the FZ-09 3 inchs would just be stupid and ruin the bike. Simple test: Take 4 pieces of 8 by 1 by 4 boards to dealer. Remove any preload with stock suspension. sit on bike and see how it feels with 1 board under each foot and then try 2. Be careful and don't let them slip and you dump the bike. It should tell you what you need to know. Now a 1 by is not really 1 inch thick, you probably know that.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts