Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There is nothing worse than seeing your new $250 Givi or Shad box bouncing down the road in your rear view mirrors. This happened to me several years ago. :mad:

DO NOT TRUST THE STOCK RACK MOUNT TO SECURE THE BOX.

From the Sport Touring forums comes cheap insurance to keep that from happening. All you need do is pin your box to your rack with a $1.50 clevis pin.

Step 1. Drill a hole trough your box and through the rack.

Step 2: With suitable washers as support mount the pin through the hole.

Step 3: Insert the pin. Voila', your box will stay put no matter what.

·
Registered
978 Posts
I too lost a box many years ago. (20 - 30)? I can't remember the brand now though but it was probably a cheap knock off (yup I admit to usually being that type hehe)

I mounted a SHAD 49 liter top box and love it. I am very impressed with the clever way this box opens and removes and that you can lock it or leave it unlocked (convenient for just running back from the 7-11 with a loaf of bread, etc.)

You have me concerned now. I hate to have to add your solution (great idea) but hate losing the ability to easy remove the box without the additional step. I will do some research (google) to see if there are any mentions of this case being lost before making a decision.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Any rear case can come loose from a hard jolt due to a pot hole etc. This is a much better idea than my bolt/nut remedy.

This idea will give you peace of mind.

·
Registered
962 Posts
A really good idea - especially when you have a plastic adapter plate. When you go cross country I'd suggest putting the pin inside - and putting a piece of duct tape over it.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
I've had a Givi topcase on my FZ6 for 70k miles and have never had a problem :dontknow:

...and I've hit potholes so hard they've bent my rear wheel.

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
I was following a buddy to Road Atlanta when the top to his bagger came open and blew all of his clothes around me. We were laughing our ass off as we were running around collecting his shit as truckers were driving over his clothes. Unscheduled stop at Walmart for duct tape and clothing ensued.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I'm with lucky devil, I've toured over 25K miles with my Givi Monokey mounted to a rack with a adapter plate, never had an Issue, it locks in well and I've hit plenty of bumps, potholes, etc. But hey I guess things happen, My case is locked onto the plate with a key.

·
Registered
962 Posts
It might be the difference between monokey and monolock - but I watched one pop off a VStrom when the owner lifted up the bike from the rear to put a 2x4 under the centerstand. I like how easily my 39l OEM Yamaha goes on and off the OEM rack and it's securing latch is heavier duty than my monolock K37's was - but I'm probably going to do a variation of this. I think I'll drill through the box and rack - then tap some threads into the rack and use a low profile thumbscrew inside the bag. Yeah, I know - overkill...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts