Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
She's a week old now, done 540 miles & will have her first service next week. I've had no problems at all, she runs great & everything works & no funny noises.

I love this bike, there's been two bikes in my riding career that have lit my fire, one was the Yamaha 350 LC & this one. I'll keep this MT09 for a long time, i'm a keeper & i like to get real familiar with my bikes & learn to ride each one to the best of my abilities.

In winter my 'pleasure' bike goes in the warm dry garage & hibernates & i switch to my Suzuki RV 125 Van van for the daily winter slog, i can't be arsed sitting in the heavy traffic around the Dartford Crossing so i'll ride whatever the weather.

I've never had a bike with electronic trickery, not even ABS & i like it the electronics work a treat. I sold my Kawasaki ER6f & put the money down on the MT09 - best move i've made for a long time.

The MT also matches 'er indoors motor a sort of his 'n hers except mines faster.

The accessories are on their way in, screen, heated grips, tank pads, tail tidy, wheel & crash protection, maybe a seat cowl & side panels, belly pan, levers & anything else of interest.

My friend has just bought a 2019 MT07 & i rode it home 56 miles for him so i got a bit of a feel for the 07. It's better than a ER6 me thinks. We both went out today for a fun ride, 07 & 09 & the 09 is in a different world as you can imagine, ride is much smoother due to the plush suspension & in a drag race the 09 leaves the 07 in the dust easily.

I've got an appointment at FTR suspension next week & i can't wait to see how she handles when set-up for me by the pro's.

Toecutter.

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
Congrats. The FZ, to me also, was a fire starter... Game changing bike. I know how you feel.

I've gotta try one of the new ones someday.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Will be interested to hear how the suspension setup goes.
Alexander (i think) on here has had his done already & reckons its a great improvement.

I'll post my findings when its done, i've planned a 106 mile ride up there & the same back for different types of road so hopefully i'll notice the difference going & coming back :D

Toecutter.

·
Premium Member
2,934 Posts
You guys with the later 09s are so lucky.
In 2014 I was one of the guys that purchased an "almost ready to ride" motorcycle kit from Yamaha.
I spent the bucks and did the work. It worked out in the end but something ready to farkle would have been nice.
You people are so spoiled! :sneaky:

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
You guys with the later 09s are so lucky.
In 2014 I was one of the guys that purchased an "almost ready to ride" motorcycle kit from Yamaha.
I spent the bucks and did the work. It worked out in the end but something ready to farkle would have been nice.
You people are so spoiled! :sneaky:
Yeah, for real… my $6,000 bike needed $4,000 of mods, but now I love it. :LOL:

·
Registered
2021 MT-09 SP (If it ever shows up)
2 Posts
me watching everyone else get their SP while i wait for my "July 1" delivery to arrive.

Congrats on the bike, looks great!

·
Registered
2021 Yamaha MT-09 SP
18 Posts
Congrats on the SP! Great bike. Kinda matches the color of the Ford in the background.

·
Registered
2016 XSR900 60th Anniv. Edition
2,918 Posts
Ha! It’s kinda like buying a power tool from Harbor Freight. It’s a great bargain, but the first thing you do when you get it home is take it apart and fix it. Then it’s great!

·
Registered
191 Posts
The accessories are on their way in, screen, heated grips, tank pads, tail tidy, wheel & crash protection, maybe a seat cowl & side panels, belly pan, levers & anything else of interest.
are you using the genuine Yamaha heated grips? If so are they the same as the 2017-2020 MT09?
I’m considering trading in my 2017 MT09 for a 2021 SP. If the Yamaha heated grips are still plug and play I’ll remove them before my trade in

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
are you using the genuine Yamaha heated grips? If so are they the same as the 2017-2020 MT09?
I’m considering trading in my 2017 MT09 for a 2021 SP. If the Yamaha heated grips are still plug and play I’ll remove them before my trade in
I can only guess their the same but i'd check if i were you. I've only had my baby for 3 weeks & am still very much on the learning curve of all things MT09

Toecutter.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I can only guess their the same but i'd check if i were you. I've only had my baby for 3 weeks & am still very much on the learning curve of all things MT09

Toecutter.
Thanks. So you don't have the heated grips installed yet, or do you have ones from a third party? If so which heated grips do you have?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks. So you don't have the heated grips installed yet, or do you have ones from a third party? If so which heated grips do you have?
I've got the official Yamaha ones on order, expensive i know but i can see & control them from my dash. Oxford ones are very good & a third of the price but i don't really want another item (control unit) clipped to my handlebars.
Toecutter.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts