Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't have the bike yet, but planning on ordering soon and I'd like to have a few parts ready to install asap. I'm trying to figure out what to order to install led turn signals and I've read tons of threads, but it seems that there are various solutions and parts available. My goal is to have led signals with stock functionality (running lights in the front).

Here's what I've gathered so far, so please correct me if I'm wrong with anything.

I need 3 wire leds for the front and 2 or 3 wire for the back. I'll need a blinker relay that simply plugs in to replace the stock relay. And lastly, I'll need a blinker genie that converts the 3 wire front signals to a 2 wire that has running light functionality.

Am I missing anything? Are there plugs that I can order and solder to the aftermarket signals so that they can connect without splicing wires? I'm comfortable with wiring, but would like to the keep bike's wires as untouched as possible. So I like to incorporate factory terminals and plugs when I can.

Thanks!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
if you get 3 wire LEDs you won't need the blinker genie. The blinker genie is essentially to convert a 2 wire LED in to a 3 wire LED. Most LEDs are only 2 wire though. Everything else sounds spot on though.

As for plugs i ordered the ones in this thread since my LED signals had barrel connectors. Very convenient.

http://www.fz09.org/forum/10-fz-09-builds/848-turn-signal-connectors.html

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
I know Light Tech makes an LED turn signal with running lights, and there are a few others as well.

Motostarz sells some a few different ones. They also sell the CustomLED blinker genies and relay, and adapter plates, signal extenders, etc.
Aftermarket Performance Parts and Accessories for Yamaha FZ-09 / MT-09 2013, 2014, 2015 | Motostarz USA | Motostarz.com

You can also find the LED flasher relay, for a lot less money at SuperBrightLEDs, for $8.95
https://www.superbrightleds.com/search/flashers-load-resistors/motorcycle flasher/

They also sell quick a few LEDs for motorcycle at a great price, just no turn signals so far.
https://www.superbrightleds.com/cat/motorcycle/

I have some of these that I want to add to the brake light circuit down around the passenger pegs.
https://www.superbrightleds.com/mor...es-miniature-rectangle-accent-light-black/25/

There are also quite a few LED turn signals on eBay for a good price. Just be prepared to have then take a bit of time to show up if they are coming from China for a good price. The free shipping is just regular post which isn't the fastest.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok, so to be clear. If I get the LighTech signals with 3 wire / running lights, then all I need is the plug and play relay to control the blink rate?

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
Ok, so to be clear. If I get the LighTech signals with 3 wire / running lights, then all I need is the plug and play relay to control the blink rate?
Yes, the plug and play relay is needed to slow down the blink rate, because there is less resistance from the LED signal lights. I have heard of the odd case where adding LED's the signal light just comes on and doesn't blink at all. This being the case where the resistance is so low the flashed doesn't think it is connected to any turn signal bulb at all. Kind of like on some cars when you have one turn signal burnt out, the other one doesn't flash.

You can experiment and see if not adding the relay is ok. I know a few guys who have changed their bikes over to LED turn signals and don't bother slowing down the blink rate. Some people find the faster blink rate to be annoying, since it catches their eye, but isn't that the point? You want people to notice your signal lights when they are flashing. Maybe the faster than normal blink rate isn't such a bad thing, lol.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
^ I didn't mind the faster rate so long as they all were at the same rate haha. Only reason I got the flasher relay was, if I recall correctly, there is a DOT requirement for a certain flash rate. I do not know if the faster rate exceeds this, but figure for 15 bucks it's not a big deal.

edit: wiki says DOT flash rate is 1-2 Hz.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Interested in the LighTech signals that have integrated brake lights (rear) and running lights (front). And then I'll get a relay for the flash rate. Thanks a lot!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts